A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I LOVE LAMP.  (Read 6543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grammardog
« on: August 04, 2010 07:45:32 PM »

About 15 years ago, I bought a cheap paper lamp, kind of like http://www.brandlighting.com/images/fire_farm/1A-T1R.jpg this one. Eventually I knocked it over and ripped the paper shade, natch.  I'm a notorious penny-pincher and hate throwing useful things out, besides, so I bought some rice paper and recovered it.  But I did kind of a lazy job, plus I knocked it over within a week and ripped it again, anyway.

I've been cooking up a plan to someday make a chandelier with paper circles, so I decided to give this lamp a re-do in a similar style to see if it would work, and here is the result. I used a utility knife and sandpaper to scrape the glue from the lampshade off the metal parts.  Then I used a circular punch on vellum paper (YESSSSS THAT PACKAGE OF VELLUM I BOUGHT AT A YARD SALE TEN YEARS AGO FINALLY CAME IN HANDY!), poked holes in each circle with a pin, and strung them together with jump rings. It was kind of slow going, but I learned some tips for my future chandelier, and I knocked out half of a season of Degrassi Junior High, so.  Everyone wins!  I think it looks pretty cute.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Insignia
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010 08:17:51 PM »

That is a great looking lamp!
and kudos for recycling Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EllaRain
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010 08:19:01 PM »

Your lamp looks so good  Cheesy.
I have been thinking about trying to do something in a similar style as I think that the shell chandlers look so nice. The vellum paper has a similar feel but I worry about having that fragile of paper so close to a heat source. Did you have to do anything to prevent a potential fire hazard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
grammardog
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010 02:50:30 AM »

Your lamp looks so good  Cheesy.
I have been thinking about trying to do something in a similar style as I think that the shell chandlers look so nice. The vellum paper has a similar feel but I worry about having that fragile of paper so close to a heat source. Did you have to do anything to prevent a potential fire hazard?

Thanks, guys!

EllaRain, I didn't do anything to prevent it being a fire hazard, because the previous shades were also paper and I never had any trouble with the lamp being too hot.  I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I feel confident that it'll be fine as is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010 06:46:32 AM »

That is so cute! And great that you recycled Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chezlin
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010 06:46:27 PM »

This lamp is awesome, it reminds me of my childhood... my mom had a bunch of those shell chandeliers when I was a kid.  So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010 02:26:36 AM »

Neato! I love lamp too! Kudos for the Anchorman quote!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hair Color Last Longer
How to Style Your Hair with Mousse
How to Style Your Hair with Wax
How to Style Your Hair with Gel
How to Style Your Hair in Liberty Spikes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...