A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
364 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bring the sun inside!  (Read 7128 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_53_entries , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Happyturtle
« on: August 07, 2010 05:58:30 PM »

Howdy! So, when I started this, I didn't really think I woudl enter it in this challenge, But I was working on it a week ago trying to think of what to enter in this challenge, and it just hit me! So I made some instructions on how to bring the sun into your house, like I have in mine! (and since today, in Seattle it is rather rainy and droopy, working in there even brightened my day up!
I hope you like the room, and the tutorial!

This a rather big project, since it involves painting a re-doing a whole room, but I found it to be really fun, so I hope you like it too! It is a good way to almost literally bring the sun into your house too! (also, I read in some house design magazine that yellow helps you focus and cheers you up, so thats always nice!)
Here's somewhat like the finished room might look like (depending on how you decorate!)

What you will need:
Wall paint
lots (4 to 5 of each probably, they dont last long) foam paint brushes (1 and 2 inch wide are good)
Paint roller and tray (bigger is better, since your painting the wall with it)
small, detail brushes
pencil
old wooden furniture

1.) Gather Supplies
I like to get the wall paint, brushes and rollers at The Home Depot, since they have a huge selection of paint. The colors of paint I used were Behr brand:
Lemon Sorbet (yellow) (the base color of the wall)
Kumquat (orange)
pepper grass (green)
Wickford Bay (dark blue)
Puerto Rico Sky (light blue)
I like to get old furniture from garage sales and, most of all, junky antique stores. I love to find the weirdest styled furniture, with nice carved detail or fancy trims. They look really good once theyre painted too. Anything thats wood works though, since it will be painted.

2.) Paint the base color
(Before you paint, if there is any sort of flooring down you want to save from paint drips, ore any furniture/stuff in the room, put a drop cloth down, or just some newspapers put right up against the wall and over all the furniture should work too. Also if there is trim or windows door etc that shouldnt get paint on them, be sure to tape them off with blue painters tape.)
I used about a half gallon of the lemon sorbet paint to paint my 12 by 20 ft room with one coat. That was all I needed, since the walls were white. If your walls are a darker color then the yellow, then you may want to put a primer on before you paint the yellow. Any water based wall paint primer should work.

3.) Pencil out your designs
Once the paint has dried, start lightly drawing your designs on the walls. On my walls, the back wall, (that looks like a jungle) was inspired by a book cover I saw, and I just took the concept and made my own. For me, it is easier to paint solid colors with not much detail, as I am quite an amature at painting. That is why all my walls are simple shapes. On the wall that looks like mountains, I used painters tape to randomly make some mountainish peaks and then filled it in with paint. The other two walls were just freehand. Here's some inspiration Wink:

4.) Paint in your designs
Once your design has been drawn and your happy with it, you can start painting.

5.) Flooring
Once the walls are all done, if you dont have flooring down at the time (my room was an unfinished room over the garage, so I had plywood as flooring for a while.) You may want to find something to put down. I used astroturf, since I liked the color of it, and it was pretty cheap. If you dont want to make a huge investment in flooring, you could also paint your floors with floor paint. In Craft: magazine I saw a cool idea where someone stenciled huge designs on their old wooden floors with cardboard stencils. A good place to look for ideas would be www.craftzine.com and Craftster.

6.) Prime the Furniture!
 So, hopefully you have gathered a collection of furniture that will work in your space.  Now you will want to wipe everything down with a damp washcloth, getting all dust and dirt off of it, and lay down some newspaper or drop cloths where your going to paint (though a rainbow speckled floor could be cool). Then paint everything with primer, since it makes the job (and the paint coats) go a lot faster.

7.) Paint! Paint! Paint!
So, once all the primer is dry, go ahead and pick a color and paint the furniture with the same paint you used on the wall. What I did with most of my furniture was paint a base color first, then decorate it using small detail brushes. I also liked to use the wooden back of my detail brushes, dip it in the paint, and then dot the furniture. It is a quite simple and beautiful way to add some detail if your like me, and not a star painter.

8.) Finish furniture
to better preserve the painted furniture, you can get a clear coat spray paint and spray a few coats on (letting each coat dry fully before adding the next). This will give it a very slightly shiny appearance, depending on what glossiness level you buy, but will protect the paint from scratching off etc.

9.) Organize!
Once you have all of your furniture ready to go, and your flooring is down and all is well, you can start organizing your furniture into the room. This is pretty much up to you, since your room could be for anything. My room was my art room, so I set it up with desks and storage on one side, and a chill space on the other side. To organize my art room, I used a lot of projects I found on Craftster and on www.craftzine.com, which are both full of cool ways to organize stuff, and good inspiration too!

10.) Enjoy your happy, sunny room for a long time to come!
I hope you have fun with this, and happy crafting!

The sun does have a happy face on it, but its hard to see!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011 01:54:49 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hope your wearing comfy shoes, cause today's gonna be a freakin' adventure!
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010 06:13:52 PM »

Oh, wow, that looks cool! And so helpful!

I am in the process of decorating (slowly but surely) and I am totally going to use your dot idea. Perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sandroo

Mine is an evil laugh!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010 06:15:25 PM »

Wow.  This is absolutely beautiful.  i can not wait until we are no longer renting so i can try something as awe-inspiring as this.  for a not-so-good painter. . . you ROCK!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010 06:25:57 PM »

It's grey and rainy in Seattle today...ohhh how I wish I had a bright and cheerful room like yours!! It's just lovely. The colors all work well together and you are a very talented painter. It looks like you had fun with this project Smiley.

Thanks for brightening my day!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010 06:38:03 PM »

this room is so cute! I hope to paint my craft room soon and will be stealing some of your tips and ideas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010 10:44:23 PM »

I love this room! It looks so happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010 05:26:53 AM »

Gosh I like your room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
indigoaquarius
2nd hand & Scrap fabrics rock!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010 06:15:42 PM »

So sweet! This is excellent! It would be awesome for a kiddo's room! Brilliant idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time a girl named Indigo played with her Gran's sewing machine... the rest is fabric hoarding, sewing addicting history!
Bewara
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010 06:49:50 AM »

I really like all the detail and color you put into the room. It looks like an awesome creative space! I just wish some of the photos were larger, especially of the green painted wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never know what I'm doing. I just fake it really well.

http://www.thehappyfunshop.com
My Wist

Craft Swaps:
Embroidery Hoopla Round 3- stitching, stitching, stitching
K8iSGR8
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010 11:14:46 PM »

WOW. I absolutely ADORE your room. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm only pretending to be crafty,.. hopefully one day I'll get it right Tongue

www.knot2witty.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make LED-Lit Action Figures
How to Make Flowers Out of Ribbon
How to Use Lyrics in a Scrapbook
How to Scrapbook an Autograph
How to Sell Scrapbooks Online
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...