A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My four year old wants to be a whoopie cushion for halloween.  (Read 729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jatctt
« on: August 13, 2010 02:37:19 PM »

Long time lurker here finally posting  Grin
Anyone want to help me brainstorm? I am a novice seamstress but I can handle this I think. I was thinking of having the nozzle end at the top and having a place cut out for his face just below it. I was thinking of using a hula hoop to keep the shape and possibly putting in some batting to fill it out. BUT if I use batting is there a way to keep it from falling out the leg holes? (If I have him wear pink pants and just cut out holes for the legs) Also do you think the hula hoop would be uncomfortable? Does anyone have another idea to help it keep its shape? I was also thinking if I cut out WHOOPIE or WHOOPIE CUSHION from felt and used spray adesive to attatch the letters that it would help define what he is, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AshtonagoL
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010 11:38:38 AM »

Lol.  What a cute idea.  I think your idea sounds pretty good.  I don't know about the hula hoop.  I think it would be fine if he'll just be trick or treating on foot but if he'll have to get in the car in it or sit down at a Halloween party it might not be very easy.  I made M&M costumes for my kids a couple of years ago so I think they would've been 2 and 4 and I just used felt.  No batting and nothing to keep the shape.  They stayed circle pretty well.  I'd definitely put some wording or something on it to help people figure out what it is.  Cute idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010 06:39:39 AM »

That.  Is.  Hilarious.

I'd definitely use flesh or pink felt (the 72" stuff on a bolt) to form the body to cut down on finishing time and also to help with mimicking the form.  The hula hoop's not a bad idea, but spring steel or plastic boning may be a better choice because they're flexible and will spring back into shape when he sits and stands.  Have a look at commercial M&Ms costumes for face/ arm placement.  You could also put him in a pink turtleneck and make the nozzle into a hat.  As for the batting, I'd make the cushion in two halves, line both sides and stuff them, then sew them together (think 2 big, round, flat pillows.)

Totally agree about the lettering- to get the best 'professional look' you should find a picture of the bubble lettering and blow it up/ make a grid pattern instead of just winging it, imo and if you cut it out of felt just tack it on with a few stitches- felt adheres to itself pretty nicely and spray adhesive can get a little weird and messy on that material.  I'll be really excited to see this if/ when you make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AshtonagoL
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010 08:53:49 AM »

Walmart sells a whoopie cushion costume for men so you might be able to look at that for ideas too.  It looks like its felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about the Shutter Speed
Learn about ISO Sensitivity
How to use the Metering Mode - Canon 40D DVD
How to work with shutter Speed
How to Change Your Focus Squares - Canon 40D
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...