A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: slouchy hobo bag (the tinafish way)  (Read 337217 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinafish
« on: May 15, 2005 09:58:50 PM »

okay...so many of you have asked for a tutorial for this purse and i FINALLY have one!! let me warn you though, this is my first full fledged tutorial with instructions and all. i did the best i could, but it's a very detailed bag. i took as many pictures as possible so hopefully that will help. here's the link to the other hobo slouchy purses i made..

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=30792.msg258503#msg258503

anyway on with the show....

you will cut 2 of these for the interior and 2 for the exterior

here are all the pieces. the ones on the far left are key...they will be attached to the zipper and you will start with those.
you then have the body of the purse (interior and exterior) and then you have 2 pieces (at the bottom of the photo) to create the strap for your shoulder.

you will sandwich the zipper between one zipper piece of each the interior and exterior. make sure the top of the zipper (outside face) faces the good side of the exterior fabric.. you may want to unzip the zipper to make this process easier. oh and cut the zipper to the length that you want for the opening. make sure to sew at the end of where you cut so that if you accidentally unzip it all the way..you don't waste an entirely good zipper...this has happened to me... the shorter the zipper the smaller and scrunch-ier the purse.. my zipper is about 12".

this is what it will look like once you finish both sides and both interior and exterior. this picture shows only the interior side.

then take one of the interior body pieces and pin in place with pleats. i start from the middle of each piece (zipper piece and interior body) and pin them to keep them centered...then i pleat and pin..space them accordingly so that once you reach the end where it curves that it will line up with the end of your zipper piece. which by the way...the zipper piece should be just a tad longer on either side of the length of your zipper.

do this to both interior body sides.

now you want to put the good sides of the interior body pieces together and sew them...like so.

make sure you leave a space..this is where you will turn your purse inside out at the end.

now you will do the same to the exterior fabric. pin and pleat and sew.

open it up and face the good sides of the exterior together and sew..this time don't leave a space like the interior pieces. unzip the purse more than half way so it's easier to turn inside out.

now where you left the space...turn the entire purse inside out.

and this is what you get when you turn your purse exterior side outside. you will have holes on either side of the purse unfinished for your strap.

put one side of your strap in the hole and turn this portion of the purse inside out so you can sew it easier. 

and basically wrap your purse around the strap and sew. make sure the zipper ends are lined up and close to eachother.

...... and TA-DA!!!  Smiley

thanks for looking. looking forward to seeing yours!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

here's my new one.

the request was for it to be silver and yellow...so this is what i came up with...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010 10:13:20 PM by tinafish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhoenyxStyx
Headspinning Prophetess

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005 10:00:08 PM »

Great tutorial, and I love the bag. Good job. I'd like to try this out sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005 10:00:22 PM »

that bag is awesome!! and the tut. is great too Smiley now all i need is cute fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
summer_loves_pi
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005 10:01:48 PM »

oh wow. i really like that bag. i am going to have to make me one of those. good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lili
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005 10:02:13 PM »

ah! i was just looking at your first post, and i wondered if you ever made the tutorial. thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danger.kitty
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005 10:35:10 PM »

my god, the finished part is so cute it makes me want to try my hand at sewing something from scratch that's a little harder than a pillow case.

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005 01:48:46 AM »

Awesome tute, and awesome bag! I'm definately gonna make me one of these!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005 07:09:58 AM »

Yayyyy! I was just looking at your other post, thinking...when is she gonna give us a tutorial?!?! But I didnt wanna be a jerk and ask again, teeheehee. Then I just happened to stumble across this here, thank you so much, I plan on using it. When I do, I'll post my results for you to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Loveliness
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005 11:27:13 AM »

The bag looks great! I like the pleats a lot. I have to try your tutorial some day.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terin
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005 11:52:42 AM »

This bag is perfect.  I must tame my sewing skills by the end of the month to make one for roommate's birthday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Style For Men
What Jeans to Buy in New York
How to Dress Casual Yet Chic
How to Shop Soho Street Vendors
How to Add Style to Summer Outfits
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...