A few weeks ago, I was at Joann's and found this great (or so I thought) cotton lawn. I'm a sucker for border prints and it was red tag plus an extra 50% off so I got a few yards.
Of course, I go to pre-wash it and it turns out it's not color fast and stains itself, plus the print is off-grain. Well darn. It also irons terribly and I didn't realize the border wasn't the same on both salvages until after I cut it into pieces. Though that wasn't too too bad, since the difference was an extra stripe and I could just cut it off.
I ended up putting together a dress and skirt to use up all the fabric quickly and forget about the issues I had with it. I'm pretty happy with them, and I like that with a nice blouse, socks/shoes, and petticoat I can probably use them for a more lolita look (what do you think? yes/no?).
I only used a pattern for the dress bodice. It's McCall's M5232 chopped off at the waist and with a square neckline (I think this was my first square neckline and I'm pretty happy with how it worked out).
The bow and waist tie are both removable. The bow has a pin back but it's a little heavy so I end up using a few safety pins as well.
here it is with the extras removed:
and it's fully lined:
The skirt is half elastic waist with box pleats in the front and gathering in back.
It's also fully lined...
... and has pockets that are invisible if you don't know they're there, which I love
I matched the pattern on the skirt seams, though not on the dress.
Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking