A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
336 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Sun dress for a big, big girl.  (Read 6524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005 09:50:27 AM »

This is my world too - I am a size 22. I am making my own because i can't find anything either.
I want to make these http://www.modemerr.com/index.html - All of them!
A simple skirt with a bit of added flare at the bottom and a top to keep my boobs in place - what more can a girl ask for.
Let me know what you are looking for and maybe I can help you design a pattern for it - I am not an expert but I will share what I know.

Aren't those clothes the cutest?  Angela (the owner/designer) is a friend of mine and super sweet.  I know it's not the same as making your own but she'll totally make clothes with custom sizing.  Wait til you see the new ones. 

As for patterns some of the Khalia Ali (sp?) I saw in either Butterick or Simplicity weren't bad.  I'm sure with some minor modification and cool fabric you can totally make something fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Parilla
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005 10:32:22 AM »

I think I'll try this pattern:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4826.htm?tab=dresses&page=1

It's got that lovely cross-over look that's so flattering to a large chest, and it'd be a chance to show off my poor neglected waist.  I figure I should be able to size it up by looking at the difference in proportions between a Medium and a Large, and extrapolating how to change things from that - or is that a bad, bad idea? I'm going to need to alter the pattern for modesty's sake - some women should never leave home without wearing a bra.  Maybe I could put a panel across the back...would that need some tailoring?  I know I'll have to put a little piece across the front, behind the place where it crosses over the chest, but I don't think that'd require anything special, really. 

Now I just need to find the right fabric...and some practice fabric, since I don't think I want to leap right into the finished version right away!  Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?  I was going to use a sturdy sort of cotton.  Does cotton shrink much...?

Help! I've only ever made doll clothes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005 10:51:11 AM »

That's a lovely choice.  I don't know exactly how much cotton shrinks but you should be fine if you wash it first.  That way you won't have any nasty surprises.  The only thing that I can think of to watch out for is to make sure the halter parts are wide enough to cover what you want covered.  I usually cheat and resize by comparing my measurments to the pattern's measurments; figure out how much is added for each size; and then use a washable pencil to draw out the extra allowance. There's a more complicated way which I guess is the right way where you actually cut the pattern in the middle and add tissue paper to size.  Like I said, I cheat.  I think the short cut might only work if you're adding a few inches or so.  Making a test pattern would be a really good idea.  If you plan on making the real dress in cotton, muslin would be a good pattern fabric.  It's light so you can easily see markings and it's cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nellum
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005 12:06:28 PM »

Definitely pre-wash your cotton!  A nice twill would be nice... it's sturdy, but not clingy, and really easy to sew (it doesn't slip about on itself).  I don't know what colours flatter you best, but red is sexy on everyone!  Good luck (and post pics when you're done)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Parilla
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005 11:48:15 AM »

It'll be at least a week before I have money to go get the fabric and pattern...so I guess I have to wait until then to start.  Sigh.

I think I'll get a nice peach-pink cotton twil.  My complexion is pink and peachy, and my hair is red, so that'll look really good on me - plus, I'll be able to wear my brown sandals with it.  Should I avoid patterned fabrics, since this is my first dressmaking experience?  I know that you have to match up stripes and plaids, but do you have to do the same for florals?  And what sort of price per yard should I be looking at...?

I feel so tense about this, but so excited!  The idea of having a pretty dress is really just great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005 12:08:24 PM »

I wouldn't worry about matching florals unless they're in an obvious straight line.  I don't think you have to stay away from patterns, I would just choose one that is on the smaller scale (think rosebuds instead of bouquets) and not super busy.  Cotton prices vary.  Usually quilting stores sell them between $7-10 a yard and Joann's varies (look for coupons).  I would say make a test pattern first on cotton muslin which I think is $5 or less a yard and then you won't ruin your more expensive fabric if you make a mistake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005 03:01:18 PM »

I thought of this pattern right away when I read your post....
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4826.htm?tab=dresses&page=1
Nice full skirt, waist shaping etc.

I am sure it could be easily adjusted to what ever size you need.
OH MY LORD!  I NEED THAT DRESS! (I am not large around the waist, but around the breasts... this looks like a good dress to show off what God gave me!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
moody1210
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005 09:07:46 AM »

have u tried maternity dresses?Huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Misa
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005 09:15:04 AM »

I just want to say that this is the kind of thing that makes me FURIOUS. I'm a big girl, too. It frustrates me to no end that it is so hard to find decent clothing. There's simply no excuse for it. Why shouldn't we be able to wear nice clothes too?

I hope you're able to find what you're looking for. If you do, be sure to show us the finished dress!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Misa
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005 09:58:33 AM »

Another big girl here.  Size 20.  I carry most of my weight in my belly, so fitted dresses really don't work for me.  My most flattering dresses are the ones with princess seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Mini Bridge Feature in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Crop Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Content Aware Fill Tool on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Brush Panel on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Text Layout Framework in Adobe Flash Professional CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...