A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Antique Labels for the Kitchen  (Read 9269 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_53_entries , label , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 04, 2010 07:10:06 AM »

I started this project in the hopes of making my kitchen look more organized and at the same time adding a vintage or antique charm. I adore vintage things, paper especially, so in this project I'll show you how to make lovely vintage/antique labels for your kitchen cannisters (like flour cannisters or even spices).

In my kitchen I have lined up all my herbs on top of the cupboards and it looked like this:

The entire project took about a day, but that's only because scraping the old labels off the cannisters took forever.

So without further ado, let's begin!

1. I bought a pack of mailing labels from Staples - the ones I used for these big herb cannisters is Avery's 05163 (2" x 4"). I then went to Avery's website (www.avery.ca/templates) and downloaded a Microsoft Word template for my particular size of labels.

2. Then I went to Deviant Art and under "Resources", I searched for "frames" and found a set that I liked. I opened up Photoshop, made the image black and white and then moved it over to Word where I inserted the various names of the herbs I had on hand. I had 30 cannisters and so I printed off 3 sheets of labels:

3. Here's the labor intensive bit - scraping off the old labels. I thought that because the labels that were already on the cannisters were old that they would be easy to remove - boy was I wrong! I used a knife to scrape off the majority of them, but the bigger labels I ended up soaking off. As per the comments I received when I posted this a couple of days ago - alwaysinmyroom suggests using Goo Begone or Goof Off to remove the labels.

I gave the jars a good cleaning before starting on my next task.

4. I wanted the labels to look antique and so I applied my tried and tested method of using tea to make the labels look vintage.

I boiled the kettle, put 3 teabags in a cup grabbed some kitchen tongs and picked up the tea bags and essentially painted with them onto the labels, letting the excess water run onto parts that were still white. Now - I was worried that the heat and water from the tea would take away the sticky from the labels, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't waver even slightly. So I set them on the towel on the counter, covered them with the towel to soak up the water as they dried - it took a couple of hours. If you're in a hurry, you can try baking them at 200 degrees for 5 minutes (which is what I do for aging paper), but I didn't try that method on the labels and I don't know for sure if that would change the sticky on the labels.

5. And the final step, and perhaps the most satisfying - is to apply the labels to your cannisters and put them back on the shelf.

^ Here's two of the cannisters, the Lavender and the Eucalyptus Leaf - I love how these turned out!

^ A closer look

^ As a bonus, I also had these other two cannisters (though I haven't decided what to put in them yet) that held really terrible chocolate that I threw out because I bought it for the cannister Cheesy

^The closer one reads: Eye of Newt and the further one: "Dragon Scales"

^And a further away finished product on the shelf

^And a closer final view.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the project Smiley

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010 07:11:56 AM by Arachnea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennilocker
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010 07:45:18 AM »

Not only am I envious of your labels but I want your spice collection too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010 07:50:23 AM »

Wow I'm really surprised how much of a difference just changing the labels made. The jars look like part of the room now instead of just being stuck on top of the cupboards.

And what do you use all your spices for? The only time I've seen that many is at the store, lol. I barely use all of mine before they go bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wewilltaketothesea
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010 08:37:13 AM »

Wow, what a great idea! These look so pretty in your kitchen!

(And I also am envious of your spice collection- I pretty much just have salt, pepper, and Old Bay!)  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010 09:05:34 AM »

My mom was an herbalist and had ordered rather large amounts of herbs from a company in San Francisco, but she wasn't into it any more and they were passed on to me.

I'm Pagan and have used some of them in rituals - others like cloves I use in recipes here and there. Mostly, though - I really just like the look of them atop the cupboards - adds a certain feel to the kitchen that I just love Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010 09:40:57 AM »

I would've been nervous that the tea water would make the ink run.  They're beautiful, though.  (If I try them, I might do the tea part first, let them dry, then run them through the printer afterward.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A_Bit_Crafty

It's not a mistake. It's...um...a design feature.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010 11:05:32 AM »

I'm jealous of everything I see here.  The kitchen, the spices, the cabinets, AND the labels!  I think I have some labels in a drawer that need a make-over...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010 05:08:35 PM »

They look so pretty! Makes me want to sort through witchy cupboard and clean it up a tad Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010 03:34:18 PM »

They look so pretty! Makes me want to sort through witchy cupboard and clean it up a tad Smiley

Thank you Smiley Summer is a great time to reorganize, I find - I get so much more done in the warmer months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SailorMaat
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010 06:38:16 PM »

oh wow. I was thinking of a nice way to label my teas and random spices. Your idea would be great to use.
The next time I have a day or so off I have to try this out for myself.
By the way. I am so jealous of your spice  and herb collection. I would love to have something like that.
Oh and the Eye of Newt and Dragon Scale is perfect. I'd put something random that would look the part in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kick it Off #3-Soft Focus & Screening
Kick it Off #4 - Setting Type Part 1
Digital Makeup - Lenoir Lashes - Part 3
Rembrandt Lighting in Photoshop
More Hair Stuff for Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...