A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 306,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help those who know ANYTHING about early 1970's female hippie style!  (Read 14220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010 04:39:17 AM »

Hassle-Free Clothing is a wonderful find! I'm going to have to start looking for a copy of my own. And you can't beat it for authenticity! Thanks for the great tip.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010 06:01:41 AM »

That sounds like an awesome book and I will see if it can be found around here. We do have a couple of good used book stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
erikau
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010 09:16:29 AM »

Wulf is absolutely correct about the difference between real hippies and middle class fashionistas.  If you're going for an authentic look, you should be examining photos from music festivals and protest rallies instead of TV programs and movies.

None of your fabrics are quite right for a real hippie, you should try to find an old Indian (subcontinent, not North American) block print cotton bedspread.  Loose, belled sleeves (not gathered/cuffed), unless it's an embroidered peasant style blouse.  Natural fabrics--obviously mostly cotton.  Leather hats, sueded leather vests--preferably with fringe--crocheted ponchos or shawls.  Jeans should be threadbare and patched extensively.  Either a tooled leather purse--with a braided strap!--or an 'ethnic' woven bag (the kind of bag that's one flat piece folded in the middle with seams run up the sides) with a long strap.

The basic criteria are as follows:
1.  It should be (or at least look) hand made.  If not by you, then by that guy on that farm down the road who taught himself leatherworking.
OR
2.  It should be (or at least look) old/used.  Remember hippies were all about reuse. Also remember that it should look like it would have been old/used in 1971, not just now.  A polyester leisure suit looks old NOW, but wouldn't have worked at all THEN.
AND
3.  Ethnic is good.  Dashikis from Africa, cotton prints from India, beadwork & leatherwork from North America, embroidery from anywhere.

Have fun, and post pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010 10:39:53 AM »

I dug out the pattern heres the pictures, the copy right date is 1975

What brand of pattern is this?

It looks like a Simplicity. That's an educated guess, because I've spent a lot of time browsing old patterns and the '70s envelopes are my favorites for nostalgia rush.

Try browsing some of the old sewing pattern sites that let you search by decade. There was some great stuff in the '70s. Some peasant-y, ethnic-inspired stuff, like dashikis and caftans, and the expected bellbottoms and halters and flowy sleeves, but also a lot of A-line skirts and simpler things that remind me of '40s fashion, if you look at the lines of the garments rather than the groovy seventies fabrics. I like it all.

For an authentic hippie clothing book, check your public library for The Illustrated Hassle-free Make Your Own Clothes Book, by Sharon Rosenberg and Joan Wiener. I've written a rambling review, but a quicker taste of it can be had by seeing the paperback front cover and a few scanned pages. It was reprinted a couple of years ago, but without the original introduction (boo!) and with a new cover photo (understandable). There was a sequel, Son of Hassle-free Sewing, but that hasn't been reprinted; if you can get your hands on it, it had a lot of photos of the authors' hippie friends.

Thank you!  That's what I thought and I finally found it online! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010 10:59:29 AM »

Hi guys, wow thank you so much for the huge response! I've had a look at all those links & will check out the book when I'm at the pc (I'm using my silly phone at the moment!) for now I'm absolutely in love with this dress solitaire posted http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockcandyrags/3687959629/in/photostream/ and have found a pattern similar, just without the sleeves so I will add them myself if I have time & if I decide on that dress as the sleeves I feel are the best part of it!

I'll post a proper reply this evening when I'm at the computer. Thank you all so much for your help, keep it coming! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010 11:03:51 AM »

You sparked a great convo with your question!  It was fun looking up the links and sharing stories with fellow hippies or those interested in this period!

omg--please please no one mention those horrid leisure suits--somebody on Craftster might decide to make one ! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010 11:18:15 AM »

Horrid leisure suit??? sounds like my kinda thing! show me show me!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010 11:25:40 AM »

Oh, I'm at a pc now by the way! So after this post I will be re-reading all your lovely replies and checking all the links out properly!

For now, since I've fallen in love with that beautiful maxi dress, I've bought this pattern http://butterick.mccall.com/b5181-products-7764.php?page_id=155 and was planning on using the long illustrated version (floral pattern) and then add my own sleeves but Im not sure which fabric to use now as I love the flowey-ness of the fabric in that flickr link.. I had a look in the fabric store today and only came away with a lightweight polycotton that will only do for the actual dress but won't be any good for sleeves. hmmmmmm the only other thing I was thinking is to take THIS

Which I've just found stuffed at the back of my wardrobe :/ but doesn't fit me up top, and alter it to have the deep V-neck as then it's give me a bit more erm.. 'breathing' space, but I'm reluctant to cut into a perfectly good vintage garment.. what would you do?
I got it off of fleabay for 99p last year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010 07:14:17 PM »

Go find and watch the movie "Woodstock" for real hippie clothes.... you can probably Google image search "Woodstock" and get the same ideas, too.

lots of long flowing garments or bell bottomed jeans...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010 08:24:53 AM »

It was stinking hot and rainy and muddy at Woodstock...cut off shorts and nudity were the "clothes" worn the most Cheesy

I love the vintage dress you show...I definitely would not cut it up!  It does not look hippie to me, more like 27 bridesmaid dresses! Cheesy

The pattern you chose is lovely, but I would try to make it out of ethnic fabric or your sheets to keep it from looking like "hippie fashion"...I think if you choose the right accessories, a headband, hat, wreath and open sandals, you can pull off the look...do you have round wire frame glasses you could use?  That was a popular look!

I can't wait to see your final outfit--it will be just fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...