A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News Announcement: Crafting your Halloween costume this year?  Enter it for a chance to win prizes!  Read the spooktacular details here.
Total Members: 308,401
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Stereotypical Knitter  (Read 46995 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2005 12:13:16 PM »

Ya know, I taught myself to knit somewhere around Christmas of '03, when it was just becoming to 'in' thing to do, but at that time I really had no idea about that.  I just wanted something new to do and an excuse to actually buy the yarn instead of just staring at it.  As for the stereotyping, I'm surprised by the fact that most of the older people in my family are rude to me, while my 10 year old (boy) cousin thinks I rock! 

Ever since I started I would knit in the car (not while driving of course!), and during family get togethers, but never out in public.  Although recently, I brought a WIP to school with me (I'm 22 years old, and in college, but I never see anyone else knitting).  Anyways, I set up shop in the art wing and was repeatedly snubbed by those 'ever-so-cool' art students saying that I was giving them a bad name by doing something 'so trendy'.  Then the next week, one of them complimented me on my scarf, and when I said that I had knitted it they were all 'that is so awesome...can you teach me?'   Right.

So yesterday was my first knitting-in-class experience.  I wouldn't normally do it in ANY of my classes, but the teacher just wanted to look at our negatives and contact sheets and then we could leave, so I knitted while waiting my turn.  I just sat there and waited for the comments to begin flowing.  And...nothing really happened.  EXCEPT...and there's always an except...this one guy (very sarcastic about everything, but pretty nice once you know him...and hot..haha) was staring at me.  When I looked up he asked if I was knitting.  duh.  I nodded and so I quote him: "That is sooooooo (I cringed) hot!!!  Can you teach me?"

**melt** Roll Eyes

Wait...what was my post supposed to be about?  Wink 

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2005 11:08:52 PM »

I have a friend who is a 14 year old skater BOY O_o  He asks me knitting questions randomly and he said he wanted to learn.  I never see him really, so no opportunity to teach, but it's still funny. 

Knitting friends are cool though, I recently got one of my friends who learned to knit from me some yarn for a gift.  Hehe. 
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2005 02:11:48 AM »

As far as knitting too tight, that shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you're using the wrong size needles for the wrong size yarn.  Also i think one quick fix until gauge and all that is figured out, is to invest in a pair or two of bamboo needles, believe me, they are wel worth the extra few dollars because they really allow the yarn to glide on and off your needles, especially if you're using acrylics which i've found to "stick" to cheeper metals and plastic needles. 
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2005 11:22:14 AM »

I just went home to visit family (and do wedding planning!) for my reading week.  I was over at my fianc's house and his 18 year old brother asked me "hey, I knitted a thing but I don't know how to end - could you show me?"  i was so suprised and impressed!  i had shown him the basics, knit and purl stitches, way back in the summer time, and now all on his own he asked his mom to pick up some needles and yarn for him at walmart and he just started up knitting.  crazy!  and, it's good!  his stitches are even and not too tight.  I showed him how tro bind off and he quickly completed his first knitted square. 

last night was cool, i was over there watching a movie with my man, and while i was knitting a sock, his brother was knitting away beside me.  that was a cool bonding experience with my soon-to-be brother-in-law!
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2005 03:19:58 AM »

I used to bead, and crochet at work (the knitting was too cumbersome) and wear my knit hats and scarves to work, and I always got the "I never have time to do that" from everyone, including my dumb as a rock former boss.  It's like people are trying to say you're somehow not earning your keep in a backhanded way, or justify their art-poor existence  Tongue  But on the other hand, they would say the work is really nice!  I don't get it.

At the job before that doing tech support, all the computer guys thought it was neat and would be sort of entranced by my hand movements as I was doing this or that; there was actually a lot of crafty things going on there, from model building to guys on the graveyard shift making chain mail items.  You could only read web pages so much before you got sort of restless Cheesy

Me and another friend that does beading have come to the conclusion that with all the times that these people say such things, they could have made something.  Many people veg in front of the TV night after night.  They could have strung a simple beaded piece or made part of a scarf in a night, and probably save a little money as well.

I bloody HATE when people do things like that, like they're too good or something.  Granted, a lot of the people I hear saying this seem sort of boring to me.  As in, they're either gossiping or talking about what happened on American Idol the night before.

On the other hand, I go to the store for supplies and people are pretty cool to me.  I've even had older people come up to me for advice on colors and things.  I haven't gone to any of the LYS yet because they're a bit out of my way.  I hope I don't get the cold shoulder like some people here have described!   

