A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need advice on grading down a vintage pattern  (Read 598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feedthesquirrels
« on: August 13, 2010 09:16:00 PM »

I inherited a huge stash of vintage sewing patterns and fabrics a couple of years ago when a friend's grandmother passed away. She made all of her own clothes and obviously had excellent taste! My favorites are the 60's era McCall's, they look like something Joan would wear to the office on Mad Men. Especially this...

The problem is that all of these super fabulous patterns I'm dying to make are a much larger size than I am. Most of these fit a 39-41 inch bust and I am a scant 31 1/2. I've made a few dresses from simple modern patterns (with lots of mistakes and trial and error...but I'm getting there). Should I bother trying to grade this pattern down or will it just make me want to stab myself in the ear with dressmaker's shears? I've also thought about trying to find some sort of vintage pattern swap so any suggestions there would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my sewing adventures at http://shonastitches.blogspot.com
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010 09:18:16 PM »

Well, aside from stabbing oneself in the ear with shears, I'd say use your basic block if you have one or make one if you don't, and then use that to "re-create" the patterns you'd like to copy. So you'd be taking your personalized "basic bodice" block, but applying darts in the same places as M8101, shaping the armscye to be similar to M8101, etc, etc. Same deal with a "basic skirt" block, "basic pant" block, what have you. You'll have to make at least one mock-up of the new-and-improved M8101, but you'll get the same look with a personalized fit.

Please note, I'm a lazy seamstress and don't have any basic blocks myself Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feedthesquirrels
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010 10:39:56 AM »

That's a good idea! I was about to go experiment with the cut and spread method mentioned here (http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4368/making-sense-of-pattern-grading), but if it begins to look too stab inducing I may resort to making myself a bodice block instead. All of these vintage patterns follow pretty closely to that anyway, I would just need to make adjustments to the darts and such. I'm not sure how I'd deal with the round neck facings like this one has though. I'm thinking just cut out the original onto my muslin and use my dress form to figure out where I need to trim it. Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my sewing adventures at http://shonastitches.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Modifying Vectors Using the Selection Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Line and Paint Bucket Tools
Macromedia Flash 8 - Distinguishing Between Strokes and Fills
Macromedia Flash 8 - Exploring the Pencil Tool Options
Macromedia Flash 8 - Setting Up the Drawing Preferences
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...