A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,319
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I line a knitted bag  (Read 519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Estcookie
« on: May 16, 2005 03:28:59 AM »

I've just felted a little tote bag, its really cute, but I need to line it.  I haven't the first clue on where to start, can someone help me please?
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

of troy
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005 07:14:16 AM »

the simplest way, it to lay the bag on the lining fabric, and trace around the bag. (chalk is a good tool to use for tracing)

add 1/4 inch or so for seam allowance on the sides, MORE at top edge.

sew up the seams, turn inside out, (think about adding a pocket to lining!) and slip into bag, sew inplace along the top edge.

if the bag has a flat bottom-- plan how you are going to get the lining flat.

you can sew sides (a pillowcase shape) then fold corners, and make a flat bottom shape --

grab a pillow case.. right now, and see what i mean.

one end is open, the other end is fold or seamed
one side is seamed (sometimes 2, but at least one)

take the side seam, and starting at the lower corner, press it (by hand) next to the bottom--
(for about an inch or two) you'll have a 'corner' of a square shape --with the seam line running down the center (If you had a whole square, instead of just a corner, the seam would be diagonal)
FOLD the corner, (at RIGHT angles to the seam) Pin the fold in place, (use safety or strainght pins. and look what shape the bottom of the pillow case has.. one side (Unpinned, is a flat pillow case shape. the other side has a bottom, and 3 sides. (front, back and side with seam)

If your bag has a bottom, you need to shape the lining like this --(if the bag bottom has rounded 'corners' then you round the corners of the seam)

Its much harder to explain than to do, (play with paper, or look at how brown paper bags or fancy shopping bags are folded/tucked to get sides, bottom and fronts and back.

If you want to add more support to top of bag, (and give it some shape) between the lining and the bag, sew in some 'plastic canvan'

Plastic canvas is like a needle point canvas, its under $1(US) a sheet (9X12 and it comes in double sheets (12X18) it can be cut with a scissor, and its filled with holes, so its easy to sew in place.

I have seen knit bags fully lined with plastic canvas to give the a real structured shape..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missameeames
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005 09:32:22 AM »

While it basically says the same thing as the above post, here's the link to illustrated  instructions from HelloKnitty.com

http://www.helloknitty.com/pdfs/Lining.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Concealer Hacks for Under Your Eyes
Kerry Washington Tweets About Scandal While In Labor
VF NEWS: Emanuel Ungaro - Fall 2015 - Paris Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
The Ultimate DIY Pedicure
15 Genius Eyeliner Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...