A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretend Medicine  (Read 3252 times)
Tags for this thread: faux , toy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goldencrafter
« on: August 09, 2010 10:34:46 AM »

My daughter is seven and still active with her dolls. Nurse is her favorite game so I recycled an empty medicine bottle to help her heal the babies.
Warning If your obedient child has not figured out how to get the cap off then leave it off so they don't learn. My DD learned years ago how to open the child proof caps and understands the danger of medications.

One empty bottle with or without cap
one little bottle of nail polish, I used BonBon

Wash the bottle and let it dry completely. Pour the polish into the bottle. The polish may pour out or just drip, mine did both but either way it didn't take long.
Once the polish is in tilt and turn the bottle till if coats the bottom and a little of the sides. Allow to dry, you may have to turn it a few times while drying because the polish will slide down the sides.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010 10:35:14 AM by goldencrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slue-Foot Sue
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010 11:05:40 AM »

What a great idea! I imagine you could superglue the tops on if you were worried about a child learning to uncap the bottle.

I don't have any children yet, but I just imagine some friend or family visiting and having a cow when they see my child playing with a very realistic looking bottle of medicine. Of course there is no harm, but what I have learned from watching my friends with children is that other people judge you and freak out about every little thing you do with your children.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyWitsAnd4

do i gnome you?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010 11:20:45 AM »

bring out the empty tequila bottles filled with lemonade to play with when THOSE judgmentals come over!
LOL

great idea with the medicine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sultrykitten
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010 11:22:47 AM »

Cool idea. I don't have kids either yet. But I bet you could also use a rubbing alcohol bottle or a mini bottle of soda, then they could have the cap to put on and off and it wouldn't be child proof. You could just remove the lables and make your own. Makes it a little more difficult I guess. Great Idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slue-Foot Sue
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010 11:34:14 AM »

But I bet you could also use a rubbing alcohol bottle or a mini bottle of soda, then they could have the cap to put on and off and it wouldn't be child proof. You could just remove the lables and make your own. Makes it a little more difficult I guess. Great Idea!
Your rubbing alcohol idea makes me think of a fake first aid kit with instructions. They could practice and learn first aid procedures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010 12:07:43 PM »

I appreciate your creativity, but there are just too many hazards with this that makes it inappropriate for small children, I think.  The biggest one being that they shouldn't be playing pretend with a real medicine bottle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010 12:38:26 PM »

But I bet you could also use a rubbing alcohol bottle or a mini bottle of soda, then they could have the cap to put on and off and it wouldn't be child proof. You could just remove the lables and make your own. Makes it a little more difficult I guess. Great Idea!
Your rubbing alcohol idea makes me think of a fake first aid kit with instructions. They could practice and learn first aid procedures.

Great ideas.....She may just grow up to be the doctor that discovers a cure for AIDS, Cancer, or whatever.
If we teach them when they are young they grow up to be responsible adults. I ♥ it!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010 01:22:36 PM »

I find this very creative. Allowing a child to play with this who is 7 is very different than allowing a 2-4 year old to do it. I've seen numerous toys that simulate medical equipment, so should those be not allowed as well?

The only recommendation I have is to write her name on the bottom of the bottle so there is no way for confusion to happen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010 01:50:08 PM »

Hello all, the original poster did include a caveat and certainly didn't advise giving it to toddlers or anything. Please stay on topic and stay polite and respectful.

While we all have our own opinions, let's play nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
spicytaco

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010 02:46:40 PM »

We used to have an empty Tylenol bottle and we'd use Rockets candy as pills. Doctor/Nurse is a super fun game. Your nail polish really looks like Pepto Bismal (sp?) to me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010 02:47:44 PM by spicytaco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Transitions - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use a Traveling Luma Matte - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 1/3
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 2/3
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 3/3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...