A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Stereotypical Knitter  (Read 38665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: May 27, 2005 04:38:43 PM »

ugh. i hate people like that. it's like saying all football players are dumb, when [at least at my school] you have to be passing 5 out of 8 classes among other things. and the boys who get to play a lot are so good at school.
WHOA, way off topic for a minute.
but anyways, i've been taking my knitting to school for a while now and MOSTLY everyone thinks it's awesome. a dozen people have asked me to teach them [when i refer them to knittinghelp.com] and i'm knitting a trillion things for people.
and teachers love it! they think it's cool how it's "hip" now. who says hip anymore? HAHA.

who, why am i getting so distracted?

yeah...my gramma thinks i'm a better knitter than her. haha, because i can make a bag without a pattern.
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
mizuiro
« Reply #261 on: May 27, 2005 06:05:54 PM »

*Darth Vader voice* I am the master now...*exhale*  Cheesy

That's cool when older people give you compliments.   A few weeks ago people were fawning over my little blue felted bag.  It was kind of embarassing actually.   Embarrassed   

Some friend of a friend asked me to make her one on Star Wars premiere night, but I'm waiting to see if she pays me in wool or she was just talking off the top of her head.  It negated some of the "I don't have time to do THAT"  stuff I've heard so much over the past couple of  years.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2005 01:11:24 AM by mizuiro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
grrl82
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2005 09:20:54 PM »

I've gotten that too.  First time i told my sister see asked how old i was like she didn't know or something. I think that stereotype is really stupid because my grandma doesn't even know how to knit! So much for that. I knit in public and people just couldn't believe i was knitting. They're just mad becuase i'm cool and they're not Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and join the Inuyasha Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=78764.0

Celebrate all things Fae in the Fae Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=79942.0
dukeslax44
the sporty knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2005 08:31:36 AM »

I've had mixed reactions from other people to my knitting... I'm 19 and some think its cool... others (aka my lil sister why thinks everything I do is embarassing) think im crazy.  The other day I was at the hospital with my mom, she has metastatic breast cancer so she has a lot of appointments and tests to go to every month and I usually go with her, and I was knitting in the waiting room while she was having an mri, and these two women (a woman and her mother) came up to me and asked me what I was knitting and were really interested... they had brought their knitting too and we all sat there knitting and talking... i actually felt very normal and accepted.... i dont know anyone who knits so it was really great to have someone to knit with for a change...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything happens for a reason??? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the reason
athena404
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2005 03:42:03 PM »

my goodness
i totally agree with everyone on this post
ive been knitting ever since i was around 6 and ive seen knitting go in and out of fashion
i think right now its in bc of all the celebrities that have picked it up but in a couple years who knows

knitting is always cool in my book
  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewincbm

maybe i just like towels!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2005 04:08:28 PM »

Ii can say even though I knit, and that I'm a teenager, i even tell people that I'm a grandma. i have even told some to just call me nana anna, although i fool around i would never let anyone hate on my skills but myself! my sister knits as well and when we wear or show off our work the reactions of people are great, and some have even asked to be taught, so therefore i love knitting!

just a little rant
A
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holla
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2005 09:58:57 AM »

I've noticed the same problem with Instruction books.  The other day, I went to my craft store to find a 'how to crochet' book, and figured I'd look in the knitting section as well, since they're next to each other.  Almost every book was on baby things, afgans, and doilys.  Except for one, which was intened to teach a young (7-10) girl how to knit, with sweater/scarf/poncho patterns in that size.

Someone needs to write a 'hip' how to knit/crochet book.  I know there's Stitch N' Bitch, but what about those little cheap booklets you see in craft stores?  How to knit purses, or something, ANYTHING cooler than afgans!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
madamedefarge
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2005 07:41:54 PM »

I saw a commercial for air fresheners today...I think they were Glade, but anyway...in the commercial, they have a little old lady crocheting cozies for air fresheners, and then they show their product which is too cute to cover up with a cozy...and it basically makes fun of crocheters by stereotyping them as little old ladies with nothing better to do than make covers for their "unsightly" air fresheners.  , and that kind of infuriated me because I am EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD and knit/crochet yet am not a loser...my air freshener is right behind me, uncozied, at this very moment.  Well, hey, now I have a crafty idea...just kidding.  Not with my air freshener I don't. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2005 08:03:29 PM »

Hey, that reminds me... do you ever see "fake" knitting on TV?  Like during a show when someone's doing it in the background, (or foreground for that matter...) and it's SOOO obvious that they're SOOO not really knitting...

I always make a big deal about it, because... it just looks lame to me!  My fiance tells me to get over it and watch the show, but alas, I never can!    Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2005 08:09:35 PM »

yes!!!
hahaha
and theyre just like picking at the yarn
lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Make Easy Korean Beef Stir Fry
Learn to Make Hoisin Ribs and Chow Mein Noodles
Learn to Make Simple Dim Sum
How to Make Campfire Indian-Spiced Chicken and Sauteed Veggies
How to Cook Grilled Vegetable Chili on a Campfire
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...