A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Pie Crust Tutorial (Pastry Dough)  (Read 4833 times)
Tags for this thread: pie_crust , tutorial , craft_challenge_53_entries , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2010 04:14:05 PM »

FYI, we won't include this in the final poll.  Wink

So the Mod Squad kept lamenting that pie crust was sooooo hard and they couldn't do it. And I was thoroughly confused. Cheesy  I've made my share of pie crust and it never seemed that taxing to me!  Batgirl swears it's just because of my genes. So since I came down to see my grandma for her birthday I figured I could enlist her help in creating this tutorial. She *is* the queen of pies and she taught me everything I know! Hopefully this tute will ease your mind and let you make your own crust from scratch. I promise you can do it!

Now, this amount will yield between 5 -7 crusts. Anything you're not going to use right away you can easily freeze! I'll tell you more at the end.

Ingredients:
5 & 1/3 cups of flour
2 cups Crisco*
2 tsp salt
Cold water **

* Grandma says use that particular Crisco. Silver with blue writing. Sticks are great because they're pre-measured and easy. That's what I use because that's what grandma uses! You could surely get away with Crisco in a tub, but I won't experiment further from that. You can though if you want! Oh, and this is important MAKE SURE IT'S COLD. I just keep in the fridge. Smiley
**I have ice water pictured but had to take the cubes out as we were using it. Just make sure it's cold and you're good!

Here are the tools you'll need right now:
Large Bowl
Measuring Cups (not pictured, I guess we were too excited!)
Measuring Spoons
Pastry Blender (Don't skimp, now. Go out to Target or wherever and buy yourself one. I'm serious!! They're not that expensive.)

For later:
Cling Wrap or a Ziploc Bag
Pastry cloth (You can skimp here if you want. I don't have one but they make life and cleanup easier)
Rolling pin and cover (Again, you won't die without the cover but really, it helps)

Measure out your flour.  Grandma says RESIST THE URGE TO SHAKE IT. If you need to move it around to make it fills your measuring cup, just move it around with a spoon. If you shake it you'll get too much flour packed in there!

Add your salt and mix it up.

Add your Crisco! Now, pull out that pastry blender, this is its time to shine. Wink  Start cutting up the Crisco and mixing it into the flour mixture.  

Keep doing this until you have lots of little balls of Crisco and not really any plain loose flour.  This is the consistency you're looking for.

Now, add 8 Tbsp of cold/ice water.  Use your pastry blender and mix! See how it's forming a dough where the water is? Smiley

Now add 8 MORE Tbsp of cold/ice water around the area that hasn't turned doughy yet. Use your pastry blender and mix!

In theory that should be enough water but it generally doesn't work out that way.  You're going for a really soft smooth doughy texture, but if not everything is getting mixed in add a leeetle more water. Maybe a Tbsp or possibly two at a time. It's better to have to add more times than to overdo it! This is what it looks like right at the end of mixing with the pastry blender.

Now get your hands in there and mix it up JUST A BIT! You don't want to overwork it and make it tough, you really just get it all combined and make it more of a single lump. This is what you want when you're done. It's very soft and smooth!

Cover your bowl in cling wrap. If the wrap won't cling, just push it into a Ziploc and MAKE SURE all the air is pushed out. Put it in the fridge for about an hour or so. It can stay longer if you need it to and less if you're really in a rush. I've made a pie straight after making the crust before (no fridge time) so that's doable but not advised! If you can wait it'll taste better.

I'll be back later to show you how to roll out your dough! Right now though I promised you more info about freezing.  Whatever you want to freeze, make into patties roughly the size of what you'll need for a crust.  Just pop them in the freezer in a freezer safe ziploc! When you're ready to make a pie or pastry, just take what you need and leave it on the counter and it should thaw relatively quickly. Smiley

(Also, are there any vegans who could confirm or deny that Crisco is vegan? It is vegetable shortening but my vegan sister was all antsy about the two ingredients she didn't understand. Tongue)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 11:42:00 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010 05:20:13 PM »

Bless you! I am going to try it this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010 06:47:39 PM »

Hooray for homemade pie crust! I proselytize it to my friends all the time and can't understand why it has such a bad rep. There's really nothing like a good flaky crust holding your filling together.

I use my mom's secret recipe, which works out in almost exactly the same proportions as your grandma's. For some pies, we substitute in some apple cider vinegar for the water (about 1/4 of the water, depending on your tastes). It doesn't jive well with super sweet cream pies, but it's just spectacular with fruit pies!

Thanks for the awesome tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010 07:34:16 PM »

Thanks for sharing your tutorial. This is something truly special to capture and share.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010 07:36:41 PM »

ps. as far as I know Crisco is vegan. What were the ingredients she wasn't sure about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010 07:47:29 PM »

I've never had a problem with pie crust either, but I learned from my mum who learned through trial and error. This seems about the same as what I do, I just don't usually make that much.

Gotta love the butter flavored crisco.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010 08:01:33 PM »

ps. as far as I know Crisco is vegan. What were the ingredients she wasn't sure about?

TBHQ. No idea what that is. I'm also not sure what MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES are really Cheesy but I don't think they're animal product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doyouloveanapple
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010 09:47:28 AM »

Well TBHQ is tert-butylhydroquinone. It's a phenol used as a preservative. I have no clue where it comes from, but I'm guessing synthetic.

Mono and Di-glyceride are both fatty acid chains that are bonded to glycerol molecules (either one-mono, or two-di fatty acid chain). They can be from either plant or animal source, and they can also be synthetically made. Commercially diglicerides are mostly from soy or canola. They are used as emulsifiers in processed food.... Thanks undergraduate chemistry Smiley

I'm going to guess that because they are way cheaper to manufacture not from animal sources, and because there is no reason to sneak some meat into a vegetable shorting that it's a pretty safe bet that Crisco is vegan.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010 09:51:53 AM by doyouloveanapple » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010 10:59:17 AM »

Sweet!

I also did a little sleuthing and PETA says it's vegan so I trust them!
http://www.peta.org/accidentallyvegan/veganshoppingqs-baking.asp?category=baking

I'm about to go roll out dough now! (For the fourth pie we'll be making this morning!) I'll probably add that bit tonight or tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010 04:50:39 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank youuuuu for this tutorial!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: Posture and Hand Position
Crochet for Beginners: Triple Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Single Crochet Stitch
Increasing and Decreasing and Dropping Stitches
Crochet for Beginners: How to Join Motifs or Make Seams
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...