A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gibbous for bigger girls?  (Read 3580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OrangeKnickers
« on: August 05, 2010 02:33:11 PM »

So, I have been really inspired by all of the Gibbous inspired projects here on craftster and really want to give it a try, but I'm a little concerned.  I'm a big girl.  I'm almost 6ft tall and am a 22/24.  I'm afraid that what looks beautiful and magical and fairy-like on a smaller girl will make me look like a big pile of rags.  I'm going to cross-post this on the Gibbous sew-along thread, but I thought I would pose the question to those who are more familiar with dressing similar body types.  Do you have any suggestions of what type of item I should attempt in the Gibbous style that won't make me look even bigger?  Any and all suggestion would be helpful  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Will do private swaps for keys, cogs, and steampunk goodness.
OmaDJ
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010 08:22:29 AM »

Go to the Gibbous Fashions site, click on "diary" and scroll down to the "hannah patch skirt".  Made with mostly vertical scraps, and not as poufy as some of their styles.  I'm a sz 26 who is making herself a similar style in black and white fabrics and trims.  I bought a black pecncil skirt at the thrift store, and am gradually adding the fabric and trims.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OrangeKnickers
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010 02:13:51 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Awesome McTastical
Pretty much amazing.

Live your life so the devil cries when you get up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010 08:40:57 PM »

I'm 5'11 with terrible posture and I'm a size 18/20 (usually. Sometimes bigger by brand.). And what I've discovered is that if I feel good in it, I don't care. I've had a plan for a gibbous corset in my mind for a while and only just started it today. And I generally don't think corsets look good on girls with my body type and weight. But ya know what? I already feel hotter just knowing how cool the piece is. And I think with Gibbous, the CLOTHES are the point. It's wearable art. So it doesn't HAVE to be the most flattering thing in the world.

On a note that I think is more what you're looking for! Cheesy What flatters you is going to largely depend not on the simple fact that you have 'more cushion for the pushin', but the way said cushion is distributed.

STRAIGHT - If you're like me, you don't really curve. I'm like a tic-tac - - the same size all the way up and down! So I'm doing a corset to be able to cinch in my waist and make it curve a little more, instead of that more masculine up-and-down silhouette I'd get with anything else.

HOURGLASS - This is general curveyness. It's what I USED to be, and I'm workin' on it again! You don't want to shorten your frame, so stay away from any fabric or construction that makes the eye travel horizontally. Especially on and 'big and tall' girls, vertical or diagonal is the BOMB! Aside from that I think really anything can work on you if this is your shape. I would suggest, however, staying away from anything too loose. Like a flowy empire waist, which will just devour you. If you got it flaunt it!

PEAR - Tiny up top, wider on bottom. Of course. I'd suggest putting most of your detail across your boobs, if this is you. With a pear shape, smaller boobs and bigger butt. You want your boobs to look bigger or your butt smaller. There's not too much I can suggest for minimizing butt (I have an unfortunate lack of butt so I never dealt with that problem), but I know maximizing attention to boobage helps bring a pear closer to our middle-ground hourglass.

So for instance, with my corset, I'm doing the same basic construction all over, but I'm coming in with particularly lovely trim over the bust and shoulders. I have a brooch that will sit somewhere on my bust, haven't decided if I want it center yet or not. All that will make my boobs look bigger, which I don't need. HOWEVER, the construction pattern I'm using creates lines that will draw the eye of onlookers from my sides to my bellybutton - - an illusion trick to make myself look thinner. ((So good tip for bigger gibbous girls - USE LINES! Don't jumble it all up randomly. Have a secret agenda!)) That with the cinching of the corset will narrow my waist. Then the bottom of the corset is going to have some nice trim, and the top of my skirt is going to have some awesome beading or something done in almost horizontal diagonals to widen my hips.

