A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: interfacing HELL!!!!  (Read 1622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joanita
Tutorial Contributor

What's this?

i wish i could buy time so i could give it to us.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2005 02:58:22 PM »

I decided to give interfacing a try. I cut it to shape [tote bag], ironed it on and started sewing, but the interfacing constantly got stuck on my machine and made my needle all gooey. in order to finish the bag I had to spray WD-40[?!?!?!] so the interfacing could glide in the machine. I bought a roll of Heatbond iron on interfacing. What am I doing wrong??

Help greatly appreciated,
Joanna.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the cutest gravedigger
medea
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005 03:20:12 PM »

Same thing happened to me with the adhesive hook and loop tape. I don't trust the glue to hold to repeated washings, so i'm not sure if it could be that the iron on/sticky stuff is not supposed to be sewed on...  I usually use the non sticky type interfacing, and just sew it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewsimple
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005 10:49:15 PM »

Hi,
I think I know what might be wrong.
You said you bought a roll of heat bond interface.
You might want to check you wrapper to make sure you have interfacing, I believe what you might have is a thermo-web iron on adhesive and when you sew it, yes, it will gum up the needle. This is usually used when making applique projects to make them stick while u sew them.
If this is not case,
you might still try purchasing iron on interefacing from a bolt at the fabric store, you can choose how stiff you want your project to be, and is not very expensive.

How to apply Interfacing:
I lay the fabric on the ironing board with the interfacing on top, be sure the lil glue dots are facing the fabric.
I lightly spray the project with water to dampen the entire area that is to be interfaced.
Lay a damp cloth,(a pillow case works well too) over it and press with you iron on a heat setting that the fabric can stand without burning.
Be sure to work a section at a time by lifting the iron straight up and moving it over, and not sliding it over.
let it finnish air drying if needed.

Tip: touch the tip of the iron lightly over a couple of spots directly on the interface to hold it in place before you begin the above process.

This has always given me great results everytime.

Let me know if this helps...
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewsimple
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005 10:53:07 PM »

Hi,
This is a reply for the sticky loop and hoop tape.
usually there is a narrow edge on the sides of the tape...where there is no loops or hoops attached to it...
if you sew just along these two edges you will miss most of the glue.

Hope this helps

Dora
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joanita
Tutorial Contributor

What's this?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005 04:17:49 PM »

ha ha oh my god SEWSIMPLE thank you so much I dug up the wrapper and yes it says thermo web. I guess I might have to ask around my local shop for interfacing. I wonder how it's called in spanish??  thanks lots.
joanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the cutest gravedigger
Sewsimple
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005 09:40:21 PM »

Hi Joanna,
Glad I could be of help, funny I happen to be spanish but I did not know the word for interfacing... but I went to a site that translates words from english to spanish... I you would like the link here it is

http://www.diccionarios.com/index.phtml?redirect=true

oh, and here is your word for interfacing in spanish "entretela"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhimsyTyme
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005 07:29:55 AM »

How to apply Interfacing:
I lay the fabric on the ironing board with the interfacing on top, be sure the lil glue dots are facing the fabric.
I lightly spray the project with water to dampen the entire area that is to be interfaced.
Lay a damp cloth,(a pillow case works well too) over it and press with you iron on a heat setting that the fabric can stand without burning.
Be sure to work a section at a time by lifting the iron straight up and moving it over, and not sliding it over.
let it finnish air drying if needed.

Tip: touch the tip of the iron lightly over a couple of spots directly on the interface to hold it in place before you begin the above process.

This has always given me great results everytime.

Let me know if this helps...
Good Luck!

I have been running into the interfacing just not sticking well.  I am using Pellon heavy weight on a fairly mid (maybe light) weight cotton, as I want a nice stiff initial feel.  Too, the bags I am making are washed several times a week and I know the fusing will eventually give a little.  My iron is a Rowenta and gets pretty darn hot!  But the interfacing still doesn't stick completely.  I loved the simplicty of your method.  But, when I tried it,  the peeling away was actually worse.  I am wondering if it is the steam from the spray, could I have dampened it too much?  Love the pillow case idea! 

I gotta figure out how to get this stuff to stick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medea
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005 01:09:44 PM »

ha ha oh my god SEWSIMPLE thank you so much I dug up the wrapper and yes it says thermo web. I guess I might have to ask around my local shop for interfacing. I wonder how it's called in spanish??  thanks lots.
joanna

Here I go to the store and ask for "peln" Tongue  And then specify if it's the sticky type or the regular sew on.

Generally though, the attendants just purse their lips and use them to point to the store section where the interfacing is kept.

BTW... I made a messenger bag and used thick interfacing... but it's still floppy! any extra hints on how to strengthen the bag? I was thinking that maybe adding that plastic canvas thing or a junky plastic placemat cut to size..

any hints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sinisterspark
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005 05:16:20 AM »

I guess in my experience non-sticky interfacing seems stiffer... when I want it extra-tough, I just double the interfacing.  I also sometimes just add a layer of foam.  The foam makes it stand up a bit and gives it body without looking like a limp piece of cardboard :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joanita
Tutorial Contributor

What's this?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005 08:23:17 PM »

oh I did't knew that pellon was same as interfacing I've only seen it on  embroideries. I'll check it out thanks for the help.
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the cutest gravedigger
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Super Bowl Party Ribs Recipe
Super Bowl Party Chicken Wings Recipe
How to Make Party Shrimp Caesar Salad for Super Bowl
Seared Scallops with Roasted Beets and Garden Herb Salad
Roasting and Preparing Beets
Latest Blog Articles
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...