A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Stereotypical Knitter  (Read 38411 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thinkpink
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2005 11:39:42 AM »

hehe! well, yesterday I kind of got the idea of the knit stitch.  Haven't attempted purl yet.  But as I made row after row, they started getting wider, almost started looking triangleish?  maybe my bottom rows were tighter?  anyone have an idea? is this a common newbie problem.  guess I should go look for the answer in my dummies book.  I still really really want the snb book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grusinskaya
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2005 03:43:52 PM »

Your work is getting wider for one of two reasons that I can think of:
1) Like you said, you knitted your bottom rows at a tighter tension. For the past few rows, you might have been knitting more loosely.
2) Count how many stitches you have on the needle, and if you have more stitches than you did in the beginning, then at some point you accidentally increased by a few stitches. If this is the case, you can remedy it by knitting into two stitches at once (decreasing). There should be a tutorial on how to do this in your Knitting for Dummies book.

Either way, it's not that big of a deal. Lots of beginners run into these problems, so don't let it discourage you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2005 04:44:02 PM »

I know there's a whole other thread for this, but I have to write this  here for new knitters.  If I even save one... ONE new knitter from making this mistake, my life will be worth while.   Grin

If your stitches aren't SLIDING off the needles, (you have to push them off,) you are knitting too tight!!  When I first started, I almost quit knitting forever because my stitches were so tight I had to push them off the needles, and ended up getting calluses on my fingertip from the needle pushing!!  Hahahaaa maybe it was just me.   Roll Eyes

Have any other n00b knitters had this problem??  Boy am I glad the rookie days are over.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkpink
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2005 08:41:46 PM »

Wow! thank you soooo much!  Your life is definately worth while because I thought that was the 'norm' to push your stitches off!  Mine are so tight that I can barely get the needle through the hole and then back out let alone slide it off!  off to go find the thread you are talking about........which one is it?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005 08:46:48 PM by thinkpink » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2005 09:21:59 PM »

OMG! Me too. I thought uber tight stitches were good because they made stuff warmer or somesuch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
Brae_Day
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2005 11:20:23 AM »

I wish I could find the thread I saw n00b tips in, but I can't.   Cry

BUT I am sooo glad I could help you ladies out.  I'm not kidding, when I first started knitting, it took me 20 min. to knit a 20 stitch row because of how tight I was knitting.  I actually HATED doing it when I first started, but couldn't get myself to quit because of... determination? stubbornness?  Who knows.  Then I watched a friend knit, and her stitches were SO loose.  Naturally, I assumed I was a more detail oriented/ perfectionist when it came to MY tight stitches, but the truth is, loose is not bad. 

I still knit tighter than her, but that night when I went home I realized that you CAN get a snug, even, quality product with looser stitches.  I am so obsessed with this issue because of how much stress it caused me, and I don't think I've ever seen it addressed in any "beginning knitting" books!  Embarrassed

Anyway, the pic. below shows two different swatches.  The purple one is the FIRST thing I ever knitted, with my super tight stitches.  The pink one is a blanket I'm working on with my looser stitch technique.  As you can see, they are both just as quality.

What is more important than how tight or loose you knit is your gage, and your needle to yarn relationship, bla bla bla.  You can worry about that stuff later.  Just get comfortable with whipping (comfortably) through your first stitches.   Smiley

Sorry to be so thorough about this whole thing.   Grin  I'm glad I'm not alone with my beginning knitting problem.  I really thought maybe it was just me.  Let me know how it all goes!

P.S. I know it's cheezy, but hearing that I helped you guys out totally made my day. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkpink
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2005 05:50:21 PM »

Thank you!  After reading that I can 'cut loose'! I went and tried it.  Wow, now I know why people call it relaxing, because at first I was like - relaxing my axx!  You can see in my swatch where I loosened up.  Today has been wonderful knit wise because I went and purchased supplies for my first project!  I'm doing the go go scarf in the SnB book.  The first beginner project.  It calls for a size 17 needle and extra heavy yarn.  So I am loose loose loose today!  I think I'm addicted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
traceyy
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2005 07:05:47 PM »

looks like I'll have to get busy with my camera and start posting some pics !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lothluin
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2005 11:16:00 AM »

I notice from my experience in teaching people to knit, most people knit far too tight to start with.  I did it too I'm sure.  Nothing fun about knitting when you have to struggle to get the needle under tight stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grusinskaya
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2005 08:41:48 PM »

I notice from my experience in teaching people to knit, most people knit far too tight to start with.  I did it too I'm sure.  Nothing fun about knitting when you have to struggle to get the needle under tight stitches!
I've noticed that too. I've also noticed that knitters who have just learned how to purl do so very loosely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairdressing Essentials Tool Kit Bag
How to Get a Quiff
Use Dry Shampoo to Make Your Blowout Last for Days
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Boys
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Girls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...