A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make No Melt Popsicles ...and healthy too!  (Read 7007 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_53_entries , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EKO

http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2010 03:20:26 PM »

No Melt Popsicle Tutorial
Cantaloupe and blueberry flavour

I have 2 Young girls at home and many nieces and neighbours that like to visit my place and with the weather being as hot as it is Popsicles have been in high demand.  I hate artificial flavours, colours and added sugar so I have always tried to make my own when ever possible, I also find that little ones often put them down and forget about them at times in places you dont see (like last week my 3 year old left hers on the end table in the basement for a least half an hour before I noticed, and since it was one of these she was able to pick it up and finish it!) and you dont want a big sticky puddle, So I came up with these popsicles they are easily made with fruit and juice from your fridge maybe that two ripe fruit that you need to use up ( that is what this batch was made from) try it out and see how many flavours you can come up with!

Ingredients and tools needed:

Food processor (or blender even a potato masher would work)
Measuring cups (4 Cupper and 1 or 2 cupper)
Measuring spoons
Small bowl
Mixing spoon
Sauce pan
Popsicle moulds or paper cups and sticks

Cantaloupe or other Soft Fruit to blend (watermelon, peaches, canned pears all work well too.)
Blueberries or other fruit to stir in
Apple Juice or other non citrus juice or water
Unflavoured Gelatine powder or flavoured if you want

Step 1

Cut up your Cantaloupe and blend until liquidy and measure the amount you have, in my case it is about 2 cups.

Step 2

Pour into a separate measuring cup your apple juice to make a full number of cups of liquid in my case that will be a cup of apple juice to make 3 cups total.

Step 3

Bloom your gelatine.  I used 4 table spoons (2 packets) of gelatine (follow directions on your package) for 3 cups of think juice.   Blooming means put a small amount of your apple juice into your gelatine and let set for 15 min to begin desolving and avoid lumps.

(opps dont know what happened to the photo of this I will add some next time I make a batch)

Step 4

Place gelatine and the rest of your apple juice in a sauce pan and bring to a low simmer to fully dissolve the gelatine. Then remove form heat and let cool for 5 min or so.

Step 5

Mix apple sauce gelatine into cantaloupe mixture. And place in fridge for about an hour to begin setting stir once.

Step 6

Remove mixture from fridge and mix in blueberries ( I used a full pint).

Step 7

Spoon mixture into the popsicle mold. (Yes I have a crazy amount of molds as I only one to do this every few weeks)

Step 8

Freeze your popsicles.

Step 9

Unmold and enjoy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me at my blog

Current swaps
sss23- all sent and all received.
buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010 03:43:57 PM »

Awesome..bookmarked this to try when I get groceries ( I need some unflavored gelatin) ...my son is 2 and loves Popsicles.  I've been making some w/just clear juices, but I'd love to add fruit as he goes crazy for them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mangomerle
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010 05:07:27 PM »

I don't even have kids and those sound awesome. I've been meaning to get some unflavored gelatin for making marshmallows, now I'll have to pick up some extra for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010 06:37:39 PM »

What an awesome idea! I have leftover gelatin from a pie recipe and now I know what to do with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010 07:48:44 PM »

Great idea. You can use agar agar too, but gelatin is probably more accessible to most people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
EKO

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010 01:49:23 PM »

If you dont mind the berries all floating to the top and the fact that if left out they will melt they can be made with out the gelatin and still taste great.  you can avoid the floating berries by freezing and stirring the mixture for a while before filling the molds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me at my blog

Current swaps
sss23- all sent and all received.
A2JC4life
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010 04:14:11 PM »

Haha; we have at least that many molds, too.  Smiley  Whenever I have extra smoothie, I pour it into popsicle molds, and then we generally have a variety in the freezer at any one time.

I never thought of adding gelatin to melt-proof them, though.  That's pretty cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010 06:33:49 PM »

who knew you could make melt proof popsicles?!  I might have to find some unflavoured gelatin and some popsicle moulds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meniana
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010 07:03:15 PM »

Great recipe. As a diabetic person, I love the fact that there's no sugar envolved! Thanks, I will try to make some soon (it's too cold down here for popsicles...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raennn
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010 10:13:11 PM »

Oh cool! I'm a slow eater, and I think popsicles are too cold to bite into, so when I was a kid I always had to eat popsicles w/ a bowl. This would have been awesome! I need to get some molds. Where is the unflavored gelatin sold? Is it just near jello or is it obscure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is confusing, just when you think it's over it throws you a view like this and you don't know where you are.
- Evy in Driving Lessons
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Soy Glazed Chicken Recipe
Pork and Ginger Soup Recipe
How to Make Chinese Wok Fried Beans
Chef Gordon Ramsay Vs Take Away Food
Sri Lankan Venison Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...