A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,207
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Stereotypical Knitter  (Read 38799 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2005 05:59:26 PM »

I agree knitting has been dubbed "the thing" but much like other "things" those who have truly been bitten by the knitting bug won't put thier needles down.  But I don't look down on those giving the craft a try, at least they are trying......whatever the reason!

And Helena here, here.  I popped into Hot Topic and thought man oh man you guys have it easy!  What I went through to get a Ramones tee in high school was insane!  Plus ordering docs meant ordering or driving to LA...........but my greatest anger is directed at the now $40 a pair cost of Converse!  Yowza!     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebug
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2005 06:11:24 PM »

My son wanted to learn, so I got him started making a garter-stitch scarf.  Maybe someday he'll be posting on this board -- will there be any other young knitting men, I wonder?  Teach your sons and little brothers!

This reminds me of the time I asked my mom to teach me to crochet (at about age 12) and my two younger brothers insisted that she teach them too.  So, off she went to buy a package of hooks and three $.99 skeins of yarn.

Maybe I should teach them to knit as well....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin

http://lemonsicle.blogspot.com/
ilovepaper
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2005 02:47:53 AM »

My husband can knit, well very basic casting on and knit a few uneven rows. He spent a lot of time being the yarn baller for his mother and 2 grandmothers as a child and ended up learning more than he intended to. I found this out while I was struggling to learn to knit a few months ago. Just as I was ready to throw the needles across the room, he took them and said here is how you do it..... I had no idea he could do this, at first I was so happy and then I was mad because he held out on me all these years! He has no desire to knit but is very happy to be the resident yarn baller/detangler. Maybe he is waiting for knitting to become less trendy. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brae_Day
« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2005 08:02:22 AM »

Haha!  That's awesome, what a cool story.  It sort of reminds me of Groundhog's day where Bill Murray learns all these crazy pasttimes, (ice sculpture, piano,) to impress a lady because his day keeps repeating. 

Hmm... okay maybe loosely reminds me of it.

Anyway, good for your hubby to finally come out of the closet.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2005 09:37:54 AM »

On the male knitting theme:  Around Seattle, many older fisherman knit just beautifully, having learned when it was a neccesity and stilling doing it after all these years.  Yesterday, I met the 30-something grandson (in the local yarn shop) of one of these fisherman.  Grandson learned from grandpa.  Guess they're just not quite the kind who post on boards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
rentpenguin
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2005 09:50:45 AM »

i learned from my grandmother
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2005 12:25:52 PM »

annalou, I think that's a great observation on the male knitters not necessarily being the type to post on boards. 

i wonder, are they are any Asian (in this case, I mean chopstick-wielding cultures; not including Russia nor India) male knitters skulking about Crafster?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2005 02:38:02 PM »

We've had a few male knitters and they do post but I guess more selectivly than us gabby girls!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2005 03:50:55 PM »

Any time boys post on here, they get sorta pounced on because the girls are so excited to see a boy who crafts.  I suppose whether or not getting pounced on is a GOOD thing depends on the boy's point of view  Cool

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2005 03:10:25 PM »

melinda - that in itself might be a good incentive for some boys, er, um men to learn to knit.  Or at least fake an interest!   

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baseball Hall of Fame Sculptor Mindy Ellis
Watch SamSam Bubbleman Create His Unique Bubble Sculptures
Sam & Tury
Rainbow City: Sam & Tury
How to Make a Butter Sculpture
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...