A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Sweater  (Read 2617 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EllaRain
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010 10:12:06 PM »

Thanks for the kind words  Cheesy

Could you give directions on how you modified the neckline.

I did not really know what I was doing so I am not sure if this is the best way to do it, but I can try to explain what I did. When I got to the point where I thought the neckline should be, I bound-off that section in the front then turned around and knit in the other direction rather then finishing the circle. (there is probably a technical term for this that I do not know.) So I just knit around the back then when I got to the other edge of the front turned around and knit back in the other direction. At this point you really have to start reducing the shoulder. This was the hardest part for me because I was not reducing fast enough and I had to unknitting and starting this process again. Even after I redid it the shoulders still came out a little boxy. Eventually I got the point where I needed to bind off the back neckline. I put one shoulder on an extra pair of needles and just worked on one side at a time going backward and forward and reducing like crazy until there was nothing left to reduce because the sleeve had been completely knit together. Then I did the same thing on the other side.

Ok, so lets assume I can knit a scarf with ease, and have done a few hats but nothing on the round.. any possibility you can give me an idea of how difficult this is. Ive read the pattern and the only bit Im having trouble understanding is how to attach the sleeves. Is it difficult?

It really was not very hard. I had only done one other thing in the round (a hat) when I tried this but I did not think knitting in the round was any harder then using straight needles. The sleeve was the hardest part but by the time you get to the sleeve you are kind of ready to try something a little more exciting then just pure ribbing. I used the magic loop method and it took me a little while to learn to knit tight enough to not leave ladders. Attaching the sleeves was not very hard in comparison. The pattern does a good job of describing the process, though it is kind of hard to picture until you are actually doing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
crystabrittany

my 4-year-old cousin is my idol.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010 11:28:22 PM »

*mouth agape* This is your FIRST sweater?! 

My first (and second, eh hem) sweater(s) went straight from the needles to enjoying life as a cat bed.

Girl, send some of your sweater-making-magic my way.  Smiley  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Positivelyy
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010 12:15:56 PM »

It's lovely! I'm currently working on my first sweater as well, so much work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ankonym
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010 03:22:09 PM »

Wow - amazing job for a first sweater! It fits you very well, and I love your interpretation of that pattern! The stripes look really nice.

I also really, really like the modified neckline - I thought about knitting this for a bit but also didn't think I would really wear anything so far off the shoulders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Best Shot on Your Digital Camera
Tailor & Shoemaker - The Sartorialist for AOL On
Celebrity Photographer Bruce Weber LIVE
Bruce Weber Demystifies Racy Abercrombie Shoots
Bruce Weber On Why He Axed Cindy Crawford From A Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...