A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duck Hunt iPod Touch Pocket with Tutorial (LOTS of pics!)  (Read 3226 times)
Tags for this thread: ipod_case , cross_stitch , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OmegaChicken
« on: August 12, 2010 08:41:40 PM »

So I promised I'd put step-by-step instructions for making a sleeve for the iPod touch.  Actually, you can make a sleeve quite easily for anything, but the size I've developed fits only the iPod touch.  You'll have to size up your iPhone, Zune, PSP or DS yourself and make your own pocket, but you can use this guide to sew it together and finish it.

I posted the other sleeves I did http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=356049.0 and now I did a Duck Hunt inspired one.  

Font and back of finished piece.  I know the back side (the duck) is smaller in this photo, but it's just the hack n slash photo editing I did.

So here's the directions to make your own.  For the iPod touch, the full dimensions of the fabric are 46 stitches wide by 138 stitches tall on 14 count fabric.  Higher count fabrics end up being too flimsy and I don't recommend using them.  This allows you to stitch a 32 by 52 stitch image (give or take a couple of stitches).  This time, I stitched the images first, using the center of the fabric as the bottom for both images.

A problem I encountered from making the image first is that is loosens the fabric, making it more difficult to get a clean, secure cut in the bottom that allows for the connection of headphones and the dock to the iPod.  Therefore, the REAL first step is to create that hole.

I forgot to take detailed pictures during this step, so I'll recreate it using some scrap fabric I had.  Cut a slit in the center of the fabric, 68 stitches from each end and ten stitches in from each side. (This has changed from my original tutorial so that either side can be front/back)  Cut two stitches up and down from the ends of this long cut and fold the flaps toward the INSIDE of the pocket.  Again, if you fold it, the flaps will be inside the pocket where they'll be stitched securely to prevent fraying.  Backstitch along the center of one of the flaps to secure it to the inside of the pocket.

When you get to the end of the cut, loop the floss through the hole and back through the next stitch up.  Repeat until you cross to the other flap.

Backstitch along the next flap to secure it to the inside of the pocket.  Then do the looping thing back OVER that backstitch.  What you'll end up doing is backstitching and looping TWICE along each side of the hole.  As long as your last step is backstitching along the flaps, you'll hold the looped floss tight against the inside of the pocket.

It's best if you use a really really long single piece of floss (like half a skein long) to finish the hole rather than having to end off multiple times.  After you have the hole finished, you can get to work on the image.  Once you have the image done, you have to line the inside of the pocket.  Take a piece of fabric about 1" wider than the pocket and long enough to reach from the top of the pocket to the middle of the hole, and fold the edges of it so that it leaves 2 stitches at the sides of the pocket.

If the fabric has a design on it that you want to see inside the pocket, make sure that side is UP and the back of the lining is against the back of the image.  I had to use clothes pins to hold the lining tight against the pocket, but you can use pins or tape or whatever, as long as the lining is not bunching up or getting sewed in crookedly.  First, fold the top of one edge of the pocket toward the INSIDE OVER the lining.  Secure it and backstitch along it to attach the lining under the top of the pocket.  You can cut a bit from the corners of the lining if it helps keep the lining straight and the top of the pocket folded toward the inside.  I think you can see that I cut the corners on these pictures.

If you want to include a tag with a signature of some sort on it (like I do), make your signature on another piece of fabric and attach it UNDER the fold but OVER the lining and backstitch the lining secure onto the top of the BACK of the pocket.  This secures the tag and the lining on the same step and putting the tag on the BACK means it won't put extra pressure on the touch screen.  

I took 2 steps to do this by putting the tag on first, but you can combine the steps like I mentioned above.

Fold the bottom of the lining under itself at the bottom of the pocket by the hole you created earlier and backstitch it to the pocket two stitches from the looped floss securing the hole.  I do not have pictures for this step, but here you can see the top and bottom of each side of the inside lining secured to the pocket.

To secure the sides of the lining and create the pocket simultaneously fold the pocket so that the lining is on the OUTSIDE and backstitch UP from the hole to the top of the pocket.  Hold the lining with pins or tape so that it doesn't move while you're stitching.  Stitch it 3 stitches in from the edge to ensure a proper fit.  Use a long enough length of floss here so that you don't have to end off halfway through each side.  This step is hard to explain, but here goes: come UP THROUGH THE LINING on one side of the pocket

and go DOWN AROUND THE LINING on that side of the pocket and THROUGH the lining on the other side.

As you go down to the other side, you will go through the pocket AND the lining.  Remember, the pocket is folded onto itself in this step, so you're really sewing through BOTH sides of the pocket and the two pieces of lining fabric together.  Repeat this process until you get to the top of the pocket, and then repeat it again on the way back down.  You will notice that you will come UP THROUGH the lining on the same stitches you had gone AROUND the lining before, making what looks like a v-pattern.  If it looks like an x-pattern, you're doing it wrong.  Do the same on the other side.

Turn the pocket right side out by first folding the top over itself, then pulling the outside out rather than pushing the inside in.  If you push in inside in, you risk ripping the lining from the top of the pocket.

You also don't want to put undue stress on the sides of the pocket near the top.

Gently push the corners out using your finger through the hole at the bottom of the pocket.  Don't push too hard or you risk ripping the lining out here, too.

Slip your iPod in and you're ready to rock!

Of course, the pocket makes the touchscreen useless, but if you have a controller like me, you can operate the iPod's music functions while keeping the pocket on.  One final note: to remove the iPod from the pocket, hold the sides in one hand and push up from the bottom.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011 08:17:51 PM by OmegaChicken » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: stitchmond.etsy.com, full of nerd-crafted goods inspired by video games, books and movies and fueled with booze.
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010 09:14:02 PM »

Thanks for putting this tut together! Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010 09:21:31 PM »

Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

she goes la
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010 01:12:25 AM »

hey!
did you embroider this lovely green fabric yourself??
its so awesome!

(i'd love to know how you did it, if you have. i cant see how can i do it freely on the machine...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010 06:06:52 PM »

CUTE!!! I just hooked up my old skool nintendo last month & had a blast playing with my sister in law!

Thank you for sharing how you put it all together.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010 03:36:52 AM »

Great tutorial, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmoppet
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010 03:11:48 PM »

Ah, I remember spending many hours playing duck hunt.  I really love this duck hunt case.  I dont have an ipod but, Im invisioning a cell phone case or up sizing it for a coin pouch. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
haveyoumetlisa
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010 10:15:23 PM »

I loooooooove Duck Hunt!  This is a great design, and a great tutorial!  Thanks for that!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cygni
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011 10:55:16 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial! Now I think I want one of those...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emosauce

Too many ideas, so little time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011 12:25:36 PM »

These are so cool! I haven't done needlework in ages, but I'm bookmarking this as now I have the itch to start again. I also checked out your other game pockets, and those are awesome! I especially love the underwater Mario one and the Abe Lincoln one, but the Oregon Trail pocket is my favorite
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Edgy Cool at Prom
How to Find Your Perfect Prom Shoes
DIY: Perfect Pair of Cut-Off Shorts!
The Best Front Row Fashion at Paris Haute Couture Week
How to Shop at Thrift Stores
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...