A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DVD Cases.......Help  (Read 7714 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkijam
« on: August 08, 2010 12:59:43 PM »

I need some ideas for Reusing/Recycling/Upcycling DVD cases. My partner has a DVD rental business and we have literally thousands of them, as the discs all get transferred into lockable cases to prevent theft.
This is soooo unenvironmentally friendly, and I have been tempted to just pop them a few each week into the recycling bin, but I still hang onto them in the vague hope something crafty will evolve.

Any ideas???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAmadurk
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010 04:57:07 PM »

I donate them to the library --they use them to replace the ones that get too beat.

MAmadurk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010 08:32:03 PM »

1) compact first-aid kit for your car's glove box
2) a handy place to put panty liners/thin pads in your purse if you're a chick
3) a handy place to put your car's insurance card & registration & photocopy of your driver's license in your glove box - in case you get pulled over by police or have a fender bender. I hate rummaging around in there when I need something in a hurry.
4) a clock - slide a picture into the sleeve, drill a hole thru the front, attach a clock mechanism, open the case, let it stand up with the case ajar
5) build something with them - hot glue a few together to create a unit. That would be so cool to create a wall unit of "cubicles" and use it to display or organize your crafty items. Maybe rather than putting a picture in the pouch, put a piece of fabric, for colour.
6) huge wall art - take a picture to a place that does large printouts on a plotter (engineers & surveyors use this service) they print out 24 x 36  or 36x48" . Cut the resulting picture into 5x7 pieces Or if you have the equipment & the technical know-how, it is possible to get a home printer to print the image in small pieces. Put the picture pieces into each front sleeve. Using 2-sided foam tape, cut the tape into small pieces (you'll only need like 2 small pieces) and put them on the back of the video case. Re-assemble your picture back together & stick it to your wall!
This will use 25 or 49 cases, depending on your image. You can also do the same thing with cd cases.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun & don't forget to post your finished pics Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Alex(andra)

Jusqu'ici, tout va bien.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010 11:43:54 AM »

I came to this board to post almost this exact query, except I only have about 100 cases.

Last Christmas, I gave someone a movie gift card inside an empty DVD case and I thought I was pretty clever. It holds gift cards nicely (I taped the back of mine to the center that holds the DVD in).

I'm experimenting with making pop-up greeting cards out of them (mostly for the people I see in person... not sure how easy they would be to mail).

I really love the wall art idea!!! I definitely want to try that.

Every year for Christmas, I make a cheesy little slideshow video to show my cross-country family what I was up to all year (like the family newsletter, except slightly more high-tech) and I will definitely be putting them in real cases this year (instead of the little paper sleeves I usually use).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." [Noam Chomsky]
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010 06:16:35 AM »

I was able to make a book out of a DVD case..it's tough to adhere to the plastic, but I made a small scrapbook with about 15 pages and used the DVD case as the covers.  It worked out well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
rideit78

A prayer for wild hearts kept in cages

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010 01:18:56 AM »

If they are clear/see through we use them for our unmounted rubber stamps. We store them in these
then label the edges. So easy much easier to store this way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rest in peace, my beautiful Bubby! I miss you terribly! JLea's Diamond NThe Rough born Oct. 5, 1996. Departed this earth July 24, 2011

I don't mean to brag or make you jealous, but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school!
funkijam
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010 04:51:50 PM »

wow lots of ideas coming along, thanks guys for the input! we do use some to display signage around the stores and some for internal mail and such like...............but it is an ever growing pile!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasminerenee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011 06:10:27 PM »

I was rummaging for moving boxes, and found a huge box of the cases. I use them to store photos in my scrapbooking! Each one is labeled with the date and a description, IE one box is "Christmas - 2007"  or "2009 - Myrtle Beach". It keeps all the photos tucked together safely, and all I have to do when doing those pages is to find that box. The boxes tuck neatly into a shoebox, which I place on its side in my craft room. I also use them to show off photos in our living room. I have five or six tucked on the coffee table at any one time. My friends do it too! You can create a cover and slip it into the plastic. Wrap them, and people think they're getting a DVD, but are pleasantly surprised to get photos!

Jasmine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Up Do How To Video
The Zoe Report: 15 Beauty Must-Haves For A Sunny Escape
Surprising Uses for Cinnamon in Your Beauty Routine
January Jones Reveals Her Must Have Beauty Products
5 Must Have Beauty Devices
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...