A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Sun dress for a big, big girl.  (Read 5916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Parilla
« on: May 16, 2005 11:10:01 AM »

If people were fonts, I'd be Helvatica Bold.  I'm a great big girl.  I have big hips, a big bottom, and giant breasts.  I'm not saying that I'm ugly - I've got a nice waist and shapely legs - but everything about me is definitly built on a wider sort of scale.  I'm sort of a horizontally stretched hourglass.

This is all fine and dandy, until I go shopping.  I can find plenty of attractive long skirts, and pretty blouses, but finding a pretty sun dress is pure heck.  I've been looking for three years now, and apparantly, if you're above a size 18, you're supposed to dress like a kindergarden teacher.  I don't want to dress like a kindergarden teacher.  I want to dress like a spicy hot mamma who wears flowers in her hair, and I darn well deserve a dress that'll let me do that.  

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern like this for a size 20/22?  Preferably one that doesn't make me look like a bloated tart (I'm aiming for a sexy, but fully clothed look)  or a librarian? I'm not the best seamstress, but I can follow directions and I'm patient...especiall y if there's a chance of looking really good at the end of it.

And does anyone else have this kind of problem?  I know I'm big and fat, but that doesn't mean I should look like I'm trying to hide!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005 11:16:04 AM by Parilla » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolores
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005 11:50:55 AM »

Oh Honey, welcome to my world!
I'm a US size 16, with a few extra lumps, bumps & bulges, and if I look hard enough (and my patience doesn't wear me out) I can find the odd shirt or pants that look ok-ish....but dresses? no way!
And I don't want to look like an old frump either, i want to look like a goddess.....anyway, I'm hoping to overcome this lack-of-dresses with my new (and quite fabulous) pattern software, which doesn't help you at all, I know, but could you post a pic of yourself( so i can see your overall look) and I'm sure between us & everyone else on this board we can come up with some killer frocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alicein518
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005 12:10:31 PM »

I did a little research and it looks like your best bet is to check out patterns by Butterick, Simplicity and McCall's.  I checked their sites and they have the best options overall.  Variety of size, shaping, and style.  Here's the links.

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi
http://www.simplicity.com/
http://www.mccallpattern.com/dresses/page-1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Parilla
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005 12:11:37 PM »

I have managed to find a few dresses that don't look like I should be huddling behind library stacks, but they're completely inappropriate for anything other than street walking!  How come there isn't a midddle ground between granny dresses and chartruese mini skirts? More to the point, what large woman would want to wrap her thighs in something that screams "Look! Look! Puffy!"?

Le sigh..

Thankyou for your words of encouragement!  I'll take and post a few photos of myself when I get home.  Yay, digital camera!

And yay, thankyou Alice!  I'll check those out right now.  I really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strawberrytart

"Dress up, leave a false name, be legendary."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005 12:19:24 PM »

Don't lose hope...things are a-changin', slowly but surely.  For instance, have you seen the (readymade) clothes at Torrid?  They started out all punk and goth, but they have definitely expanded into more mainstream plus size fashion trends.  I have a light blue sundress from there that I love.  Looking through their website might give you a few ideas...

I also think Simplicity has a selection of "junior" plus patterns now, too.  They might be smaller through the bust than "standard" plus size patterns, but look a lot less like schoolteacher clothes.

One of the tricks I like to use is to look at a standard pattern and think of how I can change it.  Maybe a standard dress pattern could make a great sundress with a couple of alterations -- like leaving off the sleeves, or shortening the skirt.  Also, the right fabric makes a lot of difference.  Look at formalwear patterns, too.  Who says that they have to be floor length and made of satin?  Use a nice stretch cotton twill, leave out the boning, and voila: sundress.  Simplicity 5275 looks promising.  Imagine view C without sleeves in a nice retro print.  Sweet. Wink

Hope that helps!  (A lot of us have been through the same sort of thing...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because you're the smartest lunatic in the asylum
doesn't mean you should be handing out the meds."
http://www.codenamesarah.com/
Jannaan

There is only one true God- Allah!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005 08:14:11 AM »

I saw an old post about plus size dress.
 First i'd like to say that there is no true god besides the creator. He is the one and only.
And secondly, I know it is hard to find pretty dresses but how about a making one to your own liking. Like a dress that has a full skirt and bodice attached. I heard that they flatter the body for big girls better than other shapes.
Or what about a strapless dress with a shrug.
I don't know just my thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh changer of Hearts, Keep me firm in this religion of Islam. Oh changer of Hearts, Keep me firm on the guidance of muhammad. Oh Allah, keep me protected from the criminals and the unjust ones.
lilylee
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005 08:22:38 AM »

I thought of this pattern right away when I read your post....
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4826.htm?tab=dresses&page=1
Nice full skirt, waist shaping etc.

I am sure it could be easily adjusted to what ever size you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005 08:51:52 AM »

This is my world too - I am a size 22. I am making my own because i can't find anything either.
I want to make these http://www.modemerr.com/index.html - All of them!
A simple skirt with a bit of added flare at the bottom and a top to keep my boobs in place - what more can a girl ask for.
Let me know what you are looking for and maybe I can help you design a pattern for it - I am not an expert but I will share what I know.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005 09:06:51 AM by Inna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005 09:15:52 AM »

I really like http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=1&type=1&sec=8&id=16&startrow=1   dress 5110.  You could even take the whispy arm things and turn it into a strappy dress if you wish.. and the flowyness would be slimming. 

I'm a librarian, and I must say.. everyone I work with is pretty well dressed!  No buns, glasses, or anything! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
sweetiemonster

I like naps, and yellow yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005 09:37:05 AM »

Yay for people who are comfy with their bodies!  And for librarians.   Grin  I don't know of any good patterns, because I never sew with them.  Have you ever made your own?  For example, if you have a cute top you like, make one based on it and then add a simple circle skirt or something like that.  Although not plus-sized, I have a tough time finding patterns that fit me right, and once you learn to work without them it's a lot freer.

Best of luck!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you fit into me

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

--margaret atwood
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Baby Shower Hanging Flower Decoration
How to Make a Baby Shower Bottle Themed Place Card
How to Make a Baby Shower Candy Tin
How to Make a Baby Shower Flower Seed Packet
How to Make a Baby Shower Animal Picture Frame
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...