A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need to alter backside of shorts pattern  (Read 141 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thelaughingwillow
« on: July 16, 2014 10:15:43 PM »

Several times now I have made patterns for shorts, only to find the back side too tight across the widest part of my butt.  They also seem to have too much fabric in the front.  I've tried various pattern companies, and various styles of shorts.  What can I do to alter the pattern to give myself more fabric across the back?  I tried simply widening the pattern pieces by a set amount, but that didn't seem to solve the problem. 

Thanks for any advice/expertise you can share with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014 10:06:11 AM »

It could be you need more crotch dept. ( not even sure if i'm spelling it correct)
By that i mean the angle of the backseam could be wrong for your body type.

If you put on the pants that you made, are there any "lines" showing up in the fabric??
Easiest way to look for them is just have someone else take a picture while you stand like you normally do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014 01:53:00 PM »

Do you have a pair of pants that fit well?
Measure the crotch depth along the center back seam from waist to crotch central, where four pieces join.
Compare this to the measurement of your pattern piece, allowing for any difference in waist height (naturally, hip huggers will have a shorter measurement than high-waisted pants).

Turn the good-fitting pants inside out and lay them out as smoothly as possible along the center back seam.  Lay your pattern piece on top, and compare the curve.  If the waists are similar height, match the pattern to the pants there, and see how the two differ along the length and width.  Alter the pattern to match the pants (and sounds like you may need to repeat for the front), then test the pattern with cheap fabric.

Or take apart a pair of pants that fit, and use that for a pattern.  Be sure to add seam allowances, and be prepared for confusing differences.  Fitting pants is one of the more difficult challenges in sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
October 2013 To-Do List
Beauty Buys to Join the Fight Against Breast Cancer
Gwen Stefani Collabs For OPI Nail Collection
How to Find Your Perfect Shade of Foundation
Thirty Seconds to Your Best Brows Ever
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...