A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Using a Commercial Sewing Pattern  (Read 36132 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , craft_challenge_53_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meggy_doodle
Professional Daydreamer

Do YOU know the muffin man?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010 07:36:50 AM »

Fantastic tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm going to direct my friends to this whenever they have a hard time using patterns and need help! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/Megnificent

50 Projects a Year 2012:
2/50
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010 01:16:54 PM »

This is an EXCELLENT tutorial! I took creative fashion design in college but commercial patterns still baffle me, I usually cheat (which doesn't always work Tongue). Thanks very much for this! I'll certainly be passing it along.

One note: When I do use a commercial pattern I don't actually cut it out. This is an extra step but well worth it; I trace the pieces onto drafting paper (purchase on the roll, it's slightly see-through) transfering all pattern details and cut that out. It has been exceptionally helpful more than once, like when I cut out the wrong size Tongue but also when I've wanted to make the garment for someone else who was a different size. Just be sure to label all the pieces and put them together into an envelop with details and a picture drawn on it.

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010 01:48:15 PM »

Thanks, craftylittlemonkey!

It's not hosted on Craftster, but I have quite successfully used this tutorial to re-size patterns that I've cut to a smaller size:  http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2008/09/resizing-pattern.html  I don't even usually draw it out, I just pin my original pattern down, and eyeball it, and it works every time!  I've gone as much as four sizes up.  With this, though, I never skip the muslin.  One of these days, I will un-lazy, and start tracing my patterns on interfacing, to keep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010 02:05:20 PM »

Thank you this is very useful information and you may want to tag your tute for the cloud. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
hugarobot
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010 05:40:53 PM »

I was planning on giving up trying to sew clothes but I think this tutorial will really help me, thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010 07:25:44 PM »

I was planning on giving up trying to sew clothes but I think this tutorial will really help me, thank you so much!

Aw, yay!  Check out the brand-spanking-new tutorials list in the clothing section, too!  When I literally cried in frustration over my first couple of patterns, it was tutorials from here that kept me going, and taught me the basics of making clothes out of flat fabric.  Here are dresses:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=355326.0  and skirts:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=355741.0  After one or two of these, I was ten times more confident in my sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010 06:21:03 AM »

Thank you so much for doing this! I have had a sewing machine for years but have yet to spend the time to really figure it out (Despite my STRONG desire to start sewing items!). This has motivated me to try it again. Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
MoonChyld3
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010 07:46:55 PM »

Wow! Grin What a great tutorial! I love how in-depth you went into every step.

I do have one question though - I've just started sewing clothes from patterns recently and I've noticed that I'm one size in the bust measurement, but a totally different size in hip/waist. Any advice for how to kind of combine two sizes to get something that fits well? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzeqz

Easily distracted by shiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010 08:43:57 PM »

I've been sewing for over 35 years and consider myself pretty much an expert by now, but it took YEARS to learn to love it.  How much easier it would've been if I'd had tutorials like this!  It's people like YOU who will help novice sewers (that spelling just looks bad, I know, but I don't like 'seamstresses') learn to love it sooner!  BRAVO!!!

MoonChyld3, most patterns include adjustment lines and instructions if you're more than one size overall.  The sizing instructions may be printed directly on a pattern piece or tucked in between pieces, and there should be additional notes on the intruction sheet itself, on how to fold the pattern piece to shorten or cut it apart to lengthen or even redraw a curve for bust dart changes.  Don't be afraid to take a pattern out and look at it before you buy it!  And Aislynn brilliantly suggests making a mock-up or "sloper" in cheap fabric similar to your final garment fabric (check the fabric store's discount flat-fold tables if you're out of old bed sheets) and noting the changes you make, then remaking it in a fabric you love so it'll fit great.  High-end designers do this, so you'll be in good company!  And don't be afraid to make mistakes and have to rip out.  I'm always tearing out and adjusting for better fit.  (Or because I got in a hurry and sewed two 'front' pant legs together at the inseam...yep, we ALL do it!)  As you progress, mistakes will be quicker to fix, too, and they won't be quite so heartbreaking.

And I always cut my patterns, rather than trace them.  I live by those wisest of words from Craftster's own banner:  "Measure twice, cut once.  Meh -- just start cutting!"  Once you've had some practice and some successes and GREAT TUTES LIKE THIS ONE, you'll be fearless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/suzeqz
Frugal Holiday 3 swap - first swap completed!
likka9
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010 09:28:15 PM »

Wow!! This tute is definitely going in my bookmarks folder. Thank you so much for taking the time to make it for people like me who are totally confused by commercial patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone who thinks sunshine is happiness has never danced in the rain.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Expert Shares The Very Best Earth Friendly Beauty Products
Lavender Coconut Body Scrub
Tati Westbrook: 5 Minute Glam Look
Tati Westbrook: GlamLifeGuru
Katie McBroom: Martinis and Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...