A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
284 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Messenger-y diaper bag with zip-off changing pad.  (Read 8206 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boingo82
« on: May 16, 2005 12:39:59 AM »

As seen on this thread:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=33151.msg281351#msg281351

Right-click any image and choose "Show Image" to see it bigger!!

You will need...

sturdy interfacing

a yard each of outer and lining fabric.

1/2 yard or less of some sort of waterproof, wipe-clean stuff for the changing pad.
      (For the love of pete DO NOT USE PVC. Trust me. Use something NOT sticky   or you will end up wanting to flush your project down the toilet.)

2 matching zippers at least 18" long, up to 24" long. They MUST be separating zippers, and get the sturdiest, chunkiest ones you can find. The ones I used on this example were a little too petite.

Some sort of hardware for hooking the strap on. Or something.

I wanted a bag 11x14x6, so I cut the following pieces.
2 28x15 pieces for the changing pad. One of the outer, one of the waterproof stuff.
4 15x12 pieces for the front/back. 2 outer and 2 lining.
4 12x7 pieces for the sides. 2 outer and 2 lining.
2 15x7 pieces for the bottom. 1 outer 1 lining.

To get started, I separate my zippers and grab 1/2 of each. I do this because even 2 18" zippers are slightly different, and I want each to match up with its own "mate" when the bag's together.  I mark the 1/2 point on each zipper and on the cloth.

With right sides together I pin the zipper between the outer and the waterproof stuff.
VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure the "outside" of the zipper is facing the "outer" fabric, not the waterproof.

I do the same to the other side.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the "separating" ends of the zippers are both toward the same end  of the changing pad.

I sew down the sides with a zipper foot, staying about 3/16" away from the zippers. I sew up the ends leaving an opening to turn the changing pad.
I turn it right side out and get this:

If you have done this right, you should be able to zip the pad into a long tube at this point.

NEXT INTERFACE ALL OUTER PIECES.

Next I take the 2 "side" pieces, 12x7. I find the center of the zipper again, and the center of the fabric about 1" down.  I pin the zipper as shown..dunno how to explain it.
IMPORTANT: Again the "front" of the zipper must face down, so the pull is against the fabric.

Baste as shown around the zippers. This totally sucks to do, you will have to lift and reset the presser foot a lot around the corners, probably.

Now's a good time to put on strap-holder-thingies. Also I have pressed the TOP part of the zipper up and stitched it. DO NOT DO THAT on the sides, but do on the top.

If you want to, now's a good time to put a pocket or something on the front of the bag.
I put one on, then pinned the side onto the front. I stitched along the edge over the basting. Well close enough anyway.

Open it up and see this....

Repeat for the other side.

Sew the bottom on....

I then sewed the back on and put the inside together. As when making any other bag leave an unsewn part in the lining to turn the bag through.
I set the lining in the bag (right sides together of course) ....

Stitched around (broke 7 needles in the process Roll Eyes ) and turned it inside out...

Then topstitched around the top edge which looks cleaner.

Zipped the top on and had this:

Ask questions if you have any!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ace
andthen some stuff

i love kitty kisses.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005 12:50:14 AM »

is that a small child under the table... or like a doll holding it up>?

(sry i usaly notice strange things in the background before the actual subject of most photos)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.....in bed
Gierma
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005 12:57:08 AM »

This is fantastic...

I bet that my sister would love to get on of these...

She'll just have to have a second baby first...

I'ts brilliant...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boingo82
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005 01:04:45 AM »

is that a small child under the table... or like a doll holding it up>?

(sry i usaly notice strange things in the background before the actual subject of most photos)

Yep, that would be my 1-year old, Blake. He was throwing silverware and tupperware on the floor while I sewed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ace
andthen some stuff

i love kitty kisses.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005 01:32:52 AM »

.. okay i was startled and then started thinking about making a table out of cabbage patch dolls for the legs....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.....in bed
starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005 06:19:17 AM »

Great Tutorial and timely too. I have to make a diaper bag soon for a gift and have been slacking.  I need to review and digest the info you gave.  If it works out, I will post my results.

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005 07:17:19 AM »

Ahhh! I love you so much! Someday...someday...I WILL make one of these (I'll letcha know how it goes)

One question: On the 8th picture...you said not to stitch the sides, but to stitch the top, is that backwards? I just looks to me like the sides are stitched and the top isn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
boingo82
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005 11:43:50 AM »

Ahhh! I love you so much! Someday...someday...I WILL make one of these (I'll letcha know how it goes)

One question: On the 8th picture...you said not to stitch the sides, but to stitch the top, is that backwards? I just looks to me like the sides are stitched and the top isn't.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have added a 2nd line ot stitching on the tops, folding the zipper upward and stitching so it stays upward (and is now right-side-out). However the side zippers still have a single row of stitching and are facing inward, and are still wrong-side-out.
Does that make sense? It's so hard to explain this stuff when not in person.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005 12:58:43 PM by boingo82 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
henri

Good for nuthin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005 12:05:49 PM »

Thanks so much for doing a tutorial on this!  I just found out that I am pregnant and this is the perfect bag.  I can't wait to make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather be bitten by a snake than walk thru a spiderweb and not know where the spider is!

My Blog:  http://allthingsshea.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: http://www.sjmercure.etsy.com
On Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/sjmercure
amemm
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005 04:02:17 PM »

Great tutorial - I'm going to have to try this one soon..

I cracked up though when you get to the first set of zipper pictures, and saw the little person half hidden under the table!  Too funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Closed Book
How to Draw a Sofa
How to Assemble a Scrapbook
How to Make a Haunted House
How to Make a Pinata
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...