A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
334 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for Creating a Travel Journal  (Read 45621 times)
Tags for this thread: travel , vacation , journal , tutorial , craft_challenge_53_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pincushion_queen

old fashioned, but fashionable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011 04:34:37 AM »

Quick question... do you not get in trouble trying to take scissors on a plane?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011 05:01:40 AM »

You probably would now yes. I did have a tiny pair that seemed to get ignored, but I'm not sure where they went when I moved. Now I have a small pair that I pop in my check-in luggage and take out to put in my pencil case when I arrive. Saves any trouble Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pincushion_queen

old fashioned, but fashionable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011 12:37:00 AM »

Thanks, I think i'll do the same just in case...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011 08:52:52 PM »

Phizzycraft I love all your projects.But I don't think I could attempt anything like yours.We don't have concerts where I live or fairs or anything like that.And my family doesn't travel anywhere.So I don't know of anything I could put in a journal  Cry.But yours is so incredible it takes my speech away.Hope to see more projects soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
cherryrose
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011 11:28:24 AM »

This really makes me want to start a journal. I t would be great to be creative whilst waiting and always having something with you to write in and stick things into. I always say I'm starting a journal, but I never really do. Maybe prepping some pages would help to actually get going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
Sarcastra
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011 07:11:07 PM »

Quick question... do you not get in trouble trying to take scissors on a plane?
I fly regularly for work within the US, so thought I'd share. I carry safety scissors (the kind kids take to school with rounded ends) in a top pocket of my backpack and get through every time. Once, they fell out of the pocket and to the bottom of the backpack with my other stuff and my bag was searched. The TSA gal said they were fine alone because they could tell what and how big they were.  I also carry a Speedball lino carver (with tips stored in handle) and it is never a problem.

On the other hand, I often pick up rusted metal and junk off the sidewalks and no matter how or where I pack it, my bag gets searched for it.

Last week in New Orleans (MSY) I packed away four small tubes of printing ink, a huge (4+? oz) bottle of acrylic paint and a brayer. They scanned my bag twice (once per long plane) but didn't search it.

Don't know about international travel, besides stricter. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breadofmany

"strange bedfellows"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2011 05:36:52 PM »

thanks, these are actually super useful tips..

for some reason it never occurred to me to prepare the journal BEFORE i went on the trip (?!) , haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ breadofmany.etsy.com }

{ breadofmany.blogspot.com }
DragonRhapsody
AP Practicing, Crafty Momma

Crafty, AP Momma of 2 boys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011 06:36:51 PM »

Phizzycraft I love all your projects.But I don't think I could attempt anything like yours.We don't have concerts where I live or fairs or anything like that.And my family doesn't travel anywhere.So I don't know of anything I could put in a journal  Cry.But yours is so incredible it takes my speech away.Hope to see more projects soon.
Even if your family doesn't travel, or you don't go to free concerts or celebration days {we have free concert/celebration days at our local parks}, you can always collect and create a journal out of every day inspiration! Such as drawing, collecting nature-like things, or even just collecting miscellaneous things while you go for a walk around your neighbourhood! I found some interesting bits of metal from a rusted car, and an old blanket left at the park {plus an old sippy cup that my son now uses} -- or you could check your local Craigs list for free items! XD

I have several journals for: sketching stuff, designing clothing/characters, collecting random bits of fabric/paper/photos/advertisements/fashion ads, etc that I enjoy, my personal diary, an inspiration/writing journal, and a separate journal for my travels that I only write in and will later transcribe some parts into a scrapbook; I am going to start a journal just for my son, so I can collect his words as he advances, draw little pictures or keep his drawings, add fabric of favourite and old clothing, photos of family members so he can "remember them" as he grows older, photos of himself, favourite games, etc -- an interactive "Scrapbook" of memories!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaybeeeee
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011 02:39:04 PM »

nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listen to my music on Spotify or on iTunes Smiley
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011 04:28:01 PM »

I have several different journals going at a time - at least one of them is always more of a "things that amuse me" journal. It's usually mostly clippings from magazines/newspapers/free advertisement post cards. I have several older dictionaries and I go through and clip words that strike my fancy.

I'm going on a huge trip in March - for my 40th I'm going to Orkney, Islands North of Scotland between Hebrides and Shetlands. I've been plotting and planning for several years now and it seems unreal that I'm buying a plane ticket in a couple of weeks and making reservations. So I decided to use the time to prep a journal for both myself and my mother! (My DH abhors travel and mom and I are both similarly laid back.) Mom writes in journals more than she does altered art so I've been covering pages with tissue paper and notebook/graph paper - kinda whatever I have around. I've also put in pockets for all the stuff we'll come across! I opened this post a couple of days ago to jog my memory before I started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Don Winslow Discusses His New Book "The Cartel"
Hurricane Katrina: 10 Years Later
How To Grill A Whole Chicken in Just 20 Minutes
Who Was the Richest Man That Ever Lived?
Kevin Young: Poetry Inspired by Great Migration
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...