A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black + Grey Striped Tee from a little girl dress!  (Read 906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2010 09:55:55 PM »

Last Friday I went for a walk with mum and we found ourselves at the nearest op-shop, that I keep forgetting exists! It's always got really nice stuff. Classy you know?

I snagged a bunch of little girl things, but they weren't like obviously girly - so I could reconstruct them into little boy things! I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before, so now instead of looking everywhere at the op-shop BUT the little girl section, I'll be combing every single rack!

Before::

I turned this size 10 little girl's dress into a long-sleeved tee for my son. I had to cut the dress across the underbust seam because it was slightly gathered. I then cut a new bottom part of the shirt from the bottom of the dress, so i could keep the hem. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself because you can't even tell there is a big seam running across tehmiddle of his chest!

I had to cut off the shoulder seams, and reattach the front and back at a new shoulder seam to make the neckhole smaller. The sleeves I took off and made smaller, cutting new sleeves out of the old sleeves starting from the wrist and going up, so it has the existing cuffs.

Then I appliqued a little lightening bolt onto the front and just stitched a few millimetres from the edge to secure it, I left the edge a bit raw because i thought it'd look cute.

What do you think?

Edited::Sorry I had them watermarked. I'm just worried about people stealing his photos. A lady whose blog I follow had that happen to her and it's CREEPY
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010 08:40:16 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllaRain
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010 10:09:29 PM »

The shirt looks great. You would never know it was from a girl's section. Plus your model is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
VeggieJess
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010 07:17:50 AM »

Really cute!  I have a little boy on the way, and love seeing what people sew for their boys!  It looks like it fits him very well, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change!

My Lov.li
http://lov.li/users/4607
runciblespoon
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010 02:02:01 PM »

This is gorgeous, I love everything about it! I've been looking at a lot of boy clothes which could be made into girls', but somehow it never occurred to me to do it the other way. Plus, boys' clothes seem more complicated, somehow... You've inspired me to try, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010 05:18:11 AM »

Ar boys clothes are so simple! that's why there is hardly anything out there! nevermind, i;m determined to change all that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bake Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
7 Easy-to-Make Yogurt Snacks That Taste Like Dessert
How to Make Carrot Cake Pops
How to Make Flower-Pot Cakes
Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s Lemon Poppy Trifle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...