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2005 07:17:05 AM »

I've never gotten a negative reaction to knitting in public or elsewhere. My friends have said, "That's cool, I've heard knitting is the "in" hobby these days and very relaxing," and I consider both statements true.

I've taken several knitting classes and workshops at my LYS and all of them were attended by women of many different ages. The youngest girl was 16, the oldest was in her 50s, and none of us was a grandmother yet. All of the staff that I've seen in that LYS are no older than their early 40s. They sell trendy yarns and a range of books and patterns, a number of which cater to knitters in their teens and early twenties. I'm 30 and some of those patterns are a little too young for me, but plenty of patterns are great for 30-somethings and nothing close to frumpy. In fact, I want to knit my grandmother a sweater and am having a hard time finding something in her style! Such a change from 10 years ago, when I had a 20-year-old housemate who got all sorts of befuddled and borderline offensive reactions every time she knit in public, and boy were the patterns she found UG-LAY. She was constantly altering the colors and shaping and going on lengthy missions to find attractive yarns. It's so easy to find nice and fun yarns these days that we all have a hard time restraining ourselves from buying them all the time.

I have a disability that has me going to the doctor at least once a week. Whenever I knit in the waiting room, without fail someone strikes up a conversation with me. Invariably, they ask me what I'm knitting, when and where I learned and either how much they want to start and/or the fond memories they have of their grandmother knitting. Last week, a straight blue collar guy in his late 30s told me that his grandmother had taught him as a child and that he wanted to get back into it! Almost everyone wants to learn or relearn. People often ask if I'd mind if they watch me knit, as they find watching the fabric grow fascinating. Personally, I think the more often we knit in public, the more the stereotypes dissolve. People can see very clearly we aren't all grannies, and even those of us who are will probably garner the same comments I get. Never, ever have I gotten a single comment about being the first person my age the person has ever seen knitting.

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2005 06:46:32 AM »

It's like people are trying to say you're somehow not earning your keep in a backhanded way, or justify their art-poor existence Tongue But on the other hand, they would say the work is really nice! I don't get it.

Me and another friend that does beading have come to the conclusion that with all the times that these people say such things, they could have made something. Many people veg in front of the TV night after night. They could have strung a simple beaded piece or made part of a scarf in a night, and probably save a little money as well.

I agree I suspect there's something like that going on with at least some of the commenters. It's called sour grapes! They do admire it, and they admire the fact that you did it, and then they get an unpleasant sense of, uhm, cognitive dissonance at feeling themselves not able (both in the skills and motivation sense) to do the same.... and so in order to make themselves feel better, they say, "I wish *I* had the time for that" to excuse themselves.  They would if they could, in other words:  a pathetic claim, since as you pointed out, these same people are often found parked in front of the TV, motor skills limited to remote control surfing.

Even if I were to watch American Idol (which I would never), I would be yarnworking at the same time.  That's not because I'm "better" but because I am restlessly crafty.  And yet while we do not claim to be better, they likely feel that objectively speaking, we are: in our society, creating is of course valued more than unproductivity.  Unproductivity produces guilt, which they must assuage in order to get on.   And as for the poor people who are just not that creative, well, I feel sorry for them, but I wish they didn't feel the need to "call my grapes sour."

Not that *everyone* who says this really is experiencing sour grapes and has "leisure" time.  But definitely some.  I consider myself not just lucky, though, for having the time to keep creativity in my life: I chose to quit a 6-fig job to engage in substantially less learning, in exchange for creativity (and intellectual pursuit) back in my life.  I of course must consider myself lucky enough to have that option (no family to support as yet), but I also must credit my choosing so.  Creating is just that important to me: more than a "leisure art."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005 06:54:05 AM by Piyolet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2005 12:02:06 AM »

I generally knit when watching a movie or riding in the car.  I didn't have to make time for knitting in my every day life.  Just combine it with other things.

I hope life isn't one big joke cuz I don't get it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2005 07:56:48 PM »

whenever someone says "what are you making?" i always reply "a baby". I always get funny looks.
« Reply #259 on: May 27, 2005 04:11:27 PM »

Let me beam in pride for a moment: Back in March my boyfriend asked me to teach him to knit.  He's not previously done anything like this, but I must say, I've the many people I've showed the basics of knitting to, he picked it up the fastest.  *sniff*  I'm so proud of my boy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...