A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help those who know ANYTHING about early 1970's female hippie style!  (Read 9035 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010 06:32:14 AM »

I will definitely scan a picture of me in my dress!!  ha ha

Wulf--you make such wonderful social commentary...I paid less than $75 for my wedding dress, which included hemming of the slip, dress and georgette overlay...and now, the dresses are ridiculously expensive and the marriages often do not last!

Oh Alexus1325--I just want to adopt you!

I have been saving that "thick" polyester knit for years (it will NEVER disentigrate Cheesy)...lots of "tacky" colors and plaids...I remember having to use a meat mallet to pound the seams flat and lots and lots of steam!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010 06:32:40 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010 09:44:03 AM »

WOW another load of wonderful responses!!

I love that you're all having so much fun reminiscing, in 20 years time I'll be doing the same thinking about the 90's and 00's!.. eesh!

Just thought I'd update on the outfit front!

Right.. unfortunately the caftan is just too delicate to wear on Saturday. there are more holes than I first thought and the seams are coming open.. it needs a re-work big time but I will definitely sort that out one day! Smiley It's such a shame though as it looks great on!

BUT I figured.. since I had bought 4 metres of fabric to make my (failed) maxidress, I would make a kaftan out of the pattern of the green one since the fit is just so fabulous! I ironed the original and got to work on making a pattern, lengthening the sleeves as I am still in love with the sleeves on this dress: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockcandyrags/3687959629/in/photostream/

Pattern made, neckline very slightly adjusted from the original, I've kept the most part of it the same though. Same length etc. I've learnt how to do proper facing on the neck, and I've learnt how to achieve a slashed neckline. VERY complicated to someone who has a "deficit in working memory" as my dyslexia examiner told me a couple of years back! But now I know how to do it, it'll be a breeze next time (I hope!)

Fabric cut, overlocked, sewn and now all I have to do is hem the.. hem, and sleeves, and sew down the facing and I'm done!

The main reason I'm using this fabric is that the vintage bed sheets unfortunately just aren't big enough for the pattern I've made Sad The other reason is that I had bought some artificial flowers from hobbycraft to make a headwreath out of that would match the maxidress, and I'm still really keen on making it!

Here's a snippit of the fabric:

To finish off the outfit, I will have my floral head wreath, some sandals, a little slip to go underneath the caftan with a lace trim around the bottom (that I'm secretly hoping will poke out the bottom of the dress) AND I have some actual VINTAGE tortoise shell Armani sunnies that a friend want's me to try and sell, what better way to advertise than by wearing them Tongue http://www.vintage-designer-sunglasses.com/armani%20613%20sunglasses%20tortoise%20&%20gold_1.jpg I'm not sure if they're 70s, but they're the closest I'll get to granny glasses in the time I have.

I will probably belt the caftan up with either a skinny plaited leather belt or a thick waist belt, and I have a small leather satchel (different to the one I linked to earlier) if I have time, I actually have a half finished macrame bag somewhere I could sew together to make a bag! tehee!
I have feathers for my ears, and some bangles Cheesy I'll dig into my jewellery stash later! (I get free jewellery every month through my job! I have my own treasure chest FULL of the stuff!)

PHEW!

And Wulf, of course there will be plenty of action shots come Sunday if I can get to a computer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010 10:43:29 AM »

Sounds wonderful!!!  You have put so much thought into this and your effort will be rewarded with a cool outfit that you put together for yourself in the spirit of the hippies!

and, uh, you will be reminiscing over 40 years from now...Wink

Can't wait to see your pictures...I bet the entire event will be so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010 11:19:01 AM »

Ooh goodness the event will be AMAZING! I so so so can't wait!!! I'm also taking my darling step-daddys cosmic symbol (lomo camera) that he gave me before he passed away last month, it's not working at the moment so I'm frantically trying to get hold of my OH to get him to bring over a few screw drivers and fix it so I can use it!

The only down side is that the weather man says we're expecting rain on saturday. NOOOO!!!! How am I supposed to promote designer sunglasses and wear a summery floppy fabric HANDMADE kaftan in the pouring rain?! lol!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010 11:26:38 AM »

It rained for days at Woodstock...things got muddy and ugly and it was so hot...so, the thing to do is to go naked... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010 11:52:44 AM »

It rained for days at Woodstock...things got muddy and ugly and it was so hot...so, the thing to do is to go naked... Cheesy

teehee! I think I'd get chucked out of Goodwood if I took all my clothes off! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010 01:33:10 PM »

OK GUYS!!!

Here I am, looking like a bit of a fool, and the picture is a total out of focus piece of cr**, I'm sorry! But here's my personal version of HIPPIE!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010 01:59:50 PM »

You look great! The cut of your kaftan reminds me very much of my mom's wedding dress (circa 1975). I hope you have a blast at your event!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2010 02:19:13 PM »

Beautiful!  Love the sleeves.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010 02:49:05 PM »

The center part and the sunglasses are a nice touch!  I know this might be too late since the event is Saturday, but have you tried a pair of cut off jeans under the caftan instead of leggings?  I don't think we had leggings back then that I recall...the floral print worked out well!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010 02:49:48 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Tight Curls With a Hair Straightener
How to Get Wavy Hair with a Curling Iron
How to Curl Hair with Hair Straightener Iron
How to Add Volume and Bounce to Hair
Bespoke Labs T3 Tourmaline Featherweight Dryer Review
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...