A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roasted Tomato, cucumber and avocado sandwich  (Read 1131 times)
Tags for this thread: sandwich , tomato , avocado , cucumber  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2010 05:47:32 PM »

Ah, I am posting on a new board.  Hi, all.  First, a picture that looks good enough to eat (it's not a sandwich because I don't have any actual pictures of the sandwich):

Now the story.

So, I have this monster tomato plant in my back yard.  It's growing everywhere.  Here's a picture of it tentacle raping my green pepper plant, the only survivor of three.

As you can see by the grass, I am probably the laziest and most organic gardener that ever lived.  All I do is water and pick veggies.  I tend to think that the grass keeps the plants from drying out.  So naturally, because I am a lazy gardener, I tend to have some of the ugliest tomatoes ever picked.  Now they taste lovely, but I can't serve them.  So every week I have to do something with them, and today, I decided to roast some tomatoes.

There they are all chopped up and ready to go, and they become the lovely deliciousness that you see in the first picture.  I put them in the oven at 400, with some olive oil, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, dried onions and chives and pepper.  Then I went out to eat with Mr. ghilie and forgot to turn off the oven - I had to drive back from the restaurant and turn it off. 

Now I also have a cucumber plant, and I don't eat a lot of cukes.  I've been sharing them with my boss; she loves them.  But recently my plant stopped producing and this is the last of my cucumbers.

It's sooo ugly.  Seriously, what is wrong with this thing?  Really, does anyone know?  I was afraid it would taste bad so I didn't give it away, and it's been sitting on my counter for awhile.  Finally I chopped it up today.  It didn't taste bad, so that's a plus, but I really need to use it up. 

So, my recipe!  I discovered this when all i had in the fridge was roasted tomatoes and cukes from the garden.  A sandwich made from the two is fantastic.  You can add mayo or butter or, if you're vegan, mushed up avocado.  Cheese is great too, I use extra sharp cheddar.  Yum!  The roasting really brings out the sweetness of the tomato, and the cucumber adds this extra crunch that is really great. 

So, that's it, my discovery!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010 05:50:28 PM by ghilie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Gspinn

Crafting a girl's best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010 06:08:13 PM »

This sounds so amazingly yummy! I love cucumbers and tomatoes. There is nothing better (IMO) than fresh veggies from the garden. I don't have one because my neighbors think it is ok to take down my fence and ride bikes through the yard, but I digress. I love tomato sandwiches with just fresh tomatoes and a slice of cheese, but this is something I think I'm definitely going to have to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dcoyote
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010 08:38:08 PM »

Your tomatoes look delicious. Frankly, I'm a lazy gardener too. Mine really needs weeded and I have to pull out all my broccoli and brussel sprouts. Freaking caterpillars have swarmed them to death. Anyway, it looks like you waited too long to pick that cuke. That might be why it looks like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010 04:04:16 AM »

I have found that when the vine is dying out (which cucumbers do around this time for us) that the last cucumbers look awful funny.... I don't think it is anything you did. No worries!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
MsMoran
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010 06:05:11 AM »

That sounds fantastic. I eat a lot roasted tomatoes and cucumber but have never thought of putting them together. That's my lunch sorted, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
See Makeup Pro Kandee Johnson Transform Into Taylor Swift
Pick Up This Purse Essential on Your Next Grocery Trip
The Best Beauty Products for Summer Chosen by Essence
High School-Appropriate Makeup Tutorial
The Look: A Fresh Faced Modern Bride
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...