A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 316,621
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Stereotypical Knitter  (Read 46635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2004 08:04:11 PM »

This isn't really a "Future Project" but it's something to think about.  I myself have only recently been thrown into the world of the knitter due to the influence of a very good friend.  And it occured to me that many people think knitting is just for old grandmothers.  I was in an art class a week or two ago and I brought up that I thought it would be cool if we knitted in the class.  A girl replied to my idea with negative comments and how she would drop the class if we started to knit.  I think it's important that we all change the stereotype that comes with knitters 'cause i'll bet most of the people posting on this website are teenagers.  I say we all spread the world with the new stereotype of knitters...young, crafty, creative, sometimes even punk, women.  Spread the word!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004 01:02:50 AM »

i know where you're coming from, this has happended to me more than one. many times i wear a scarf i have knitted and people don't beleive that i knitted it. many people who come over and see my needles out are shocked. i have also been known to knit at work in my break and people from the office are always shocked to see me knitting.

although i love all  crafts, knitting is a form of stress relief for me, and the good thing about it is when i'm watching tv i can knit too because it doesn't need too much concentration.

the most effective way i have used to show people that crafts in general and knitting are not for gandmas only is when i wear something that i made or use a bag that i made, or when they come to my plce and find that i have use different decorating techniques, i tell them proudly that it's my handiwork, many of my frinds have started crafting because of this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittykat
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004 01:25:30 PM »

Arrrrggghhh!  The granny stereotype is one of my pet peeves!  Even one of my very best friends is closed minded enough to think that I am really unusual as in I'm knitting premenopause.  (I'm 25, knitting since 22)

Yesterday I was buying yarn AT A CRAFT SHOP and one of the ladies called across the shop "Whatcha knittin, GRANDMA?"  I know she meant it as a joke.  But it still pissed me off.  I think that we all have to work at changing the stereotype, and people in craft shops should not exactly be shocked to see young people knitting!

I used to knit in college and I remember sitting in the student union to knit.  99% of people loved it, wanted to know what I was making, wanted me to teach them.  The other guy looked at me in my leopard-print outfit and told me "You're 70 years too young to do that!"  It's hard enough when it comes from jerks but it's harder when it comes from people you like, ie: classmates or friends.

At this point in time knitting has been popular for several years and with all the flap about this celebrity, that celebrity, whomever knitting, even if people choose not to knit they should be aware enough to realize that it's not only old ladies doing it! Tongue

Okay, put the soapbox away Kat.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004 02:48:55 PM »

Interesting -- I've never encountered this stereotype for some reason (and I'm not even grandma-age)!  I've been knitting in public since I was a teenager and have never had anything but positive comments.  Maybe southern Californians are more open-minded? (another stereotype ;-) I knit while I teach my piano students and they're all very interested in my current project.  I knit while I wait during my son's karate classes and the little brothers and sisters crowd around me to watch. My son wanted to learn, so I got him started making a garter-stitch scarf.  Maybe someday he'll be posting on this board -- will there be any other young knitting men, I wonder?  Teach your sons and little brothers!

Our LYS offers classes for kids, even.  One of the women there said some teenage boys stopped in recently for knitting help :)

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004 03:15:32 PM »

everyone is stunned when they see me knit. I was knitting while waiting for a patient, when she came in and saw me she said...how old ARE you anyway?  Roll Eyes

I just have to laugh, because I am fabulous and they aren't! kidding.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004 03:31:42 PM »

I too have had mixed responses to my new hobby obsession . . . my coworkers think it's "quaint" if not hilarious.  One of my coworkers saw my knitted cell phone cozy and thought it was cool . . . then hinted heavily that she wanted one too.  Right.

On the other hand, I told a close friend that I'd started knitting, and she told me she had gone out a while ago and bought needles and yarn, but never did get started, and could we please knit next time she comes over.  Kewl!

And lastly, I have gotten a couple of double-takes when visiting my 2 LYSes . . . at one of them the owner was almost rude to me (not sure if it's my age or just that she's that kind of person), and at the other one the staff was great but the other customers looked at me like I must be lost looking for Starbucks or something.  

Actually, I looked into the local hand-knitting guild here, but have shied away so far because I'm a bit afraid I'd be less than welcome there.  This happened to me at the quilting guild -- someone turned to me and asked me if I was there with my mommy (I was 31 at the time!).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
grrr betsy
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004 03:37:28 PM »

i just started knitting, but actually i have quite a few friends who do it also.
my two best friends jokingly call me grandma, which i don't mind at all. i think it's kind of fun actually.
other than that i have not much experience with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
ziza
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004 05:40:10 PM »

I don't think I've really ever gotten anything for knitting (I'm 18). That said, people are more likely to help my mom than me.

But I think it's cute when the Greek guy talks about people doing it in the old country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004 06:14:24 PM »

I knit on the bus, on campus, waiting for classes...  I get many odd looks, a few question about what I'm making, and a few comments of "cool".  though, I've also seen a few other girls knitting around campus, too.  actually, here in my dorm there are quite a few of us.  I'm thinking of doing a "learn to knit" night next year for my residence program, using cheap yarn and dowel needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jules
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004 07:40:27 PM »

I work in a restaurant, and took up knitting this past fall.  I taught a bunch of my co-workers to knit, and it has spread like wildfire!  In the lulls at work, and after a shift we all sit around and knit.  It's really terrific, and much better than what we used to do (i.e. smoke, eat too much, and read the same newspaper 20 times) BTW, our ages range from early 20's to late 30's--no grandma's here.  

For everyone who comes in and sees us (customers, regulars, salespeople) knitting all has some positive memory for them.  They remember helping their grandmother wind balls of yarn, or watching their mother knit baby blankets, etc...  Everyone has been overwhelmingly positive, I'm very happy to report!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...