A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Junque Journal Along - Closed  (Read 10756 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2010 02:57:31 AM »

I know that there are already the 'Ongoing Altered Journal along' and the 'SkecthBook project along'
But this is still something different.
I learned about them watching this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tangiebaxter#p/a/u/2/FpZ-tv5TsjM
So basically it's a composition notebook* which you paint/colour/glitter/ anything you want, where you can stick items in you found/want to keep but don't know what to do with them, basically the junk you've been hording collecting for a long time.
Instead of making it looking arty, you can just do your own thing, it doesn't matter if it's nice or not, just think of it as a book you can wreck and stuff, so you can do more in this one than thinking ooh I can't do that or I don't dare to do that... (am I making sense?)

Here's a list of items:
Cards from Birthday, weddings, ...
cards received through swaps
drawings from your kids (or yourself)
entrance tickets to events, cinema, amusement parks, museums,
Tickets from train, bus, plane,
Tickets from restaurant, cafe, which you really enjoyed
Teabags
Fortune cookie thingies
Magazine clippings
Poststamps
Letters
Tags from clothing
The list is endless

Items you can use to decorate your junque journal:
Old paint
Old markers
Pencils
Sharpies
Paper
Chinese ink
Pastels
Ribbons
Stamps
Tape
Wrapping paper
Old gift bags

More videos with tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tangiebaxter#p/a/u/1/ZBQtYYwYSrE
http://www.youtube.com/user/tangiebaxter#p/a/u/0/FeESd-nCGYU
http://www.youtube.com/user/ikerrilove#p/u/20/p9sMlW0cEo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvU7JMgjSo&p=C864EA057489C5C0&playnext=1&index=14
http://www.youtube.com/user/ikerrilove#p/a/u/1/McntvGM2KH0

Inspiration:
A flickr group about junque journal
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1453067@N25/pool/
The Altered-Journal along:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search2;topic=248633.0;search=img;show_complete=true;sort=ID_MSG|desc

*If you don't have such a notebook, like I did, just grab a notebook with a hard cover.

I started on mine a while ago, worked on it one evening.
Don't have pics just yet but I'll show them.
I hope some of you love this idea and would want to craft this along with me!

Who's in? (posted pics of their journal)
- Riechan
- Calluna
- Kittymom13
- DizzerspinninRound
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012 08:50:34 AM by Riechan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010 12:57:05 PM »

I'm in love! Jumping on this project today! It's like the "whimsy albums," except for paper people.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
calluna
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010 11:39:46 PM »

All right, finally a couple progress pics! I'm spending all too much time on this project and enjoying it greatly.  Smiley

I ended up getting the same Distress Ink that the lady used in the video because I really like the color and had nothing comparable in my paint or ink colors.  Smiley Most pages have either a large magazine image or scrapbook paper glued to them, but aren't "complete" yet, so I'll show shots of specific pages as they come along. there's yarn, raffia and ribbon distributing the weight away from the seam of the spine. I've painted a few pages too; will likely do more as I add more images. I'm gluing most things into the book with rubber cement, which makes it easier to remove them from the book for a future project (I feel like I'm making less of a commitment this way! Cheesy And that helps open my mind to what I can add to it).

I don't know if it will go into the junque journal or a separate whimsy album (which has not otherwise been started), but I'm weaving my shorter ribbon and yarn scraps into a fiber page using a little loom I just cut out of matboard for this purpose. It's not a permanent woven item, just a prettier way of storing the scraps until I find a use for each of them!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010 11:42:33 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010 05:22:54 AM »

a fiber page, how cool is that! I still have to take pictures of mine but I'm just
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010 06:19:18 AM »

I made a video from my junque journal, you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_oiP36Xjc (I didn't know if I was allowed to post the video, so just the link Smiley )
I still need to take pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010 09:00:03 PM »

I love this idea! I have an altered book I have to use up old paint- it's been a sort of list book so far... maybe I'll post it later this week
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
morus
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010 08:52:42 AM »

I'm a little surprised that this thread has not had more activity.  I started my junque journal when you first posted and was totally obsessed for at least a week.  I did not spend much time decorating blank pages, but rather jumped in with lots of cards and things and glue.  Lots of glue.  <S>  Thanks so much for sharing this way of keeping my "junque" in one place instead of piles all over.  Are you still working in your journal?  Have fun!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010 02:37:29 AM »

I used so. much. glue. I went through an entire jar of rubber cement and at least 10 glue sticks. That made me slow down some. I have a few photos but I've made many changes since I took the photos, including tearing out a bunch of pages and images (the book was getting ridiculously fat and even closing it with a big rubber band could hardly keep it at 90 degrees of width! so I'll need to make a 2nd one.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010 04:01:48 AM »

I'm a little surprised that this thread has not had more activity.  I started my junque journal when you first posted and was totally obsessed for at least a week.  I did not spend much time decorating blank pages, but rather jumped in with lots of cards and things and glue.  Lots of glue.  <S>  Thanks so much for sharing this way of keeping my "junque" in one place instead of piles all over.  Are you still working in your journal?  Have fun!   

yes, I thought it would gain a bit more activity but it didn't. I'm very glad I could help!
And show it to us! I'd love to see the journal!
I'm still working in mine, thought things have slowed down since college has started again for me. I have made some changes since the one on the youtube film so I'll have to make some pictures to show ^^

I used so. much. glue. I went through an entire jar of rubber cement and at least 10 glue sticks. That made me slow down some. I have a few photos but I've made many changes since I took the photos, including tearing out a bunch of pages and images (the book was getting ridiculously fat and even closing it with a big rubber band could hardly keep it at 90 degrees of width! so I'll need to make a 2nd one.)
hahaha Cheesy wow! Show us the picture from before you removed some pages. I'd love to see them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010 03:59:56 PM »

My bursting-at-the-seams JJ before taking out the pages:

Oddly, removing so much didn't really change how big it is!  Huh I guess it doesn't look too different from the photo I posted previously, but in the "before" photo the pages were just fanned out to make the book stand up and it could still could close easily...Now it's difficult to squish it down to that size.  Cheesy

Here's a spread from the book that came together accidentally, and I like it...the animal-print pocket holds a little envelope of dental x-rays.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010 04:04:10 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 3
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 2
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 1
How to Create a Title Screen with After Effects
How to Create a Title Screen in After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...