A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Stereotypical Knitter  (Read 38760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cdngreenie
« Reply #340 on: December 02, 2007 10:17:14 PM »

I get the "grandma" comments a lot... and at 25, I just kind-of laugh.  It hasn't been a real big bother to me, yet.  Maybe because I have a whole circle of friends who knit (kind-of as a "hey, you knit, can you teach me?" kind of thing) and we all hang out once a week to gossip and knit now, so I've got support.

though it did always feel strange to have to help my Grandma remember how to bind off at the end of a project.  Grandchildren are not supposed to be re-teaching their grandparents ingrained skills.

I think the thing that really makes me feel good about it is that, as my aunt puts it, I'm a "survivor."  I can make jam and can food, I can create my own clothing, and be self-sufficient.  (sure, it'd take all winter to make a sweater, but still... I could make it myself!)  And to me, that's such an empowering thing... to know that I can take raw materials and make something of it... that any of us can.  It sets us apart, and if that's antiquated, so be it.  In times of need, we aren't going to be desperate for blankets or mittens... just yarn, and I'm sure it'll be easy enough to find sheep!  haha  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: December 03, 2007 04:04:51 PM »

thankfully, i haven't gotten any bad comments yet.  (i've only been going for a month and a half, so there's still time  Wink).  most of my friends/family have been very sopportive.  my boyfriend asked for a scarf as a gift, but "only if you have time".  i had him pick out the yarn, and he had to rub it on his face before he could pick the softest-yet still cost efficient- skein.  one thing that drives me nuts is how much yarn costs!  $44 for one 91m skein--holy schnikey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
Madeleine09
« Reply #342 on: December 03, 2007 04:33:37 PM »

I think the thing that really makes me feel good about it is that, as my aunt puts it, I'm a "survivor."  I can make jam and can food, I can create my own clothing, and be self-sufficient.  (sure, it'd take all winter to make a sweater, but still... I could make it myself!)  And to me, that's such an empowering thing... to know that I can take raw materials and make something of it... that any of us can.  It sets us apart, and if that's antiquated, so be it.  In times of need, we aren't going to be desperate for blankets or mittens... just yarn, and I'm sure it'll be easy enough to find sheep!  haha  Cheesy

I live in the frozen north (it was -15 here yesterday) and have actually been told a few times by people that they are coming to live with me when the next ice age hits. LOL. It was a nice complement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: December 03, 2007 05:11:27 PM »

I had my knitting (purple socks for a Christmas present) with me today at college and got all sorts of comments. One girl asked what I was "sewing."  Roll Eyes But all of the comments were positive and I may have the core of an on campus knitting group ready to form. I think this is hilarious because my last time round at Uni, when I suggested a knitting group (for stress management etc), I was darn nearly run out of the Womyn's Centre on a rail!! But that was ten years ago and I think we've all figured out that knitting does not an anti-feminist make.

It was -20C today but at least the wind let up. We hit -27C windchill yesterday. I think this kind of climate encourages people to view anyone who can produce warm wearable items as some kind of minor goddess/god (which, of course, we all are!). Heh.

I do think my best knitting in public double takes were a couple of years ago when I had short, spiky, bright purple hair Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superchloe
« Reply #344 on: December 03, 2007 05:30:47 PM »

We're working breaking the stereotype at my school. I've just started a knit and crochet club with my friend, stefferroo, and we're getting asked about it all the time. Hopefully more people at school will be knitting soon, and everyone won't think its such and "old person" type thing to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2007 09:07:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've broken a lot of stereotypes this year.

I've spent the past year, since February, knitting EVERYWHERE I go.  Train, coffee shop, sidewalk outside coffee shop, doctors, work, school, Comic Convention (I was praying that Kevin Smith didn't see them, I was like 3 rows away from him and I was sure he would get everyone to look at me), you name it, I've brought my needles.  And if I didn't have my needles with me, or I thought it would be too rude to be knitting, I had sweaters that I was pulling apart to salvage yarn.

Once people got over the fact that I was knitting in public, it became, "What the hell are you knitting with those huge needles?!?!"  Did I mention the fact I was working on Bright Red Plastic Size 50 Needles?  I never had a satisfactory answer for them.  At least you guys can say sweater, scarf, sock and people get that.  Me?  I was working on a sculpture.

So now I'm knitting in public, on bright red size 50's, dismantled sweaters falling out of my bag and now they want to know what I mean by sculpture.  At that point I usually give up and say it's a project for school.  Simple, mostly true, and they'll usually wander off by then.  If they stick around, I would give them a 10 minute explanation of my work.  I love talking about my art, but I want to make sure they actually want to hear it first.

I'm kinda sad that the installation is over, but hopefully a gallery will pick it up and I can exhibit it publicly.  Oooooh, I can dream, can't I?  For now, I'm finally learning to knit on normal needles, but god, they are TINY!  These 6's are like toothpicks compared to my 50's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #346 on: December 18, 2007 02:39:55 PM »

I get some weird looks, mainly when I spin. I was spinning with my friend (who was knitting...I taught her *proud mama*) in the back of the "take back the night" rally and we got some MEAN looks from some of the more confused feminists. It was like we were giving birth and making our husband's lunch in the back row instead of making beautiful things with out hands. I will never understand people's 'social' disapproval of knitting and spinning.
I knit pretty much everywhere and tend to knit odd things (lingerie, dice bags, etc) and love to tell people "oh... a garter belt" when they ask what I am making
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
daegu
Iz Nynjah...Srsly

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 19, 2007 12:22:55 PM »

lol I have to admit after reading this I kinda giggled to myself. I agree it's a bad stereotype though. Most of my friends I know that knit won't knit in public just because they don't want to be ostracized. I could careless what people think, I do it at work, in meetings, in a traffic jam, at the movies, etc.

Then again, if someone says something I kinda had it coming, i'm a big black skater guy sitting there listening to heavy metal and knitting...They never saw it coming.  I like to think that deep down inside though i'm changing peoples opinions on knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not-so closet case knitter/crochet freak.
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: February 25, 2008 10:14:01 AM »

i am 18 and whenever i knit sometimes people just ask why i do it or some other things, even though i am a guy and not that really old, It doesnt restrict knitting and most other crafts to old people or other sterotype groups.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pennylane1084
« Reply #349 on: February 25, 2008 10:43:21 AM »

Yea, I get the grandma stereotype jokes from my family. I think the way society looks at knitting is beginning to change to due books like Stitch 'n Bitch. Here's an example: My 17 year old brother always made fun of me for knitting. He says i'm a dork and so and so forth. (I am however proud to be a dork! lol) I picked up the original Stitch 'n Bitch book a few weeks ago and my brother saw it in my room and picked it up saying "Stitch 'n Bitch? What the hell?" Then as he flipped through the full color pages of the patterns, the look on his face changed from suspicious to intrigued. He looked at me and said "So you can make stuff like this?!?" I nodded and he tossed the book back at me and said "Well then knit me a sweet sweater or something!" Since looking at the book he has not made fun of my knitting since. w00t! Knitters 1, annoying little brothers 0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Modern Calligraphy
How to Learn Calligraphy
How to Choose a Calligraphy Brush
How to Do Calligraphy Flourishing
How to Find Calligraphy Courses
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...