A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purse of Love for going out with when you feel lovely! (ooodles of pics)  (Read 5336 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_53_entries , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 09, 2010 11:22:08 AM »

So - I'm going out this weekend coming, and wanted a new bag to take with me - I found this ace tute, which I'm going to start work on shortly - http://www.made-by-rae.com/2009/02/free-buttercup-bag-sewing-pattern.html - I was really impressed because it only uses a Fat Quarter of fabric, I'm always falling in love with random FQ's on ebay, and then not having a clue what to do with them, so I finally got round to cutting this out last night.  I had only a very small bit of fabric left over, but my creative cogs started turning, and I figured I could make a matching purse to go with the bag - and thus started the following project and tute ..

(nb: I know you Americans say Purse meaning bag - for us Brits a purse is something you keep your money in, although technically this is more the style of a wallet (men's purse) but I call it a purse, because that's what it feels like it is!!)

The purse of love ...

You will need.....

Fabric & Thread
Contrasting Fabric for inside - or actually could be the same if you prefer
Iron on Interfacing
Fasteners of your choice
Decorative button (optional)

Step One

Cut out a bunch of rectangles...

A) 1 x 10.5" by 4.5" in each of main fabric, contrasting fabric and Interfacing
B) 1 x 9.5" by 3" in each of main fabric and Interfacing
C) 1 x 5" by 2.5" in each of contrasting fabric and Interfacing
D) 1 x 2.5" by 5.5" in each of main fabric and Interfacing (I had to modify mine to be a weird triangle shape, because I just didn't have enough fabric to make a rectangle)
E) 1 x 6" by 4" in contrasting fabric for closing thingy

Step Two

Iron on the interfacing and give the rest of the fabric an iron whilst you're at it
on the biggest rectangle, iron to contrasting fabric ONLY  (closing thingy and main purse outer do not require interfacing)

Step Three

Start with Rectangle B - fold down a Hem all the way round and sew two rows of stitching along one of the long sides and one row of stitching along the other 3 sides.  Then do the same for Rectangle C

Step Four

Sew Rectangle C on top of Rectangle B in the bottom right hand corner - using 1 row of stitching along one long side and two short sides, leaving a pocket opening at the top - you should now have two rows of stitching on each side

Step Five

Sew Rectangle B onto the contrasting fabric with interfacing of Rectangle A - again sew along the 2 short sides and one long side so you have a pocket opening at the top - sew it towards the bottom of the rectangle.  You might find it easier to pin it on first, I didn't and wished I had as mine is a little bit wonky.

Step Six

Hem all around Rectangle D (or Triangle D in my case - would have been SO much easier if I had enough for a rectangle)

Step Seven

Then sew Rectangle D just about the left hand side pocket flap thingy on Rectangle A - this is going to be the flap to hold your coins in, so make sure you sew it high enough that it doesn't catch the opening shut, but low enough so your coins can't fall out

Step Eight

Sew along the middle of Rectangle B - so you divide the section for the coins from the section for the notes.

(I had a cup of tea at this point - but that step is optional)

Step Nine

Take Rectangle E - and fold both long sides in so they meet in the middle, and then fold in half again, sandwiching the edges right in the middle, then sew all the way around all four sides.  (Again - would be a lot easier if you pinned this first)

Step Ten

Pin Rectangle A on top of Rectangle B - right sides together, and slip your closing thingy (Rectangle E) into the middle of the shorter side where the cards/notes section is, following the direction of the pointy finger, then sew around the 2 long sides and the 1 short side that has the closing thingy inserted into it

Step Eleven

Trim of excess fabric and cut corners on the diagonal - and then carefully flip the whole thing inside out, use a pencil to poke the corners out

Step Twelve

Tuck the raw edges inside and overstitch your final side together

Step Thirteen

Sew on fasteners of your choice (I used press studs) for the closing strap thingy, and also for the coin section inside

Step Fourteen

Add a decorative button  (I chose to do this, because the bag I'm making has 2 buttons on it, and these buttons came in packs of 3, so it seemed like the perfect finishing touch, but it still looks very nice without)

And there you have it!!!  When you open it up, you should have a section for Cards, and section for notes/concert tickets/condoms and a little coin part.  I filled mine up, and jangled it about a bit and the coins did not come flying out, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

THANK YOU for bearing through this - I hope I haven't been too waffly.  I'm very proud of this, as it's my first purse and my first tute - just need to get the bag finished now to go with it, but I think it's time for another cup of tea first.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
wewilltaketothesea
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010 11:31:08 AM »

This is so cute-- what a great tutorial! You're so funny and I love all your British slang! You should totally start a craft blog because I would read it all the time!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010 01:24:30 PM »

such a cute wallet! Love that fabric, wow, awesome! Hope to see the bag next...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010 06:05:49 PM »

This is so cute!  I love the fabric and the tutorial is very clear.  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010 02:48:58 AM »

THANKS guys!!!!  Have to say, when I read back through the tute once it was posted, I was pretty impressed that I could come up with something that looked almost professional!!  Well, apart from all the mentioning of "thingys" - but I find that thingy is such a useful word and the majority of people understand it.

Finished the bag last night - well, almost finished it, I've had a complete brains-to-custard moment, and have LOST the finishing touch, which is the button flap that goes on the front!  I made it, hemmed it, turned it inside out, overstitched it, took it through to the back room and ironed it - and it's now completely disappeared!!!!   I finally gave up searching for it, but shall have a look again today.

Here's the almost-finished bag...

Now I suppose I'll have to make a new outfit to wear with it on Saturday night - what fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
fc4real
Everywhere I look....... there I am!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010 03:13:00 PM »

absolutely brilliant! and I love that fabric pattern!!!

Great job on both the bag and the purse (coming from an american, that was weird to type. LMAO)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeathToLems
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010 02:27:02 PM »

just the tutorial i was looking for!! awesome! now i dont need to carry a bulky purse. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

new_bee
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010 01:21:03 PM »

this is great, i was searching so hard for a wallet tutorial ... well, i guess it'll be a long time before i attempt it (only just getting started) but now i know where to find it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
- Terry Pratchett -
DreamyDahlia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010 07:00:42 AM »

So lovely! Wait...that's your line not mine~ Angry It is so very pretty. Loving that finished bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Its never too late to become what you might have been.

Astrid's blog: http://bigblackandbrowndog.blogspot.com
Etsy shop: http://www.astridnicole.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Storytelling in Macro Photography
When Are You Ready For a DSLR
Critical Shutter Speeds in Macro Photography
How to Choose a Lens For a DSLR - Photography Tips
Nikon J1 Video Sample
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...