A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
831 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deadly procrastination.  (Read 1499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dollversity
« on: August 07, 2010 03:00:32 PM »

Need some advice. I'm ready to start selling, I have everything I need, my business license, my materials and some good ideas but I still feel stuck.

I am a chronic procrastinator, and it comes from more than just being lazy. I'm not really lazy, I'm a perfectionist. I'm trying to protect myself from failure, because I feel in my heart that I am a dollmaker. I guess I think that if I try and fail at what I feel is supposed to be who I really am, then who I really am is a failure. I know, I know, deep stuff.

But I really desperately need to do this. First of all, because it's all I think about. All day, I'm thinking of sculpting and painting and stuffing the dolls. It's driving me insane. I can't even sleep at night sometimes because of it. Secondly because I really need the money. I work part-time as a server and I hate it. I hate working for someone else, I'm bored at work and underpaid. Since I work so few hours, and get paid so little, I do not make enough money to be financially independent. I think if I were able to make this business work, I could at least make as much money as I do there in a month, which is only about $300! I don't expect instant success, but if I want success anytime in the near future I need to get started. Third, because my supplies are starting to take over the apartment, and my roommates are starting to whisper about it. lol

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem? And how did you overcome it? Obviously knowing what I'm doing wrong is not helping enough to get me over to my work-area. I've tried to "just do it" but once I get over to my work-station, I find any excuse not to do anything productive, like cleaning or setting up my calendar, you know, other stuff I procrastinate on. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010 06:19:39 AM »

If you want to have a business, you have to get over your procrastinative habits (did I just make up a word? Maybe.)

Let's say you finally made the "perfect" doll. Would you actually be emotionally satisfied? Heck no - you'd get bored making the perfect doll over and over again. What makes it interesting is that it's a work in progress that allows you to grow and perfect your skills. Sort of like life. (Oh, my life would be perfect if only...um, riiiiiiight).

Business is full of deadlines. You have to make a doll for a customer and they need it by x-date for a birthday; you need to package and ship your dolls within days to provide good customer service. You have to respond to inquiries quickly. You need to take inventory or log your purchase receipts and sales so they don't pile up into an insurmountable pile of paper just before tax time (guilty!).

Just saying...the dolls will take care of themselves; there are plenty of other things to worry about - hee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dollversity
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010 06:19:14 PM »

Haha, I didn't think anyone would respond at this point. Thanks, and the whole "the dolls will take care of themselves" thing is actually pretty encouraging. I've been worrying that once I get the ball rolling it would get tedious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missdeathlyhallows
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011 06:18:01 PM »

Omg I am so glad someone else is like this. I'm in a similar situation. I'm very crafty and creative and I know I could come up with a billion things. Its all I think about at work, but when I get home I'm so exhausted I just put it off, and even when I'm not I either just put it off, or I start on it, but when it doesn't turn out how I thought of in my head I get frustrated and put it aside. I know if I just made the jump and really put myself into it, I could probably do well. But with the fear of failing  and insecurities it just seems like a lot. :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011 09:01:37 PM »

Omg I am so glad someone else is like this. I'm in a similar situation. I'm very crafty and creative and I know I could come up with a billion things. Its all I think about at work, but when I get home I'm so exhausted I just put it off, and even when I'm not I either just put it off, or I start on it, but when it doesn't turn out how I thought of in my head I get frustrated and put it aside. I know if I just made the jump and really put myself into it, I could probably do well. But with the fear of failing  and insecurities it just seems like a lot. :/

I was so much like this!  Then I started selling on etsy, then I organized a craft show....now 2 years later I have just opened up a real live brick and mortar store!  If it will make you happy, DO IT.  Start small by selling on etsy/craft shows and who knows what will happen!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charivari
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011 02:03:15 AM »

omg! I wish I read this before i started my own post on this topic!

I never really thought my problem was procrastination...

but I feel so similarly to what you described! All day and night I think about having my own business - and deep down I absolutely know that this is what I am supposed to do. I get so excited thinking up new ideas all of the time - but once I made a decision to do it its like I lost that "spark". Its just kind of... very stressful now. and I can't figure out how to get rid of all of this tension - I know I do really well when I'm not so stressed out!

anyway... thanks for sharing- and know that you're not the only one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011 08:10:27 AM »

I just want to let you know that until very recently I have been in the exact same boat. I used to be terrible about procrastinating, it was never that I was lazy, I was just bored and didn't have the ambition to push myself.  I also think I was a little depressed, because, like you I work as a server, it sucks and I hate it.  With graduating University last year, I really felt lost and like I wasn't going anywhere.  What got me moving was that I set myself an ultimate deadline.  I signed up for a local expo, which at the time was in four months, and then I just didn't have time NOT to work.  I couldn't change the date of the expo, and I can't pull out, so in this case, it would certainly be deadly procrastination.  But in the past few months, I have crafted so much, and I haven't been happier.  After sitting down and really looking at my products, looking at my numbers and my productivity, I now have a business plan for the rest of the year that includes going down to working once a week at my waitress job (by the end of the summer!). 

Although I don't entirely recommend doing exactly what I've done, unless you don't mind not sleeping and having a heart attack, I suggest writing out your goals for everything.  Break it up, between crafting, building a website, setting up the business aspect, networking and marketing.  Once you have all of this written down, start prioritizing things, and then start making short term deadlines (such as having three necklaces made, and writing your "about" section for a website by the end of the week).  I also found it helpful to have my goals written out and hanging up where I can see it with places for me to "check off" what I've done.  It constantly reminds me that I have more to do, and makes me feel good when I get to check off completed things. 

Hope this helps a bit!  Good luck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
CeeJayRose
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011 05:46:26 PM »

This sounds like me! lol I want to sell my clothing and I really haven't made anything to sell...I make stuff...but I hate giving it away...but some things I don't mind not keeping but I really need to start sewing a lot more.

I've planned the business part quite a bit. Where I'm going to open store (Etsy and/or Artfire) and that I'll need business cards and tags to be made and how I'll package it (still need to look into shipping costs) and where I'll promote, etc, etc, etc. I've thought of that a lot and I'm excited to start the business part.

Now if only I could build the inventory to open........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missdeathlyhallows
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011 09:05:07 AM »

So since my last post on this page, I've slowly set up my etsy shop, I've made a fan page on my facebook, I've posted pictures of my stuff on my tumblr. Right now, I'm working just making gauges for stretched ears. But I plan on keeping it open and trying new things. I know how you feel with trying to decide on one thing to do, but then change your mind.  Honestly its your business and your store, you can make and sell whatever you want. But my suggestion would to start  out with one thing to focus on. I got the book Craft Inc and the Business planner that goes with it and I have to say it's helped a lot. and I suggest getting it. Once you actually just dive into it and start things it will really give you a boost of motivation. You just have to stay positive, and learn from mistakes! Set small goals per week. Don't try to do it all at once cause thats when you get overwhelmed and frustrated. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mambo Delight
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011 01:39:07 PM »

I'm totally the same.  I keep buying fabrics and things to try to encourage me to get my sewing machine out, yet I just spent a whole long weekend not doing anything with it. 

When I do get going though, I do it by setting myself small goals or challenges.  I might be good at procrastinating, but I'm also good at competing, so if I set myself a challenge to say, make 2 shoe bags by a certain time, I usually manage to accomplish it through sheer stubbornness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Night Out Eye Makeup Tutorial
How to Wear Metallic Makeup
Carolina Herrera Fall 2014 Beauty NYFW
How to Make Your Lips Appear Bigger
This Couple Got Facelifts Together
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...