A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carry all Beach bag  (Read 6210 times)
Tags for this thread: beach_bag , tutorial , craft_challenge_53_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2010 02:24:28 PM »

This bag is great for carrying all the swim suits and towels needed for that trip to the pool or the beach.

Beach bag Tut
Materials needed:
6 fat quarters any colors
2 yards coordinating fabric
2/3 yard 1in elastic

Trim all 6 fats to the same size I usually go as close to 18 x 21 as possible but depends on your fats.
Take this opportunity to arrange the folded squares to decide how you want the bag to look. Iron fabrics before beginning.

Sew the the fats in 2 rows of 3 sewing the shorter sides together first for the row of 3.
Once you have your shorter sides together then you can sew the 2 rows together.

Now iron the material and lay and pin the lining fabric to what you have sewed. I found it easiest to line up the material closer to one side of the fabric to use it as a guide.

Starting on one of the short ends. Sew around the material and leave an opening on one of the short ends large enough to fit you hand in and out of the hole, for turning and working the elastic.
Turn your material and iron edges if desired.
Run a seam in around the bag leaving open the area for turning on the shorter end.
Trim any excess lining material off. Don't discard this we will use it for the handles. I was able to use the unused fabric to the side of the sewn part for the handles.
On the longer sides you need to now sew a casings for the elastic to go.  On the long side of your material mark in from the edge 1 inches. And sew a seam starting 5 inches in from the short end and ending 5 inches in from the other short end. Cut the elastic in half one piece for each side. And thread it through the casing. Securing the elastic on both ends.
There will be a lot of material on the elastic but it stretches very nicely. And the Elastic will be a tight fit in the casing this is ok.
Close the end used for turning the material. Using a slip stitch or how you normally do this.
Now is the time to run a decorative stitch or a straight stitch along the seam lines of the patches. ( not needed but helps keep the fabric together.)
In order to create the casing for the handles you need to take each short ends and fold over 2 inches and sew the entire length of the side. Do this on both ends. You can fold the fabric either way but if you fold the lining fabric over on to the top it gives it a more patchwork look to the bag and make it reversable.
Handles are made from the left over lining fabric.  Cut two pieces the width of the material  4in x 36 in
Fold in half land sew one end short and the length of the material leaving one end open for turning. Turn the material and feed it through the casing to close the handle you can tie in a knot or close how you see fit.
I like to Just seam the ends together and slide in inside the casing and sew a seam.
Repeat for other handle.

There you have a great beach bag. Great to hold lots of towels and things. Also easily washable and dries out very fast. Make a smaller bag with only 4 fats for the gym, or to carry craft projects. Ideas are countless.
The four Square bag.

This one is for my Sister in law and it is used in the summer she loves spiders and Halloween so this is for her taste. But still a large bag. There are Three towels in the bag and still plenty of space to spare.

Changes needed for a four square bag:  Changes are here but instructions still the same.
one yard of fabric
4 fat quarters
yard 1in elastic
Handles are cute 3 inches wide and handle casing is fold over 1 1/2 in.

Hope you enjoy!!
Have fun and don't forget to show your bags for others to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
alorralora
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010 02:37:51 PM »

I LOVE this!!  those colors are a so bright and cheerful, and I want that ducky one so bad!  totally rockin this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010 02:50:50 PM »

I love this too!!!  I've been trying to come up with an idea of what to make for PE bags for the kids next term, and I think the 4 square one will be perfect, plus I've promised to appliqu their names on the outside, so I can just do that on one of the FQ's before I start!

PERFECT - and super easy instructions - thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
SoCraftyTal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010 05:59:55 PM »

Great tutorial - THANKS!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to get notified instantly when someone adds a project of yours as their favorite? Support Craftster and unlock more features as a Friend of Craftster!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010 06:05:07 PM »

This is awesome! And it would be great for all kind of things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennilocker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010 07:39:40 PM »

For a person new to sewing this was an awesome tutorial!  Thank you! (and this totally rocks)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010 08:05:17 AM »

This is great tutorial, I can't wait to make a few of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010 09:19:44 AM »

They are very quick and easy to whip up I can make one in an afternoon. Thanks for looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010 10:45:10 AM »

This is JUST the project for my huge collection of fats!  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
melinda06sue
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010 12:21:24 AM »

This is a great tutorial! Where I live you can buy FQ'ers for a dollar a piece and buy fabric easily for dollar a yd. so you have a big for ahhhh 8 dollars or so...thanks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is Olivia Palermo Going Back to Reality TV?
Make a Splash With 3 Gorgeous Poolside Outfits
Running in Style This Summer
Eliminate "Back Fat" With the Right Bra
How to Deal With Bra "Spillage"
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...