A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: D.I.Y. Henna (aka Mehandi)  (Read 12559 times)
Tags for this thread: henna , craft_challenge_53_entries , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010 05:14:34 PM »

does anyone know where to get good henna online?   i'm in japan...no kinsington market Sad  i'm really inspired now...i had henna once before in a kit and loved it, but the kit was kinda expensive.  i've always wanted to get a tat, but have a phobia so this would be a great alternative too Smiley   i know there's good henna and there's not so good henna(the kind that's been sitting around for a while and doesn't work as well) and since i'm completely new to this need some pointers.

Good question. I've never bought any online myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Flavia@hennacaravan
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010 05:54:27 AM »

Once you get hooked on henna it is so much fun.
There are some ways to make sure you are using safe , natural henna so that you get the best results for yourself and anyone else you are applying henna to.

Buy the best henna , and either mix it yourself or buy from a reputable seller. Never purchase premade cones or tubes from a foreign country and they may contain cheap additives to make the paste darker like kerosene, gasoline, lighter fluid or chemical dye that can cause rash, blisters, scars and life long allergies to these ingredients.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hennacaravan/2980330436/in/set-72157604300744280/
I use the KISS recipe:
henna
lemon juice
sugar
cajeput essential oil or lavender oil
But using this recipe and following the instructions I get dark, long lasting , safe henna. http://www.hennacaravan.com/how/how.html
mix 20 grams of pure , natural henna powder with 1/4 cup lemon juice stir well 
cover and let sit in a warm (80 degrees) place for 12 hours.
add  1.5  teaspoons sugar and  1.5  teaspoons of cajeput or lavender oil and stir well.
cover and let sit for 12 hours in warm (80 degree) place. after the time is up stir well and add lemon juice if needed to thin the paste. fill your applicator and start having fun.
THis recipe is simple, easy and works for me every time.
http://www.hennacaravan.com/pix_hands/hand2010_hwtmk.jpg
have fun with henna and don't forget to add glitter for sparkles
Flavia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flavia@hennacaravan
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010 05:54:50 AM »

Once you get hooked on henna it is so much fun.
There are some ways to make sure you are using safe , natural henna so that you get the best results for yourself and anyone else you are applying henna to.

Buy the best henna , and either mix it yourself or buy from a reputable seller. Never purchase premade cones or tubes from a foreign country and they may contain cheap additives to make the paste darker like kerosene, gasoline, lighter fluid or chemical dye that can cause rash, blisters, scars and life long allergies to these ingredients.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hennacaravan/2980330436/in/set-72157604300744280/
I use the KISS recipe:
henna
lemon juice
sugar
cajeput essential oil or lavender oil
But using this recipe and following the instructions I get dark, long lasting , safe henna. http://www.hennacaravan.com/how/how.html
mix 20 grams of pure , natural henna powder with 1/4 cup lemon juice stir well 
cover and let sit in a warm (80 degrees) place for 12 hours.
add  1.5  teaspoons sugar and  1.5  teaspoons of cajeput or lavender oil and stir well.
cover and let sit for 12 hours in warm (80 degree) place. after the time is up stir well and add lemon juice if needed to thin the paste. fill your applicator and start having fun.
THis recipe is simple, easy and works for me every time.
http://www.hennacaravan.com/pix_hands/hand2010_hwtmk.jpg
have fun with henna and don't forget to add glitter for sparkles
Flavia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blue_lalita
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010 11:16:33 AM »

Thanks for the tut! I've been trying to work up the courage to try henna for quite a while. I have a question - I've read some other tutorials, and they didn't mention tea - is that just to make it darker? Do you use regular black tea? I've also read that you can (should?) add certain essential oils, but your recipe looks much simpler, and it turned out well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicytaco

Lalala...

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010 02:44:23 PM »

There are definitely more things you can add to the mix. Clove oil and eucalyptus oil are two common ones. The clove oil darkens the colour and the eucalyptus helps to open the pours so the colour takes better. (The eucalyptus oil can also be rubbed onto the skin prior to application.) I like to keep it simple though.

The tea helps to darken it, but also gives it a little more of a red hue I think. I just use regular black tea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has Wist.
lunamadre
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010 12:35:49 PM »

Great tutorial....I think part of the fun is mixing up your own henna, personally. Cheesy

I learned so much from this site too, it has an incredible amount of information.  Also has reputable vendors for ordering henna, and free downloads of patterns and design "how-to".  Also covers hair dyeing, indigo and harquu work, etc.
http://www.hennapage.com/

I like to dab a cottonball of rosewater on my designs after they start to set too... Oh, here's another tip:   If you are planning on doing henna, exfoliating is a good idea, but don't use any lotion on your skin the day that you are applying henna.  Just apply to plain, clean skin.  Lotion tends to block the absorption of the stain and the design doesn't seem to last as long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amk881
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010 08:43:49 PM »

Great tutorial! One question, how do you remove the henna tatoo? Do you have to wait for it to fade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicytaco

Lalala...

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010 02:37:50 PM »

Great tutorial! One question, how do you remove the henna tatoo? Do you have to wait for it to fade?

Yup, you just have to wait. I read somewhere that you could remove a henna tatoo with sunscreen, but it doesn't work. (At least not when I tried.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has Wist.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010 12:54:19 AM »

Great tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
kcartwright856
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011 07:59:01 PM »

Awesome and thorough tutorial. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Anime Bodies
How to Illustrate Anime Mouths
How to Design Anime Animals
How to Illustrate Anime Clothes
How to Design Tall Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...