See, it's all about illusions. I'm never gonna be skinny (unless i keep running, but that's beside the point!), but using lines and details to draw the eye where I want it to go, I can give the illusion that my body is one of the best danged plus size bodies there is! And that goes for ANY fashion, not just gibbous. A 'pile of rags' to use your example, can, when properly assembled, make ANY body type/weight look attractive. Just figure out what YOU need to accentuate to give the illusion you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an artist and crafter. I will privately (and happily!) swap anything I can ship in an envelope!
OrangeKnickers
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010 10:47:02 PM »

I've had a plan for a gibbous corset in my mind for a while and only just started it today.

You should check out the Gibbous sew-along.  (Sorry, I'm new to Craftster and am not sure how to link yet. Roll Eyes)

Thanks for your advice.  I'm going to start out with a skirt and try to get a handle on the style.  I'm hoping that later on I can attempt a dress.  Most of the sewing that I have done in the past have been costumes, but I'm itching to make some normal clothes.  LOL... of course Gibbous isn't "normal", but you know what I mean.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Renstar
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010 03:18:54 PM »

Wow, I think I now have a plan for my awful top that I am hoping to reconstruct.  I was inpired by the gibbous thread but there was an awful lot of 'what works for slim jims won't work for me', in my mind!

I am now a little bit further forward in the planning stages, something I have never really done before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012 09:46:41 AM »

I love Gibbous! The style is just so beautiful. BUT I have always had the fear that it might not be quite right on me because of my size (5'10", hourglass, about a sz 16/18)
I gathered all of my supplies to make a work-appropriate blouse inspired by gibbous (lots of lace on the front & kind of scrappy) but never got up the nerve to do it.

Right now, I am in the process of making a dress for a colleague who is exactly the frame that all of the tattered clothing is shown on. It is going to be gorgeous! I am hoping that it will give me the confidence to try it out for myself, and go from there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
time
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012 08:06:37 PM »

Sorry about bumping an old thread but I wanted to respond to jezebel_1982. It's not the tattered aspect that you should worry about. As long as the piece itself was *fitted* at your thinnest part you should be to pull it off. Take a look at the 'pierrot' coat in her diary. Also the 'tabitha' skirt above it is an A-line silhouette which is flattering to a fuller figure as long as it doesn't pull across the hips and tummy. Also consider the styling that goes into an outfit.  mighmes adding a belt to define your waist or pinning a brooch to an area so that that area is more defined can work wonders. Also remember that  anything that makes you feel like a million bucks is worth wearing even if it isn't the most flattering item in your closet. Poofiness can also be toned down so that you get the look without the visual weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012 07:56:06 PM »

I agree, time! Fitted in the right place for the asset you want to accentuate (beautiful bust, waspy waist) and flowing from there still creates a fairy look. My mom's a 22/24 and she just loves shirtdresses but they don't fit so great and are just so stiff for a fun-loving lady. Gibbous-inspired, I put it on a croquis and LOVED it with some fluttery 3/4 sleeves for her comfort (always covers her upper arms, personal preference).

An A-line shape with extra poof looks more full, as long as it's not lumpy. The quilting on top over and slightly under the fitted part and flowing from there is beautiful on plus-sized ladies (and really chubby, extremely short girls.)

I'm 4'10" and curvy, but almost perfectly vertically proportional. If I were an average height of 5'9", I would fit the RTW fashion industry's "plus-sized" tag, and I accept that. I like to fit my waist and flare from my widest point to look like a cupcake (ala Lolita style) but it's not acceptable in most fashion standards since it makes me look shorter and wider. *Pshaw, as if I cared about that as long as I look cute and the items fit my shape.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012 07:56:45 PM by PixieSkull » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013 08:58:47 PM »

You could always find a dress pattern that is flattering to you,and make it in some cheap light weight fabric and do patchworking and the quilting ect on top of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion at the 65th Primetime Emmys
How to Choose the Right Bra
Marios Schwab - London Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Designer Biography: Roland Mouret - Videofashion
Designer Biography: Chloé - Videofashion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...