A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plus Sized Ruffled "Salsa" Skirt from a Sheet.  (Read 7708 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt_tutorial , salsa_skirt , ruffle , plus_size , craft_challenge_53_entries , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2010 10:27:27 PM »

OK, To start out with I wear a men's 38/woman's 18/20. I measure 53 inches at the widest point of my hips (I call it ghetto booty, LOL). You will need a top sheet from a twin (or larger if desired/needed) sheet set that is of a heavier cotton or jersey. You'll also need enough elastic for a band and/or a pull-cord.

I can say that you will get a skirt from a dorm sized twin top sheet if you are my size or smaller. Bigger hips then mine might get a slightly different result. For inspiration I drew on "A Petticoat for the Ages" on the Anti-Craft site... then I simplified and changed a few things; mostly that math, the ruffle method and the look of the end result. I don't care for math that much and something this simple didn't really need it. This will also use the hemmed ends as I hate hemming.

You must measure your widest part, your hips and then add 4 inches to get your length for your waistband. For me, it was 57 inches. Write your number down. Following directions will yield a 30 inch long skirt.

First lay your sheet out flat on a large mostly clear surface. I used my floor. Don't mind the mess; it doubles as craft room/game room/living room/ dog play area. Use a chihuahua to weight the fabric. Take your scissors and carefully remove the wider hemmed end from the top end of the sheet. Set aside. This will be your waistband.

Measure out eleven inches along the short edge of one of the long sides. You will be cutting a eleven inch strip from each hemmed long side. A cheater's shortcut would be laying the first strip over the second cut strip and just using it as a guide. Only do this if your first piece is perfect. Wink Be aware, the chihuahua will be checking your work! 10 inches will be the width, and the 1 inch will be your hem allowance.

Using your machine (or hand sewing for those into self torment) stitch one set of ends together. Be sure the hemmed ends are together. This is the lowest tier of your dress. At this time you will have a long thing rectangle roughly 14 feet long, set it aside for now.

Now for the top and center of your skirt.
You will need a middle tier and a top tier. The top tier will be your measurement plus 4 (remember that number from earlier?) long and 21 inches wide. If you want a shorter skirt, decrease that number (I'd say no shorter then 11 inches to not look odd) or a longer skirt increase that number. Be sure to leave an allowance for the hem.

I found it easier to cut the second tier before I cut the top piece. It is yet another 11 inch strip that runs the entire long side of the sheet. Set it aside. Measure a rectangle that is your number long at the top (Plus your inch hem allowance) and add two inches (plus hem!) at the bottom. Cut it out. (You may notice in my pictures that it looks like I used two pieces for my top tier. I did. My sheet had a hot coco stain on it.. hence me turning it into a skirt; thing was brand new!) I simply snipped a straight edge and reattached those pieces.)

Working from the bottom.
Lay the center tier out flat. At this point the chihuahua will be watching you from the chair with an air of disdain so you'll have to use pins to affix the fabric to the floor. First affix the ends and then the center. Each time affix the fabric at the center in the same manner (pull the fabric up till it's tight at the center then pin at that point)

It'll end up like this:
with a pinned fold roughly every 1.5 inches or so. Don't fret if it isn't 100% exact. Sew it up using a nice tight stitch. Bottom ruffle, done.

Repeat this procedure for the next tier. The ruffles will be much more subtle at this point.

Next take that wide hemmed end and attach to the top tier as the waistband. Sew it up nice and neat.

Run some elastic (if that's what you'll be using) through the top hem. Pin each end securely at the open end. Sew up the side seam being sure to sew through the elastic. If using a pull cord, insert grommets (sewn or metal) and run cord through the hem and back out for tying.

Lastly, wear and enjoy. It's cool and drapy, comfy in its looseness and based off one of the more feminine and sexy kinds of dresses out there, the salsa dress. Every time I wear it I get some attention, heh. Makes my guy jealous. Grin

http://img42.imageshack.us/g/skirt8.jpg/ Clearer pictures. The hosting here made the red look bleedy.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010 12:36:15 AM by katsrevenge » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010 11:31:10 PM »

Hahaha, your chihuahua commentary is making me crack up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010 09:03:58 AM »

So pretty thank you for sharing. I love that you had a chihuahua to supervise. I do some of my best work with my pets supervising.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
melinda06sue
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010 12:11:19 AM »

my dog supervises my work also, but i'm afraid he cannot weight my fabric for me as he would be taking up ALOT more room than your cute little pup (i own a full blooded chocolate lab) and my dog gets a little testy when I sew at like 3am, my sewing machine is right by where he sleeps  Cheesy ooo animals lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doveylou
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010 04:38:23 AM »

What a clever project.  Nice use of finished edges.  In the absence of a chihuahua, would a flabby tabby be an acceptable substitute?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010 12:16:04 PM »

"the Chihuahua will be checking"
 Cheesy oh goodness.

My dog walks on my projects too... but his white hairs don't like coming off!  Cry (Still better than the girls in my weaving  class that had cats 'helping' them and constantly cutting their strings.)

Anyway--cute skirt! I might have to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
MonicaElaine

Sweet Tea and Sour Pickles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010 10:45:13 AM »

I love the skirt and the tute - definitely will be trying this.  Second - the Chihuahua.  I swear, I have his twin!!  Mine is named Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Dog, a.k.a. Oreo, for the white stripe on his head.  When I first saw yours I had to do a double take.  Only reason I knew he hadn't runaway was because he is laying on the top of the couch snoring in my ear!  Love your whole post!!!! Must do more, with photos of the CHI, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Sweet Tea Sour Pickles Etsy shop, now up and running!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetteasourpickles
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010 03:13:59 PM »

Yay, there are never enough plus-sized reconstruction tuts out there, and this is a great one!  I've bookmarked it and will definitely be giving it a try when I get the chance.  Thanks for this! 

Oh, and the dog?  Adorable.  And this is coming from a cat person. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010 05:19:36 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! Smiley

As for the chi, she loves the attention, LOL. She's more like a cat when it comes to being on top of any crafty thing I do... so I just work around her and her hair. Smiley And her name is Kali. She's currently under my foot. If I do any more of these (I've still that bottom sheet and would like a red dress..) she'll probably have to check my work again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
CorvusMorgana
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011 04:17:42 AM »

our dogs have a lot in common. when my dog sees fabric, she goes over to it and lays down. UGH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take a Good Photo in a Swimsuit
How to Use a Reflector to Add Fill Light
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
Multiple Exposures in Macro Photography
Using the Right Lens For a Close-Up
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...