A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy recipes for a weekend camping trip?  (Read 1314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Squara
« on: May 16, 2005 11:54:04 AM »

Hubby and I are camping this weekend and I'm trying to find some ideas for some new meals to try beyond burgers and dogs. I thought a nice stew might be good, but I figured I'd check with you knowledgeable folks too. Any suggestions?

If it matters, we will have a fire (duh), a charcoal grill and probably a camp stove (if I can borrow it from a friend). And we don't have any dietary restrictions. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kba
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005 12:29:40 PM »

My all time fav camping meal....Pocket Stew...no fuss muss or clean up.  You can do this with a thick hamburger patty or a boneless chicken breast....take a good sized piece of tin foil, cut and peel disiered amount of carrots and potatoes and place on a chunck of butter with some onions in the middle of the tin foil, add the patty or breast and season with what ever spices you like.  Now take the tin foil and bring it together and roll it down snuggly, and fold the edges in kinda like the way they wrap your hamburger at Harvey's ...once that is done do it again with another piece of tin foil.  Make these individual servings so do as many for the amount of people.
This can be done on a bbq or best of all right in the coals of the campfire.  Let your fire burn down to some really hot coals and just set the package on the embers....turning several times till a knife stuck in the potatoes feels cooked....about 25 mins to 30 mins.  I tell you this is one of the best meals I've ever had, and when you done just crumble the foil and toss,  wash the ustensils and enjoy some mashmallows......

Happy May 24 to all the Canucks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005 06:49:57 AM »

I just got back from camping out at the beach with my fianc this weekend (we were at a sailing competition in Ft. Worth), and we had a propane stove and a cooler. Friday night (before a HUGE storm came through the area- sleeping in a tent while a lightning/ thunderstorm came over was a definite experience....) we went to Albertsons, and bought some cheddar cheese slices, sliced ham, eggs, pre-cut potatoes, onions, english muffins, cherries, dried fruit, honey roasted peanuts and sun flower seeds.

For breakfast, I diced the onions, sauted them with potatoes, diced and cooked the ham, added cheese to the potato mixture, made an omlette with ham, toasted the english muffins and enjoyed a nice hearty breakfast. I pretty much did the same thing Sunday morning.

I don't know if you'll be near running water, because this is a bit messier/plate and utensil intensive than the previous suggestion.

If you have a cast iron dutch oven, you can make a lot of things like stew/soup since cast iron items are so versatile when it comes to heating methods.

I think my biggest concern when it comes to camping is how to keep perishable items fresh enough to be fit for consumption. We used a lot of ice and a frozen gallon jug, and that barely made it through to Sunday afternoon. Then again the weather had been pretty nice and that helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poppet
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005 07:01:23 AM »

There's a fabulous article in the latest issue of Bust magazine on camping, including wonderful recipes and other tips and tricks. I'm not even much of a camper but I'm hanging onto this article for next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

http://poppetprojects.blogspot.com
Squara
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005 10:34:00 AM »

Is that the issue with Amy Sedaris on the cover or is there a more recent issue?

Thanks all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppet
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005 10:46:30 AM »

Newer one with Sandra Oh on the cover.

Also, we love tortilla roll-ups at our house and eat them room-temp. Just spread beans and sprinkle cheese and salsa on tortillas.

When I was a kid, we cooked Hobos -- hamburger patties, onion, corn, etc. wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked over the fire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

Squara
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005 10:50:30 AM »

Excellent! I will keep an eye out for the new Bust.

I figured some sort of foil dinner was a must. I just need to figure out what kind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppet
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005 11:01:39 AM »

you're welcome to borrow my copy, deary, as long as I get it back.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pickledkitty
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005 11:20:40 AM »

My favorite camp meal would be navajo tacos. Good for dinner and dessert. You take dough (like rolds) or a dough recipe, grab a handful, pinch it out till flat and mostly round, then fry it till golden brown. Then you can put honey and butter or whatever sweet on it, or you can do for dinner, and put warmed refried beans, cooked ground beef, salad, cheese, tomatoes, salsa, sourcream, jalapenoes, ranch, salt/pepper, green onions, normal onions, whatever you want. Yummy.

Normally we have at least 6 and up to 12 or so people, and that is dinner and dessert. But it is definently the best;p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriBanana
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005 12:33:47 PM »

And for dessert, you can't go without Cake in a Bag. Just mix your cake batter (mix or from scratch) with all ingredients in a Ziploc bag big enough to accomedate raw cake. Then steam like you would aspargus or broccolli. Or if you want smaller portions or to ice them, fill tuna cans with batter halfway and let cook on grill of open fire.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Welch's God, Thank you for your jelly-like  intervention, with this twat.
THANK YOU  WELCH'S GOD OF THUNDER AND JELLY AND JAM!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Thick Hair
How to Curl Your Hair with a Curling Iron
How to Cut a One Line Length
How to Cut Graduation
How Not to Damage Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...