A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Urgent wire question  (Read 4012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antigone
« on: May 16, 2005 07:51:25 AM »

I need to make a pair of earrings as soon as possible using some kind of silver wire, preferably one which can be found in a regular hardware store. Is there any common metal which is silver colored, pliable but keeps its shape and doesn't turn black or anything? I called the hardware store and there was zinc... something... iron or steel wire which seems to be the right thickness. Any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005 08:13:34 AM »

If you are looking for a safe silver tone, the hardware store is gonna be tricky. 

Titanium would be ideal, but tends to be dark. Steel would be the one to go with of the ones you listed.

If you are just using the wire for the decorative bits, then go for something that looks good and that isn't too brittle, like coated copper or zinc, where the coating is the color you want.

If you are planning to use the wire for EAR wires, which will go through the lobe and make serious skin contact....you're heading for an 'ouch' situation.  Keep in mind that the reason for using precious metals for ear wires is health and not tradition.  Zinc and lead are toxic and can be absorbed through the skin.  People are also more likely to have allergic reactions to base metals too.

Tongue don't know if this was any help at all --
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005 09:25:56 AM »

Steel should be reasonably OK if you're making actual ear findings, but there's still a good chance of reaction.  Surgical steel is the most common metal used in ear findings, but even that is still associated with reaction, but I think most metals used for cheap craft-store findings are just plain ol' silver and gold-toned steel.  However, I would really recommend avoiding the hardware store and heading to the craft store if there is one available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
antigone
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005 10:37:20 AM »

The ear "hooks" are sterling silver; I just need some other material for the dangly parts... The only craft stores in my area don't have the kind of wire I'm looking for. I have regular steel wire at home but it makes my fingertips grey just touching it... not very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Eat Art
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005 10:48:54 AM »

The ear "hooks" are sterling silver; I just need some other material for the dangly parts... The only craft stores in my area don't have the kind of wire I'm looking for. I have regular steel wire at home but it makes my fingertips grey just touching it... not very nice.

Steel comes in an enourmous variety of hardness, color, etc. based on how much carbon is in it. The hardware store might have some stainless steel wire or something else that would work for you, Anything else will rust too easily.
Steel can be galvanized, which means plated in zinc. This keeps it shiny, and prevents rust, but zinc is toxic and as someone mentioned earlier, you can't stick it in your ears. You also can't heat it up, the fumes are toxic.

Otherwise, mail ordering wire is your best bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
antigone
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005 12:00:15 PM »

ok. Thanks a lot for your replies! I think I'll have to wait a bit and mailorder then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Traditional Indian Paneer
Meet Sushi Expert Mamie Nishide
Sushi Etiquette Tips
Ginger Guide for Sushi
How to Make Nigiri Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...