A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help those who know ANYTHING about early 1970's female hippie style!  (Read 11591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010 02:49:59 PM »

Cheesy I'll try not to dip them in my food!!

Just making my head wreath now! I did have ivory, red and blue flowers, but I'm scrapping most of them and just keeping it simple with just the red ones Smiley

Ooh, and alwaysinmyroom, I won't have the leggings on come saturday, I just had them on today when I threw on the kaftan for the picture Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010 02:51:38 PM »

oh--sorry--wow--you are going to look stunning with your head wreath--such a lovely woman, you are! *sigh*  the hippie boys are going to want to do a love-in with you! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erikau
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010 04:02:49 PM »

I don't think we had leggings back then that I recall...

We didn't have leggings, but we did have body stockings!  I had a brown one when I was a freshman in highschool.  They itched, and heaven forbid you need to use the bathroom.

loukr, have fun this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010 04:09:32 PM »

Oh my gosh, you look awesome! I just about died when I saw the close-up of your fabric Cheesy That is the absolute CUTEST floral ever! See about straightening your hair that morning, unless the humidity is too killer to matter. Mom says (from experience!) that clothing irons really do work on hair  Shocked

LOL @ Alwaysinmyroom! You can adopt me as soon as I can fit into my denim catsuit again. I'm not selling that puppy til there's no hope, haha Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010 07:13:47 PM »

you look fantastic!
Id think about keeping those glasses, they look good on you.
S
Oh and have a blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2010 07:17:49 PM »

Hey, that fabric worked really well! And the sunglasses really do make it special. If you do get to iron your hair super-straight, it'll be totally groovy! But I have to say I'm not sure about the slip showing at the bottom. That somehow seems totally 21st century. Would a hippy girl ever wear a slip at all? Probably not. (Perhaps nothing at all, but that's more authenticity than necessary, especially if you're likely to get wet!)

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010 06:05:32 AM »

Speaking of catsuits...I saw that violentjane made two jumpsuits that very much reminded me of the aftermath of the hippie movement...the beginning of the 1980's!!!  ha ha shall we reminisce about those years?

I brought my wedding album to work to scan in my dress...I was surprised to see lace on the collar because I thought for sure I was anti-lace back then!!  The pics are from 1976 and I suspect it was "fashion" trying to copy the real hippies in some way...I did, after all, buy the dress...I laughed when I saw the floral long dresses the mothers wore...omg...I think my mother still has that dress in her closet! It also has lace on it...go figure! I will scan the pic at lunch and post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2010 01:31:34 PM »

ok--no laughing allowed...

Here I am in 1976 in my offwhite wedding dress and flowers...notice the center part and the flowers...I am wearing my mothers Japanese pearls but she was miffed that I did not wear a veil...and, how about my hubby's corduory suit?  You can't see it, but he has a ponytail...Cheesy

And get a load of the mothers' dresses!  Floral, polyester, long and kinda ugly... Cheesy

Cheesy

Now your turn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FrankieBeans
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2010 02:19:23 PM »

Those moms were totally rocking the original Maxi-dress!

I was born in the 70's, but my elderly  aunt has a closet full of that stuff.  I remember looking through her closet when I was a kid and being kind of embarrassed for her.  Lime green poly pants, with purple bells that hung like they were flower petals, anyone?  Or, maybe the russet brown and flaming orange poly tunic in geometric shaped prints?  Yeah. 

Can I criticize?  I recall alot of flourescent, rubber and fishnets in my wardrobe. (Cindy Lauper and Madonna wannabes... you know the look) blech!  I was SO happy that I got out of that look and into the grunge.. torn pants and logger's flannels.  /end sarcasm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2010 09:14:47 PM »

HAHAHAHHAHA oh man! You weren't kidding about the mother dresses! I actually really like your mom's dress, but I'm a sucker for big floral prints Tongue Both you and hubby look so great Cheesy

Oh gosh, if we're posting pictures...

That's the "Euro" blouse under my catsuit, with a sealskin "coin" belt (supposedly it was my father's mother's mother's from the 20s). Gotta love that giant wingtip collar! It literally goes all the way out to my shoulders, and the catsuit's collar is almost as large Cheesy Most contemporary clothing is just sooooo boooooring! Too bad I put on a bunch of body fat, because that catsuit has no stretch at all Tongue I'm gonna have to make a couple jumpsuits a-la ViolentJane!

Ok Mr. Wulf, now I just GOTTA see what an anti-fashionable hippie you were Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeffrey Deaver Talks About The Burning Wire
Interpreting Character: Shakespeare
Amy Hill Hearth Talks About Strong Medicine Speaks
David O. Russell and Andrew Auseon Talk About Alienated
Will Bunch Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...