A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deliciously Inedible Tomatoes (polymer clay cane)  (Read 9145 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_53_entries , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyndy225
« on: August 07, 2010 09:34:51 AM »

Nothing says summer like fresh tomatoes made with your own two hands!

A couple of notes before I begin: When it comes to clay, I’m the kind of person who checks out a couple of tutorials to get an idea of how something could be done. Then I stare at pictures of what I want to make or the real thing to get more ideas of how it could be done. Then I combine all of that into how I want to do it. So, this is how I make tomato slices. There are tons of other ways to make them, and you should find the one that works best for you. Hopefully, though, this will help you in making your own or give you some ideas. Because once you have tomatoes you have the start of many delicious meals...

Deliciously Inedible Tomatoes (polymer clay cane)

1.     Gather Supplies:
Tomato red polymer clay: You can either buy a color that best matches a tomato red or you can blend one yourself. Just stare at a tomato while mixing reds and oranges until you’re satisfied.
White polymer clay
Translucent polymer clay
Sesame seeds

Razor blade: The sharper it is, the better it works…
Work space: I use a big tile I got from Habitat for 50 cents. I put nonslip cabinet liner on the bottom to keep it from moving or scratching my desk.
Pasta machine: Totally optional, but it makes blending colors and rolling out layers much easier and faster

2.   Mix Colors:
You’ll end up with four colors.
Tomato red: Yes, this is the one you started with.
Outer pink: This is the fleshy part of the tomato. Mix a small amount of white with a large amount of tomato red. Look at pictures or butcher a tomato to find a shade you’re happiest with.
Seed mix: Mix translucent with the sesame seeds. Keep adding more seeds until the blend is saturated with seeds (i.e. you can’t add anymore!).
Inner pink: This is the inner core of the tomato. You could actually leave this white, but I like my tomatoes a little more ripe. Mix a little tomato red with a lot of white.

3.   Roll out most of the inner pink (leave a little behind) into a long log. Then flatten one side against your work space and squish the top into a point, essentially forming a long triangle. 
4.   Roll out seed mix into a thick sheet (use the pasta machine if you have one!). Cut a strip the same width as your triangle base and put on bottom of inner pink triangle. Wrap the rest of the sheet around the triangle leaving the top open.
5.   Roll out outer pink into a thick sheet. Do not use all of your outer pink clay! Wrap around the outside of your triangle (you’re now wrapping around the seed mix), leaving both the top of the inner pink triangle and top edges of the seed mix open.

6.   Lengthen your triangle slightly by pulling and gently pressing in all sides. You really just want to make sure that all of your layers will stay together. Let clay harden by sitting out or cooling in the fridge. Then, cut into 4-6 equal sections. (I like 5, it's an odd number.) Remember, variation is the spice of life! This is part of a plant and no two are ever the same!
7.   Roll a small log of inner pink. Position cut triangle sections around the log. Add outer pink in between the sections so that they form a rough circle. Look at the picture to help see where the sections and clay go.
8.   Roll a thin sheet of tomato red the width of your tomato innards and wrap around the outside. Let harden, again either by letting it sit out for about 24 hours (doesn’t work that well when it’s 100 degrees out) or in the fridge until cooled (especially if you’re impatient like me).

9.   Lengthen! There are tons of tutorials and books that will show you how to “properly” lengthen a cane. I usually stick with squishing and pulling. Just remember, no rolling! This will distort the cane.

10.   Let harden again, and then take your razor blade and cut off little tomato slices. If they’re not as round as you’d like, gently round off the edges with your fingers.

(Baked Tomatoes)

Optional step

11. Gather other sandwich making ingredients, and make a delicious sandwich loaded with your fresh tomatoes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010 01:54:50 PM »

Those are really great tomatoes. I love the use of sesame seeds. I love all your other little sandwich yummies too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Brookie5686
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010 10:25:57 AM »

I love you tomatoes and sandwich. However, I was very impressed with your workstation idea, since the last time I used clay I nearly ruined a table.  I will definitely be buying a tile and putting grip on it.  GREAT idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks for inspiring me!

~~~~~~~~~Current Swaps~~~~~~~~~~~
Random Swap Round 3 - Waiting for Partners
MsMoran
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010 11:57:09 PM »

I thought this was a tutorial for a club sandwich when I looked at the thumbnail!

Excellent eork though, will definately try it to stock my daughters dolls house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010 06:22:37 AM »

wow, I'm really impressed  Shocked
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010 06:22:53 AM by Musefreak » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
cutek94
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010 07:24:18 PM »

mmm that sandwich looks amazing <3
i'm hungry now  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting = my love <3
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010 05:53:51 PM »

Wow! Looks amazing!
I had no idea that you shouldn't roll out a cane.  Not that I make them often, but when I do, I always roll.  Now I know to pull and squeeze!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshRx
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010 04:17:05 AM »

Wow that looks amazing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Fire Island Inspired Meal
Nearly No Fat Fudge Brownies Recipe
How to Make Perfect Pancakes
How to Make Crispy French Toast
How to Make a Basic Pie Crust
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...