A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday Funness!!! August 6, 2010  (Read 3889 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010 06:12:34 PM »

amazing_784 -- post it, for sure!!  We want to see what you've got!  

Jexxican, your sweet comments about my yarn made my week!!  I'm so new to spinning and usually scared to post my yarns because I worry they're not very well spun.  Thank you -- I feel more confident about posting now!!

ETA:  I say SKANE, but who knows if that's correct?  Grin

Edited again to add this link from the online Merriam-Webster dictionary (because I was so curious I couldn't resist looking it up.)  According to this, it is pronounced SKANE: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skein
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010 06:17:41 PM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010 06:50:38 PM »

I got some fiber and a drop spindle from the July Birthday swap earlier this week.  So far I've spun 4 oz of undyed merino and a beautiful piece of roving...not sure how much.  I want to dye the 2 hanks I made of the undyed, and the other roving (which was really pretty colors) is resting for now.  Can I post that?? Pretty please? Smiley

Oh please do post pics!!!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HunterJumper33
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010 06:22:58 AM »

Thanks everyone & beautiful stuff as always and after reading this I'm not even sure how I say skein anymore!

@tcmatteson: thanks! the sweater will be short sleeves & hopefully I will be able to take a decent picture of it on me once I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop Rosemary Lane Design: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RosemaryLaneDesign
amazing_784
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010 08:56:57 AM »

Ok so I'm posting!!
First off, this:

Became this:

The thick and thin was the first go at anything.  Not terrible, but I learned a lot.

The singles was the second try:

Also, this:

became this:

there were some really cool color changes in it:

Its still wound around the back of a chair until I can set the twist.  The other two haven't been set yet either, but I want to dye them before I set any twist.  Hopefully I'll be able to post that soon too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010 10:13:57 AM »

amazing_784:  That white thick and thin is so fluffy I want to dive right in!!  It looks like clouds!!  And I LOVE the purples in that second one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A_WRIGHT
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010 12:38:37 PM »

Everyone's yarns look awesome.  I agree that the white merino looks just like big, fluffy clouds.  I love colors but pure white merino just can't be beat, it matches everything.  You did an amazing job on it amazing_784, it looks MUCH better than my first few attempts at spinning.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.lewbugcreations .etsy.com

Handspun Yarns & Hand Painted Roving
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010 08:51:14 PM »

I only just started spinning - my neighbour gave me a drop spindle (bottom whorl) and I grabbed some roving off her (she's an ex felter and I only took a couple of bags cause I wasn't sure if I'd take to spinning. Now, of course, I want MORE roving so I'll have to ask her if I can have some more.)
Anyway, it's a little worrying that everyone says top whorl is better, and I'm not sure I'm doing it specifically CORRECTLY (I don't knit "correctly" either - ie my hand positions etc aren't what you're supposed to do, but my knitting ends up the same so why worry?) but hopefully what I'm doing is Ok. there are lots of tutorials out there and a lot of the information conflicts with each other. Anyway, I draft the fibre before I spin it, and I spin the spindle with my left hand and feed the fibre on with my right, which is apparently the reverse of how you're supposed to do it but anyway.

Here's my show and tell
that bluey-grey is wool roving that I spun up. My first go, so it's rather curly - I'd already set it. The stuff on the spindle is spun more evenly - it's alpaca top, randomly dyed. I have a lot of that.

My second skein of yarn - single, the aforementioned alpaca top. This is before I'd set the twist.
Two things I'd like to do - I want to see if I can spin a really really fine lace weight, but I've heard that bottom whorl isn't good for that. In some bits I did get it quite thin, but I'm not sure if I could do that consistently.
Also I'd like to ply yarn, but it seems bothersome to only get half as much yarn as I'd spun in the end. Also cause my singles are at least worsted weight, I'm worried it'll be way too thick if I ply it. Hrm.
Sorry for all the writing :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010 09:34:01 PM »

Ludicrouslouisa - Did no one warn you spinning is an addiction? lol =)  I don't believe in 'supposed to' or 'the correct way' when it comes to most things art and that most definitely includes spinning (knitting too)! If you're drafting and putting twist in the fibers, you're spinning! I pre-draft my fiber a good bit before I start spinning too. There's something very Zen about just drafting out the roving (without spinning at the same time)...I love it. Everyone has their own opinions about top vs. bottom whorl...which one is better, which one is better for which type of yarn. It's the same with spinning wheels, the wheel that one spinner absolutely loves may not do it for another. Don't worry about 'supposed to' just worry about what feels right and works for you. It's more about creating the yarn that you want to create. Also, you mentioned plying...if you ply the yarn with itself you will definitely get half the length of yarn but you can ply two yarns or ply your yarn with thread of some sort without losing all that yardage. Your yarns look great!

Amazing yarns from everyone...as per usual, lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010 10:33:25 PM »

Awesome yarns this week! I'd comment on every one of them but I'm so tired. Wink I'll have some to show this coming Friday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010 12:20:59 AM »

Ludicrouslouisa-- as someone recently told me, just ply it, you'll love it.  Really it totally has a different feel once it's plied. 

As for drafting, I take the stance on not drafting unless needed, like if its' really felted, I draft as I spin.  I think it's all a personal stance.  Check out Abby Franquemonts videos on youtube on spinning, she's the ultimate spinning guru.  Wait here's her first vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUORvO-GZE , I still refer to it at times. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 Awards Show Season Fashion Recap: Comfort Vs. Sexy
Best & Worst Dressed List At The 2013 SAG Awards
Celebrity Street Styles: Jay Z, Jessica Alba and Heidi Klum
Save Love Give Campaign - Vera Launch at the United Nations
"The Rachael Ray Show": Twin Mother Makeovers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...