A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super-Easy Paper Mache Monster Puppet  (Read 6930 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_53_entries , papier_mache , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 07, 2010 12:44:37 PM »

Nothing says “summer project” to me more than papier maché.  I remember making lots of papier maché projects in the summers when I was a kid.  School is out, the sun is shining and you can craft outside and make as much of a mess as you want.  Yup, papier mache is fun, messy, cheap, and the PERFECT summer project.  It also uses lots of recycled materials. Here’s a tutorial for an awesome papier maché monster puppet that can be made by kid and grown-up crafters alike!

You will need:

Newspapers
Cardboard (like from an old cereal or cracker box)
All-purpose white flour, warm water, a mixing bowl
Masking tape
Air-dry or oven-bake modeling clay
Paper towel

One infant shirt (the one I used is sized 6-9 months).  Find one at a thrift store, garage sale, or take one off a baby while nobody is looking.

2 gloves.  I used two latex gloves (available in the first-aid section at the drug store).

Glue gun
3 sticks (I used dowel, but sturdy sticks from the backyard or park will work just fine).

White glue
Acrylic or latex paint, brushes

Step 1: Make a head. Ball up a piece of newspaper, then wrap additional sheets of paper around the ball until it is the size you want.  Use lots of masking tape wrapped around the head to hold. The head doesn’t need to be round. It can also have lots of lumps and bumps (this is a monster, after all). Mine is oblong with a protruding chin.

Step 2: Roll/ twist  finger sized sausages out of newspaper. Shove them into the fingers of the gloves.  Make a palm-sized wad (a flattened ball) and shove it into the palm of the glove.  Tie the ends of the gloves like you would balloons.

Step 3: Mix up some glue.  Start with about half a cup of warm water (warm only because you’re putting your hands in it).  Add the FLOUR to the WATER small amounts at a time, whisking with a fork (or a whisk) as you go. (Adding water to flour gives a lumpy paste. Lumpy paste is gross, slower to dry, and more likely to go moldy).  The final consistency should be that of a good creamy soup. I used a half cup of water and a generous ¼ cup of flour.

Step 4: Rip the newspaper into squares or short strips.  Dip your hands into the paste (get messy!) and rub some glue on the squares.  Slap the squares onto the head.  Use firm hands, stick the squares down well.  Cover the whole head-ball and the glove-hands with about 2-3 layers of paper in this way.  

Step 5: Make a small, nose-shaped ball. Cut some ears out of cardboard.

Step 6: Crunch-up your cardboard ears to give them a bit of dimension.  Dip your hands in the paste and lightly wet a paper towel.  Twist the paper towel into a loose sausage.  Stick the sausage around the edge of your ear shape to give the ear some dimension. Cover the ears and nose ball in 2-3 layers of paper.

Step 7: Using the clay, make some eyeballs (two, or one, or five – remember, this is a monster).  Eyeballs should be partially flattened balls of clay. Make some teeth too.  When you’re making teeth, remember that part of the teeth (the root?) will be hidden by the lips.  Thus, your teeth should be shaped more like a stick of trident gum than a chicklet.  Teeth can be flat, pointy, or both.  Make some fingernails or claws if you want.  Air-dry or bake the clay.

Step 8: Shove one stick into the head-ball (where the neck would be).  Shove the other two sticks into each of the hands (where the wrists would come out).  Glue gun and/or masking tape the sticks in place.  

Step 9: Draw a big wide smiley mouth on the front of your head.  Use a glue gun to glue a row of bottom teeth and top teeth, using your smiley mouth as a guide.  Reinforce with tape.

Step 10: Glue on your nose and eyeballs.  Glue the ears to the side of the head.  Glue fingernails or claws (if you made some) to the fingers. Reinforce with tape where necessary.

Step 11: Make some more paste. It’s time to give your monster two big juicy lips. With paste-dampened hands, twist a paper towel into a loose sausage.  Lay the sausage diagonally across another piece of paper towel.  Fold the towel around the sausage and dampen with paste-hands.  Stick the lip onto the face, letting the teeth show a little.  Make a top lip and stick it down in the same manner.

