A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Things to use as beads  (Read 1549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010 01:09:02 PM »

I love beaded jewelry - small, big, chunky, skinny, whatever! But beads (especially the pretty glass ones) tend to be expensive when you're buying lots of them for multiple projects. So I've been on the hunt for things to use as beads, since you can use pretty much anything you can put a hole in. So far I have:

1. Metal washers/nuts (my dad has a huge workshop and has more than he knows what to do with, so I use some of them as beads)
2. Recycled plastic bottles (I found the tutorial on here about making beads from them)
3. Old/broken jewelry (take off all the beads and reuse them!)

I'm always on the lookout for more, though. Anyone else have any ideas for beads?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Tanath
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010 11:49:02 AM »

You can make some pretty awesome beads using all kinds of materials, like paper, clay (polymer clay, ceramic clay, paper clay, lots of stuff), felt, macaroni  Tongue. I'm sure there's loads of tutorials around Craftster for the different materials, let me know if you need help digging them up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010 11:05:03 PM »

Well, a blouse/sweater at Goodwill is what. two bucks? if you found one with pretty beading. Or even interesting buttons. Check out the melted cd jewelry tutes here, too.
And sometimes the local dollar stores have dirt cheap jewelry that's worth it just to take apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011 06:03:48 PM »

-Newspapers, or if you do paper crafts: take the remnants and put them in a blender to make paper. Just smash together to form beads.
-There's a tutorial for cutting class using a candle, you could try doing that over the neck to make a pendant from that.
-I used to collect broken glass pieces by walking the train tracks. Then I would fry them to crack the inside, and sand the sides down to make it smooth. Makes beautiful and unique jewelry!
-You can make beads from sticks by just cutting them down into small cylinder pieces.
-Christmas tree light bulbs, they make cute beads!
-Shells and rocks will work too, but you need appropriate drill bits for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011 12:06:23 AM »

Cut magazine pages into triangular pieces and roll them up to make beads. I also recently found this etsy listing that caught my eye: http://www.etsy.com/listing/64952956/recycled-magazine-disc-necklace-made

The beads on that necklace appear to just be circles cut out of magazine paper, and yet it looks great, at least to me. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Cook Chicken with Fennel, Capers and Pine Nuts
Learn how to Pan Fry Turkey Burgers and Finish the Dish
Learn how to Make Turkey Burgers
Learn how to Make Cucumber and String Bean Salad with Olive Tapenade Dressing
Learn how to Cook Dill and Feta Turkey Burgers with Cucumber and String Bean Salad
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...