A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painted Lego Star Wars Duvet  (Read 13253 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , star_wars , lego , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xperimentl
« on: August 10, 2010 12:49:05 PM »

My son is turning 7 this month and is a total nut for Lego and particularly Lego Star Wars sets.  Being a second grader now I thought he might not be so keen on having a Bob the Builder quilt on his bed anymore so I decided to make something custom. 

First, I scoured the Internet for illustrations of minifigures and Lego Star Wars characters.  I came across the illustrations of countblockula on Flickr and decided to go for that style. He didn't have all of the characters, so I had to wing it with Obi Wan and Yoda (you can tell by looking at them).  I blew up the pictures to be about 14" square, printed them out and traced onto Kona Cotton using a lightbox and a fabric pencil.  I then handpainted all of the characters using soft fabric acrylics.  Once all of the panels were done I pieced them together with some fabric that I found at Joann's, black with small gray dots like stars.  Instead of going the quilting route I made it into a duvet so I could replace the comforter inside depending on the season, etc.  It is backed with a charcoal gray sheet.  Another plus of it being a duvet, it will take up less room in the linen closet, he's going to be stuck with this sucker until he has his own children!

Here are some closer shots (please excuse the wrinkles)...

A couple geek notes:  I know Clones and Luke weren't alive at the same time, but I wanted to cover all of my son's likes, this also explains why Leia is missing but we have an obscure guy like IG-88 on there.  Also, after watching Empire Strikes Back last week I realize I was off on Yoda's color.  It may not be up to the standards of the purists, but it works for us!

Thanks for looking.  C&C much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
ghanne
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010 01:03:55 PM »

If your son doesn't like it I would totally take this Cheesy  You did an amazing job on this!  I'm hitting this rocks because it truly does rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010 01:10:43 PM »

love this! you did an awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010 01:14:59 PM »

must not ever let hubby see this.... ever!

great job... i can't even imagine the patience to paint and trace all that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
gizzybird
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010 01:30:07 PM »

lol, I was just thinking the same thing. If mine sees it, he's going to want one!

It looks awesome and I bet your son is in heaven!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoaneFaery
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010 01:41:17 PM »

I want this so much! I love Lego Star Wars. I collect the sets from the original trilogy and the video game is fun too.  I shouldn't have let myself see it since now I want to make it for me. But I have too many projects already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
http://www.wists.com/RoaneFaery
Pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/roanefaery/
My Swaps:
Last completed swap: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
girly_fish
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010 05:56:18 PM »

This is seriously the coolest thing in the world!  Your son is a lucky little guy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyMama
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010 06:07:37 PM »

lol, I was just thinking the same thing. If mine sees it, he's going to want one!

It looks awesome and I bet your son is in heaven!

Double LOL !!!  I just said the same thing . . . as I showed it to my DH . . .  Cheesy

Great job!!!

~Martha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
MelliBean
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010 07:40:09 AM »

Wow this is seriously awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xperimentl
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010 09:12:50 AM »

Thanks for all of the nice comments.  Grin  I don't usually tackle long "labor of love" projects like this, but it was gratifying to see it completed and be so appreciated by my little guy.  Unfortunately it doesn't fit on the top bunk so well, so I'll be doing some room rearranging to make it work today.  Definitely learned some things in the process!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following and Reading Directions
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Diagrams
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Starting Projects
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...