A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art Journal & Hand-Made Journal  (Read 834 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Superhero With No Powers or Motivation

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2010 02:27:56 PM »

I've been wanting to venture into the art journaling and hand-bound books for a long while. I finally decided to just go for it.

For this one, I took an old sketchbook with a battered cover and only one page used. I erased the pencil on that page and am gonna use paints on all the pages here shortly (probably after I'm done posting!). I used a sheet of red scrapbook paper on the cover, bits cut out of magazines, markers, and microns on the cover. I intend this to be a journal we make with my stepson (he's 3!) while he stays with us for two weeks.

Last night I was playing FFXIV and decided to take a break. I wanted to do something, but it was too late to start a new painting (my first thought), so I decided to finally bite the bullet and try making my own book. It's a lot easier than I thought! Not like, super-easy, but I dunno what all my trepidation for the past 5 years has been for. I'm SO glad I did it. It's not perfect, certainly, but it's not bad either.

I gave it to my husband to fill for me. With sketches, poetry, haiku, or whatever he wants.

I had cardboard inserts from some origami paper packs. I made sure they matched in size. I cut some basic copy paper and glued it to the cover, then I glued origami paper over that, wrapping it and gluing it to the inside. I covered the inside of each cover with a (cut to size) piece of construction paper to hide those seams. There are 7 signatures in all. 4 of copy paper, 3 of card stock (for painting, markers, etc). The end pages are glued to the cover and that's where I'm least happy. I put them in the center at first, not thinking it would, uh, keep you from being able to open the book. So I had to peel them up *wince* and re-glue them. So the end paper on the back cover is kind of messed up, BUT. It wouldn't be a first time attempt at something handmade if there wasn't some kind of noticeable mistake, right?

Site: http://www.heroic-leigh.com
Wist: http://wists.com/tadiera
Pintrest: http://www.pintrest.com/tadiera
Note for partners: I have gauged ears, so classic earrings don't really work for me. Smiley
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010 02:32:24 PM »

Both of these look great!  You should  be proud you dived into the world of bookmaking.  You did a great job!  Enjoy making your journal with your stepson, what a wonderful project to share.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Convert a Crochet Pattern Into a Knitting Pattern
Single Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet a Purse
How to Recycle Household Items Into Handmade Ornaments
How to Sew a Button By Hand
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...