A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Upcycled milk crate to cute scooter top box - TUTORIAL with pics  (Read 2065 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , scooter , milk_crate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JitterbugTina
« on: November 25, 2013 01:03:38 AM »

Let's face it, the range of scooter top boxes out there are pretty limited. You can fork out $200+ for a brand box with limited space and limited aesthetics, strap on a wicker basket which does nothing to protect your gear from flying out, or attach a milk crate and let everyone know you grew up on a farm and like to chew on straw.

Milk crates should be the ideal top box, but they just aren't pretty. And I care about pretty. So, for all those chic-conscious motorists out there, here is an upcycle you'll definitely want to bookmark!

You will need:
- 2 milk crates
- Some kind of saw
- Staple gun
- 1.5 metres of tablecloth material (waterproof, durable and cheap!)
- Zip ties
- Scissors
- Measuring tape
- Clip, hook OR button (for latch)
- File (optional)
- Serrated blade (optional)

Instructions:

Take a saw and one milk crate. Carefully saw around the base on all four sides until the bottom comes off.

This will be your box lid.

Optional: If you want to get pedantic, use a serrated blade and file to even out any jagged edges. This will also prevent material from tearing.

Take four or five zip ties and secure the lid to your other milk crate. Don't pull too tightly, or your lid won't be very flexible.

Edit: Before you secure the lid, staple measured material from next steps. I found it quite difficult to secure once I had already attached the lid, although this might have something to do with my never having used a staple gun before...

Measure your lid. Allow a couple of inches around each side for tucking under.

Trace your measurements onto the wrong side of the tablecloth material. Cut the square.

Start stapling! I started off with really dodgy gunning, but it is just so easy after a while and I got a little too into it... so much so that I actually ran out of staples and had to finish this with double-sided tape. Don't get carried away unless you have the ammo handy.

Measure and cut the rest of your material. I wrapped one long piece around three sides and used a shorter piece for the back and bottom, which made things nice and neat.

A seriously stapled box!

Poke scissors through the lid and box at the front - two holes each - for a latch. Find some kind of hook, or even just a button.

I found this handy dandy clip and it did a great job. Thread zip ties through both ends and attach latch. Secure!

Take your box to your scooter and poke some holes in the bottom for... you guessed it, zip ties.

Attach the box as tightly as possible.

And that's it! Congratulations, you now have a scooter top box that is durable, weatherproof, and most importantly, stylish!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013 01:43:11 PM »

This is so smart! Thank you for sharing your idea and tutorial!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learning to Embrace Your Frizz With Taren Guy
Loc Updos for Weddings
How to Get the Perfect Chain-Braid Updo
How to Get Twisted Bun: An Upgrade for Mid-Length Hair
How to Get a More Textured Curly Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...