Step 12: With smaller pieces of paper towel make two more lips.  Wrap one around the bottom of the eye, wrap the other around the top. Now you have some great monster eyelids.  Repeat for the other eye (or eyes, if you’ve got a  many-eyed monster).

Step 13: Use squares and strips of paper towel to blend all the parts of the face together.  Cover the nose, cover the ears –meh, just cover everything. Make some wrinkles and warts.

Step 14: With small pieces of paper towel, make more lips and wrap them around the fingernails or claws.  Now it really looks like the fingernails are growing out of your monster hands!  Cover the hands with a layer pf paper towel. Let everything dry.

Step 15: Now it’s time to paint!  I use a dry-brush technique to paint the monsters.  It’s super-easy and looks really great.
Start with some black paint mixed with an equal amount of white glue.  Paint the entire monster with two heavy coats of black glue-paint.  (The glue added to the paint makes the monster extra-strong.)

Step 16: Load your brush with a medium colour of paint.  Dab most of the paint off on a paper towel or old phone book.  Lightly brush the medium colour onto the raised areas of the monster. Leave some black showing.  Let dry.

Step 17: Load your brush with a light colour of paint.  Dab most of the paint off again.  Brush the light colour onto your monster leaving some black and medium colour showing.

Step 18: Slap some white paint on your monster’s eyes and teeth (Don’t worry about getting everything painted perfectly.  Some black around the edges will look great).  Paint some wonky irises and pupils.  Give your monster a manicure, if you desire.

Step 19: Up until now, you’ve just had a head and two hands on a stick.  Now it’s time to pull out that infant shirt.  Thread the head-stick in the neck-hole and one hand-stick into each arm-hole. Secure with pins, glue-gun, or whatever.

Step 20: Your monster puppet is done! Hold the head stick in one hand and both hand sticks in the other hand (or whatever works). Go ahead and put on a great puppet show!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010 06:50:10 PM by Crafty.Canadian » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010 02:07:30 PM »

Yay! He's awesome Smiley I have the sudden urge to make Halloween monsters for my house Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckyheartscrafting
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010 03:50:51 PM »

So cool!  I love this idea!  I don't have anyone to do a puppet show for, buuuuut I bet this would be really neat to make gargoyle type decorations using black, grey, and silver paints... I want to try that this year fo sho!  Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010 03:57:05 PM »

Great tute! Love your monster  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010 04:51:50 PM »

I think I'll be stripping the shirt off of the next unattended baby that I see Wink

I so want to make one of these! Actually, I want to make several! I'm teaching reading and language arts this year and it would be so fun to use these to have the kids act out stories. Maybe I can have the kids make a bunch for us to use... Thanks so much for sharing this awesome tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Juliana13

smile! it makes people wonder what you're up to

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010 07:41:01 AM »

my cousin just had a baby in Feb. guess who's gonna be naked next time i see him. muhahah
my son now wants to make halloween monsters for the front garden. thanks for the inspiration!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you made it, I'll love it!
I'll swap ya for it Smiley
check out my wists www.wists.com/Juliana13
I'm on Pinterest too! use it more than wists.
Jim LaFleur
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010 08:12:07 AM »

Grin A great monster and a fantastic tutorial, great pictures to see exactly what you did.  Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010 12:54:46 PM »

Oh, that's so awesome! And I love that he's wearing such a straight laced button down shirt, ha ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
MsMoran
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010 03:38:32 AM »

This is brilliant! I run drama workshops for kids, we'll definately be using this tutorial next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mumma troll

Happiness is the harvest of a quiet eye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010 12:04:48 AM »

Being of Troll extraction myself, I love this. He looks very like my uncle Nev.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Backlight Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Getting Started
Canon XSi/450D: Set White Balance Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Shutter Priority (Tv) Function
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...