A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
829 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for Creating a Travel Journal  (Read 31747 times)
Tags for this thread: travel , vacation , journal , tutorial , craft_challenge_53_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2010 05:13:04 PM »

Everyone has their own way of documenting a holiday/vacation, but this is the way I have found suits me. I thought this challenge would be the perfect opportunity to try and put these ideas in one place.

Some of the photos are not as good as I would have liked as I planned to take some snaps before I left for my hols, but I finished prepping my book at the last minute and didnt have time. So, here I am sat in a hotel taking photos Tongue

I am hoping to add updated journal photos to this post as I finish them, after the challenge is done.

Things to do before your holiday.

Step 1: Choose a good book
It could be a printed book that may be relevant to your holiday, or a plain book or sketchbook. I love to use the fair-trade books from Oxfam as they have wonderful textured pages with leaves/flowers/occasional straw in (see photo below on right). They take the paint well (no rippling) and make the page interesting before youve even started on it! You need to take into account the number of pages you will need. You can even bind your own book so it fits your needs perfectly.

Step 2: Paint
I like to use watercolours, and occasionally acrylic. Some pens dont enjoy writing on the acrylic paint though, so bear this in mind.

You probably want to use different colours depending on your holiday. If youre visiting a lot of ancient ruins then you may want to use a lot of browns and yellows to compliment the scenery. If youre visiting somewhere more vibrant, like a city, you might want to use a brighter array of colours.

I like to paint a variety of pages in different ways. Usually Ill use watercolours and paint a single base colour. Sometimes, before it dries Ill add other colours around the edge so it bleeds a little into the page.

If you want a uniform paint effect then leave the page to dry. If you like a messier effect then place a piece of card between the pages and work on the next page. This will leave a crinkled effect on the page.

Step 3: Add paper details
I like to add some details to some pages before go on holiday for 2 reasons. 1. Its less intimidating to work on a page thats already been started in some way, however small. And 2. It means that you carry less paper bits around with you!

Root through your stash and find the perfect bits to use.

Add ribbons and things that extend from the page to add interest and texture to the book. This is also a good way of dividing the book if you are travelling around. You could have tabs at diffent cities you visit for example.

Things to do while you are away

Step 4: Procure bits
Grab as many nice things for your journal as you can, preferably for free! Even if you dont use it straight away, bag it because you never know when it will come in handy. Good things to collect are;

Travel magazines and leaflets
Tickets
Business cards
Sugar packets and paper napkins if theyre labelled with the caf/restaurant info
Labels off local produce
Leaves/flower petals (to press)/feathers
Teabag labels
Anything that you can stain pages with (berries for example*)
Local papers
Streamers/confetti

* always make sure they are not poisonous first! Wink

This was an in-flight magazine I ripped up on the plane tonight (with permission). The good bits I've kept because they had good colours, patterns and pictures

Don't be afraid to stick your goodies straight in! Wink

Step 5: Doodle and draw
I like to use watercolour pencils to go around my paper bits and black pens to outline and doodle on the pages. Draw landscapes and elements of buildings. If you carry a paintbrush with you, you can always find some water to blend the crayonalthough I have to admit to using my own spit more often than not!

Here are two finished pages I finished (maybe. I like to go back an rework and doodle on pages) today...

Ooh a card for the hotel, goodie! Straight into the book it goes! Cheesy

Step 6: Write
Make notes, scribble observations, weather forecasts, write shopping listsanything that captures the essence of the holiday!

It's a simple thing, but here I've added the name of the airport to the boarding stubb. I had a cup of tea (I was hoping for a hang tab!) so I pressed it onto the page to create the circle and then wrote 'cup of tea'. Simple, but it adds to the page and the memories.

Step 7: Dont forget to journal as you go
If youre like me, youll forget parts of your holiday if you dont document things as you go. Dont be afraid to whip out your journal and scribble notes or glue things in wherever you are. It may lead to some interesting conversations with total strangers, which is always a good thing!

The pencil case rackcoo made me years ago is perfect for travelling. I keep it stocked with everything I need and it lives in my bag all the time. You'll see it in the aeroplane photo above as well Cheesy

Things I like to have in my pencil case:
Pencils
Black ink pens
Black Sharpie
White pen
A handful of watercolour pencils
Sharpener
Glue stick
Scissors

I also like to cary a travel watercolour set with me, but it's not essential, you can just take a paintbrush for the pencils.

(also a mention to audio-astrophysics for my favourite travel bag with it's perfect pockets!)

Step 8: Make it personal!
Everyone takes different experiences away from their holiday so try to create something that represents your holiday, that you would be happy to look through in years to come. If you prefer writing, write! Prefer drawing, sketch away!

Thanks for looking. Happy travelling! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010 11:18:23 PM by Phizzychick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010 05:44:55 PM »

phizz.... i knew this was you ..... I love this idea...... and as usual yours is absolutely gorgeous!.... thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010 05:51:31 PM »

This is a wonderful post. Thank you for spending time on writing it. Your art is beautiful, as always.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annigirl22
Kickin Ass since '89

ninja! or something like that...

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010 06:28:22 PM »

this is amazing!
I love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

feel free to stalk me:
http://pinterest.com/annigirl22/
http://wists.com/annigirl22

I <3 personal swaps, PM me! Wink
dinkime

Do you like my scrapbook monocle?

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010 11:02:46 PM »

awesome!  you may want to add a small stapler & small scissors (TSA approved) to your bag, too (if you have room!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010 11:17:55 PM »

oops, yeah, forgot to list scissors, thanks! I pack them separately in my checked-in luggage to make sure they're okay for travelling. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010 11:18:54 PM by Phizzychick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiecazz

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010 07:21:08 AM »

Thanks for the fantastic ideas.
I'm just back from my first Music festival and I really want to document it somehow.
I'm going to use some of your ideas. I plan to go every year so I'm thinking my Teesha Moore folder will make a cool Belladrum Festival Log.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftladyofsteel
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010 02:13:53 PM »

Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it!

It is gorgeous. It is practical. Yeah for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toy
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010 02:48:53 PM »

I love this- I'm totally useless with notebooks/sketchbooks and fail to ever write or draw anything in them...everything I ever do always looks so rubbish but I might have to give it a go again with this in mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hurts, doesn't it?
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010 02:59:32 PM »

Wonderful work as always!
Need to prep mine for a beach trip...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Model Candice Swanepoel LIVE
Candice Swanepoel Answers #NoFilter Questions
Holiday Beauty Gifts for $30 or Less
The 6 Best Red Lipsticks
Is Your Pillowcase Making You Breakout?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...