A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altering a top into a two-Piece sexy matching outfit  (Read 1954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkyDoll
« on: January 26, 2011 09:10:55 AM »

My Post Entry Link: http://www.diyfashiondiva.com/fashion/two-piece-sexy-mid-century-costume-tutorial

A lot of times altering clothes is easier than you thought it would be. Instead of let your old clothes sit in the closet and do nothing but taking up your precious space, why not try and turn it into something useful?  Something that you might actually use or wear. All it takes is maybe 30 minutes of your time and some simple sewing tools.

This project is all about making a one piece top into a two piece sexy matching outfit. The original top is cute but slightly too long and outdated for my taste. I bought it back in college and i can honestly tell you, i never even wear it out once. Certain clothes you just know it doesnt look flattering on our body type, and this is one of them.

Dont get me wrong, i love the material of the top and that is the main reason why i bought it in the first place. So since it have potential, i just have to work on the redesigning part. The idea is turn old clothes into new style while doing as less work as possible. I like to draw out my ideas because it kinda help the process since i am a visual type of person.

Anyhow, my design sketch is finish and it seems super easy and achievable. The idea is make two straight cuts down the middle of the top.

The first cut will be along the line of the rubber band part to make the lower portion of the top into a mini skirt. Not much sewing needed for that except for hiding the edge along where i made the cut. I just turn in forward the inside part of the rubber band and hand sew to keep them hidden inside. The length of the skirt work out perfect so i didnt need to do anymore adjustments there.

The second cut will be cutting the excess off the top to make it into desire length. we will need to add a rubble band along the bottom part to make the top fit a little better and that also help the whole design look more cohesive. Adding rubber band require to leave at least 1and a half inch extra for sewing and making a case to hold the rubber band in place. A super easy way to so is fold the bottom part in to create a inch overlap, sew along the half inch line on the double layer and leave a small part un-sew to insert the rubber band in and out. Once rubber band is connected i just close the gap with needle and thread.

The extra parts that was cut off can be use for making hair or other matching accessories. I simply made a matching bow and added a pin holder in the back so i can easily pin that onto any part of my outfit. The finishing product is good for beach wear and Halloween costume party. Believe me, no one would even think that you made it yourself.

The Original Top:

After:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011 09:13:57 PM by PinkyDoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gooberts

Gooberts.etsy.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011 04:01:55 PM »

this is awsome! thank you! (that's a big cat)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Because I said sew!!

WATCH OUT PROJECT RUNWAY...I'm coming to getcha...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Age Copper
How to Age Paper
How to Age Wood
How to Antique Your Own Paper
How to Applique Quilts
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...